My Draft redo

WhizKid

Reaction score
I will say, I was eons further than the league on who was a draft-able player versus who was not. My live draft I did along side the team, I drafted 2 players in rounds 5/7 who went undrafted (Jaxson Kirkland and Jerrod Clark). I am no pro at this, but 32 teams passed up these players in the end and I took them live. Time will tell how this will fair, but I think it's probably safe to err on the side of 'massive reaches' on my part. My live draft:

R1) [DE] Myles Murphy
R2) [3T] Adetomiwa Adebawore
R3) [TE] Darnell Washington
R4) [RB] Israel Abanikanda
R5) [T/G] Jaxson Kirkland
R6) [CB] Cory Trice Jr.
R7) [1T] Jerrod Clark

I'm not mad with my draft, but given the injury red flags for Washington, I likely go with Overshown,and would definitely strongly consider Michael Wilson there.

As far as redraft goes, outside of switching out Washington, I think I keep my draft. I took what I considered BPA on my board.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I will say, I was eons further than the league on who was a draft-able player versus who was not. My live draft I did along side the team, I drafted 2 players in rounds 5/7 who went undrafted (Jaxson Kirkland and Jerrod Clark). I am no pro at this, but 32 teams passed up these players in the end and I took them live. Time will tell how this will fair, but I think it's probably safe to err on the side of 'massive reaches' on my part. My live draft:

R1) [DE] Myles Murphy
R2) [3T] Adetomiwa Adebawore
R3) [TE] Darnell Washington
R4) [RB] Israel Abanikanda
R5) [T/G] Jaxson Kirkland
R6) [CB] Cory Trice Jr.
R7) [1T] Jerrod Clark

I'm not mad with my draft, but given the injury red flags for Washington, I likely go with Overshown,and would definitely strongly consider Michael Wilson there.

As far as redraft goes, outside of switching out Washington, I think I keep my draft. I took what I considered BPA on my board.
Much better than ours.

Beaker42

Reaction score
1. Avila starts at LG now moves to C next year when Tylers contract is up
2. Hyatt gives us a deep threat we haven't had in forever to open up things underneath. Way better than a meaningless TE.
3. Ika isn't far off from Mazi and he is 2 rounds later
4. Israel Abanikanda is a 20 year old stud with a massive burst to make plays.
5. Karl Brooks gives us another inside guy who can get to the passer. Also an option to switch to the 3-4.
6. Zach Kuntz better prospect than Shoemaker. Got him 3 rounds later.
7. Hunter Luepke shoulda been drafted just to ensure no one coulda taken him. He will make the team and play a lot.
#6 is laughable. Hyatt is a worse Devonta Smith. Total iffy draft with benefit of hibdsight. A for effort, D+ for results.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
#6 is laughable. Hyatt is a worse Devonta Smith. Total iffy draft with benefit of hibdsight. A for effort, D+ for results.
Kuntz might have the highest upside of any TE in the class. I wouldn't say he's a better prospect, but he's a better pick in the 5th than any of the TEs on day 1 or 2.

Hyatt is nothing like Devonta Smith.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Kuntz might have the highest upside of any TE in the class. I wouldn't say he's a better prospect, but he's a better pick in the 5th than any of the TEs on day 1 or 2.

Hyatt is nothing like Devonta Smith.
Kuntz was drafted on his combine workout and size. What he did in college wouldn't get him drafted at all. He's raw as a receiver and his blocking was nonexistent. The Day 1 & 2 TEs play well enough to contribute this year and Schoonmaker is well rounded in all types of blocking and is a good route runner and receiver that has the speed to be a threat in the seam.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Kuntz was drafted on his combine workout and size. What he did in college wouldn't get him drafted at all. He's raw as a receiver and his blocking was nonexistent. The Day 1 & 2 TEs play well enough to contribute this year and Schoonmaker is well rounded in all types of blocking and is a good route runner and receiver that has the speed to be a threat in the seam.
He had 73 catches in 2021, that's plenty to be draftable.

But yea, his upside is determined by his overall athleticism, which is pretty much unmatched.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He had 73 catches in 2021, that's plenty to be draftable.

