My Draft redo

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Avila starts at LG now moves to C next year when Tylers contract is up
2. Hyatt gives us a deep threat we haven't had in forever to open up things underneath. Way better than a meaningless TE.
3. Ika isn't far off from Mazi and he is 2 rounds later
4. Israel Abanikanda is a 20 year old stud with a massive burst to make plays.
5. Karl Brooks gives us another inside guy who can get to the passer. Also an option to switch to the 3-4.
6. Zach Kuntz better prospect than Shoemaker. Got him 3 rounds later.
7. Hunter Luepke shoulda been drafted just to ensure no one coulda taken him. He will make the team and play a lot.
You're heard of the players or they have great measurables.

What did you post about Tyler Smith last year?

Did you like the Travis Frederick pick?

ghst187

Reaction score
You like familiarity, and spent time hoping for those players. We didn't get some of the more known players we wanted so now the ones we got suck because we read some websites and watched highlights and.we just could never be wrong.

Ever.

An intelligent person can tell by their picks that a lot of work went into this draft.

I think it fits us well.

IKa has like a 2 RAS..like he's a blob..our guy is 9.99.

We already have.players like him.

Most of us half-assed do this for fun for a few months a year to fend off football withdraws..

They do it year round, and have earned the benefit of the doubt.

Or have they?
Nope! And I find it hilarious that people get offended when people hate a pick because it’s such a crapshoot and the “professionals” are barely correct any more than the folks who casually read and watch some film. Look at Kiper…! This is all he does and his picks are often way off!
Ever disagree with something a “professional government official” does? Ever been right and them wrong? I bet you have, regularly actually.

Heck we still have people here lamenting that they wanted to draft Ramsey and Derrick Henry in 2016…which probably would’ve been better than what we did. Let’s take a quick look at some recent mistakes…they are plentiful:
Tristen Hill, Kelvin Joseph, Jalen Tolbert, Neville Gallimore, Reggie Robinson, Michael and Joe Jackson, Mike Weber, Taco (esp over Watt)….The entire 2009 draft.
So not only is it fair for fans to disagree with the “professional scouts” but it’s also what boards like this are for…discussion and disagreement.
I am completely fine with you disagreeing with me…cool, welcome the discussion. At the end of the day we both hope I’m wrong about some of the picks I bashed. But I think it’s more than fair to criticize.

ghst187

Reaction score
You're heard of the players or they have great measurables.

What did you post about Tyler Smith last year?

Did you like the Travis Frederick pick?
It’s his opinion and more than fair. Maybe he didn’t like the Tfred pick or Smith pick, but maybe he also didn’t like the Taco over Watt pick or the Trysten Hill pick. Completely fair esp before we know if any of this draft can actually play.

J-man

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of this draft but I don't hate it either. Love Overshown, think Fehoko has some dog in him. We needed better CB, WR, RB than we got but that happens. My biggest issue was taking Schoonmaker at 58 instead of Torrence for LG.

cnuball21

Reaction score
2. Hyatt gives us a deep threat we haven't had in forever to open up things underneath. Way better than a meaningless TE.
5. Karl Brooks gives us another inside guy who can get to the passer. Also an option to switch to the 3-4.
7. Hunter Luepke shoulda been drafted just to ensure no one coulda taken him. He will make the team and play a lot.
Better than what we did.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
It’s his opinion and more than fair. Maybe he didn’t like the Tfred pick or Smith pick, but maybe he also didn’t like the Taco over Watt pick or the Trysten Hill pick. Completely fair esp before we know if any of this draft can actually play.
These are fair comments based on the criticism of those that are not necessarily onboard with the draft class.

If you like all the picks great. It’s my first pre and post draft season on this forum but there’s a noticeable “This isn’t your job, what do you know?” vib. happening. Makes you wonder why have any discussion if the purpose for posting is solely to pat the organization on the back for selecting eight players. Lest we forget, were talkin' about the same organization that has done "what" for you this century?

BTW, I’m not a hater of the draft class. On another thread I stated I thought it should be graded out as a “C” with a realistic max. potential (time will tell) of a “B”. But I also believe in prioritizing need they missed-out on better opportunities that were there for the taking. Don’t think that’s an unreasonable conclusion to reach for this year’s draft class.

JPostSam

Reaction score
i had no issue with the mazi smith pick in round 1, or the overshown pick in round 3. but i really would have preferred o'cyrus torrence in round 2 (he went with the pick right after ours), and abanikanda in round 4 (he went in early round 5). after that, it's pretty much a crap shoot anyway, so whoever they wanted, whatever.

so, that's

1 -- dt mazi smith
2 -- og o'cyrus torrence
3 -- lb demarvion overshown (although dorian williams, who went right ater our pick, would have been cool, too)
4 -- rb israel abanikanda
5 -- wr at perry was available here...
6 -- whoever
7 -- whoever

maybe you can say that's splitting hairs... but i think a stud offensive guard makes a much bigger impact with 60-70 snaps per game than a rotational tight end. i also think a running back who is 30 pounds heavier than deuce vaughn, and even faster, would make a bigger impact.

well, we'll see.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Quibbling on picks, in hindsight, before anyone has even been assigned a jersey is kind of a pointless thought experiment.