But yea, his upside is determined by his overall athleticism, which is pretty much unmatched.
At Old Dominion after it didn't work out at Penn St. Any of these D1 guys could go down to a small school and dominate. Kuntz is raw and needs a ton of work.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
At Old Dominion after it didn't work out at Penn St. Any of these D1 guys could go down to a small school and dominate. Kuntz is raw and needs a ton of work.
Of course he's raw, but that's not what the question was.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the first round pick, Mazi, and then the draft went off the rails. We should have packaged a 4th rounder and moved up in round 2 to get Avilla. Settling for Schoon in round 2 was disappointing. I thought there were 3 better TEs on the board when we took him. His age is a big detractor as he'll be pushing 30 by the end of his rookie deal, if he sticks that long. So, we spent a second round pick on a guy that has little chance to see a second contract and not much developmental upside at age 25. . Overshown is a linebacker at a mere 229 lbs. So, I didn't like the pick. I see him as a special teamer. I would have picked, Keelee Ringo or Battle the safety from Alabama. Either of those guys would give us some quality depth in the secondary, play special teams, and move into a starting role by next year without much drop-off. Round 5, I'm taking the Clemson TE Davis Allen. Round 6, I'm taking RB Zach Evans who would have provided us a perfect solution for short yardage situations and been a heck of a special teamer. Round 7.........who cares?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the first round pick, Mazi, and then the draft went off the rails. We should have packaged a 4th rounder and moved up in round 2 to get Avilla. Settling for Schoon in round 2 was disappointing. I thought there were 3 better TEs on the board when we took him. His age is a big detractor as he'll be pushing 30 by the end of his rookie deal, if he sticks that long. So, we spent a second round pick on a guy that has little chance to see a second contract and not much developmental upside at age 25. . Overshown is a linebacker at a mere 229 lbs. So, I didn't like the pick. I see him as a special teamer. I would have picked, Keelee Ringo or Battle the safety from Alabama. Either of those guys would give us some quality depth in the secondary, play special teams, and move into a starting role by next year without much drop-off. Round 5, I'm taking the Clemson TE Davis Allen. Round 6, I'm taking RB Zach Evans who would have provided us a perfect solution for short yardage situations and been a heck of a special teamer. Round 7.........who cares?
Pretty clear you and the Cowboys don't think anywhere close to the same. The reason they passed on Avila has been well covered. Cowboys wanted the best blocking TE that can run and catch. Got him. Overshown might be a S, who knows what DQ has in mind. He is a play maker though. Likely gets some special teams play also. Got a future OL starter in Richards, at least a rotational player in Fehoko and they LOVE Scott.

Of course, there is Vaughn. Overall, great draft.

rambo2

Reaction score
Pretty clear you and the Cowboys don't think anywhere close to the same. The reason they passed on Avila has been well covered. Cowboys wanted the best blocking TE that can run and catch. Got him. Overshown might be a S, who knows what DQ has in mind. He is a play maker though. Likely gets some special teams play also. Got a future OL starter in Richards, at least a rotational player in Fehoko and they LOVE Scott.

If they hit on this draft, it very well could push them over the hump. This offseason they filled a lot of holes. They didn't draft a guard or running back in higher rounds because it just didn't work out with the picks, but they seem like they got good players overall with a lot of potential.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm perfectly comfortable not "thinking" like this train wreck of a FO that has churned out 27 years of futility and counting.

Obviously, Dallas likes all these players and is excited about them, just as every team in the NFL is excited about their draft picks, or they wouldn't have selected them.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
That's fine but he wont be that at years end and I can't wait to tell everyone I told ya so.
And if he doesn't, I am sure you'll tell everyone that you may have been wrong, right?

Acceptablename

Reaction score
1. Avila starts at LG now moves to C next year when Tylers contract is up
2. Hyatt gives us a deep threat we haven't had in forever to open up things underneath. Way better than a meaningless TE.
3. Ika isn't far off from Mazi and he is 2 rounds later
4. Israel Abanikanda is a 20 year old stud with a massive burst to make plays.
5. Karl Brooks gives us another inside guy who can get to the passer. Also an option to switch to the 3-4.
6. Zach Kuntz better prospect than Shoemaker. Got him 3 rounds later.
7. Hunter Luepke shoulda been drafted just to ensure no one ctaken him. He will make the team
Bad *** is proving to be a good pic didn’t even make the pro bowl last year? I’m not selling MAZO short now the second round coat in we can talk about. In the third round LB everybody seems fine. Nothing against your selections I like ours better

Havic

Reaction score
Props for making a list but I'm going with McClay here.