But the one thing I would say is that Ika is very, very far off from Mazi. That's a massive downgrade.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
1. Avila doesn't start now over Smith, Smith, Biadasz, Martin or Steele......Now you may be right or wrong about injury, but he doesn't start as of today's lineup.
2. Hyatt may or may not see the field. If MM is serious about the running game you will probably see lots of 21 set with a RB, FB, and TE. That leaves 2 WR, and CD and Banks already have plenty of help.
3. Ika is a 2 down player with no upside to 3 down. Mazi is just quicker and with more upside.
4. Abanikanda............hard to argue. I like the player.
5. No clue on your 5th rounder as I haven't done the research on him.
6. Kuntz does not have the ceiling nor the floor of Schoonmaker. He also doesn't block anywhere near a good.
7. I agree Hunter should have been drafted in the 7th. He will only make the team and play a lot, IF, he can prove he can be that blocker they need, AND, he can still do the other things he has done at NDSU.

So of your top three draft picks, you have a 2 down player and 2 that don't start..............Not what Dallas usually looks for. Not to say they wouldn't/couldn't be great, but not the "knock it out of the park" draft that it looks to be at first.

OK, what did Dallas do.
1) Mazi Smith........let's actually spend some draft capital on a legit 1T that can demand double teams. Stats may not be great, but if everyone else's stats are great......He is doing his job.
2) Schoonmaker.....best blocking TE who has 4.6 speed. So speed and ability to block. MM must want to run the football.
3) OverShown...Not sure if he is a MLB or a Kearse replacement.......maybe both.
4) Fehoko....maybe an eventual Tank replacement, but for the moment, him and Gholston can go inside or out, so that they can add some match up problems.
5) Richards.....here is another piece to the future Oline....you already have the starting 5, plus Edoga, Farinok, Ball, and a couple others.........
6) CB -- if he really runs a 4.42 then he might be a steal this late
6b) Deuce -- running back who is electric.....will be a weapon, if only for 10 plays a game.
7) WR -- big body, and they never seem to have enough

UDFA - FB Luekpe......plays some RB, FB, TE, HB....he is a player. 6'1" 230lb and we will learn whether he can pick up a blitz or not.

Dallas filled holes this year. More need than BPA, but along with FA, they have come a long way to not having obvious holes. Maybe next year they can draft fully BPA, but till they get the holes filled, they still weren't floating. I think Dallas has gone a long way towards filling the holes and making the ship float.

T-RO

Reaction score
Your best post of the year. At least these players make sense, and are somewhat realistic relative to draft position.

visionary

Reaction score
You like familiarity, and spent time hoping for those players. We didn't get some of the more known players we wanted so now the ones we got suck because we read some websites and watched highlights and.we just could never be wrong.

Ever.

An intelligent person can tell by their picks that a lot of work went into this draft.

I think it fits us well.

Most of us half-assed do this for fun for a few months a year to fend off football withdraws..

Or have they?
Exactly
We think others are better because we have heard of them

morasp

Reaction score

Ever.

I think it fits us well.

Or have they?
I don't think I could have said it any better. Just to add to what you said we don't have the benefit of interviews with these guys and their coaches or their medical reports.

I was hoping Hyatt would a guy they were thinking about and even found a video of Prince working him out but in terms of making the offense better they obviously felt that for what they wanted to do on offense getting a complete TE that could block and catch passes was more important.

Havic

Reaction score
Props for putting together your own board, but I'll trust McClay (assuming we followed his board which did not occur at least in the 2nd round imo)

JPostSam

Reaction score
The Cowboys don't think he is a stud. A lot of teams didn't. He almost slid into the 3rd round.
1) do you know that the cowboys don't think he is a stud? if you say that because they passed on him, that's not the only possible conclusion to draw there.

2) that torrence went one pick after schoonmaker in the second round doesn't mean that a lot of teams didn't think he was a stud. if being picked 58th makes schoonmaker a stud, then being picked 59th makes torrence an almost identical stud. i mean, clearly, the cowboys think that overshown is a stud, right? and they took him in the third round. or, do yiou think the lions think hendon hooker is not a stud, because they only took him in the third round? or that the giants don't think jalin hyatt is a stud, because they took him in the third round? come on.

3) a lot of teams are wrong about a lot of players every year. case in poiint: we took bobby carpenter and taco charlton in the first round. didn't make them studs. a lot of our better players, we took in later rounds.

4) none of us knows anything at this point. so, we will see.

5) i don't hate the schoonmaker pick. as a fan, i hope he's great. but the burden of proof is on the cowboys to show that the left guard position did not need to be addressed earlier in the draft than round 5, and that the players available before then wouldn't have been a better choice than the choices they made.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
This excerpt from nfl.com is Torrence in a nutshell. Well the Cowboys are specifically wanting athletic OL; the coach literally said that talking on draft day on their website draft show. From his and Shottenheimer's history they are going to run a lot of outside and inside zone. This isn't the droid we are looking for. I think it's best to move LTs to OG anyway, those are your best college athletes.

Tyron - Very Athletic
Tyler S - Very Athletic
Zack - Very Athletic
Tyler B - Pretty Athletic
Steele - Pretty Athletic

He uses his hands well to jab and maintain feel for the rush, but quick interior rushers with well-developed counters could be too much for his limited foot quickness to handle without help. He projects as a future starter for downhill offenses who covet size over athleticism.

Last edited: