1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

My Favorite Drafts

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Manster68, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Manster68

Manster68 Well-Known Member

2,317 Messages
    1,280 Likes Received
    Folks, this is my 50th year of being a Cowboys fan. Now I have not actually watched an NFL Draft until 1988. I was in the Navy and living onboard ship in the mid 80s. In the late 80s, I was stationed at a Naval Air Station and had my own room. I could not always watch the draft.

In the 60s & 70s, Landry hit on a number of 1st round picks:
    1961 - Lilly
    1963 - Jordan
    1965 - Morton (later traded for 1st rd pick Randy White)
    1966 - Niland
    1967 - pick traded for Neely
    1969 - Hill
    1970 - Duane Thomas
    1973 - DuPree
    1974 - Too Tall Jones
    1975 - Randy White & Hollywood Henderson
    1977 - Dorsett
    1979 - Shaw (career cut off from injury)

Since I was a Cowboys fan, the two drafts that created a buzz were the Dirty Dozen in 1975 and trading up for Tony Dorsett in 1977. I clearly remember the anticipated excitement of seeing Dorsett in the summer of 1977. I was starting 8th Grade.

The drafts from 1988 thru 1993 were wonderful. One way or another, the Cowboys knocked these out of the park for the most part.

1988 - Irvin, Norton Jr., & future USAF pilot Chad Hennings made Landry's final draft outstanding.
    1989 - Aikman, Moose, Stepnoski, & Tolbert made this one of the greatest drafts in history.
    1990 - Emmitt Smith, Alexander Wright, Jimmie Jones & Kenny Gant. Jimmy traded most of these picks.
    1991 - Maryland, Harper, Dixon Edwards, Godfrey Myles, Erik Williams, Leon Lett, and Larry Brown. The third greatest Cowboys draft of all time behind the Dirty Dozen in 1975 & 1964 (Renfro, Hayes, & Staubach all in the Hall of Fame)
    1992 - Kevin Smith, Robert Jones, Woodson, & Clayton Holmes. Too bad Dallas gave up on Jimmy Smith too soon.
    1993 - Kevin Williams, Darrin Smith, Brock Marion, & picks traded for Charles Haley & Thomas Everett.

I didn't get excited over another draft until 2002. This is the only time the first two players selected were the ones I wanted all along. Roy Williams and Andre Gurode. Both of them played in 5 Pro Bowls. Too bad Antonio Bryant and Derek Ross were head cases. This draft could have been a stellar one.

2005 - The best draft this century. Ware (HOF), Spears, Kevin Burnett, Chris Canty, Marion Barber, & Jay Ratliff. Too bad Justin Beriault couldn't make it on the field.

There were some good drafts here I liked
    2008 - Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins, Martellus Bennett, & Orlando Scandrick.
    2010 - Dez Bryant & Sean Lee
    2011 - Tyron Smith, Bruce Carter, DeMarco Murray, & Dwayne Harris
    2014 - Zach Martin, D-Law, & Hitchins

Then there was 2016 - Elliott, Jaylon Smith, Collins, Prescott, Brown, & Frazier. Currently, the second best draft this century.

2018 - LVE, Williams, Gallup, & Armstrong.

However, NONE of these drafts excite me like the Cowboys 2020 draft. Time remains to be seen, but this draft could propel the Cowboys back in the Super Bowl. I love every single pick.

cowboyec, Irvin88_4life and fivetwos like this.
  2. Longboysfan

Longboysfan hipfake08 Zone Supporter

12,796 Messages
    5,482 Likes Received
    I liked 1992 the best and then 1989.

It was personal.
    1992 I had my 10 year old with me in Marriott Marquis upper area of the ball room watching.
    1989 I knew were on the way. Again in Marriott Marquis ball room.

Manster68 likes this.
  3. cowboyec

cowboyec Well-Known Member

17,599 Messages
    20,160 Likes Received
    '88
    '89
    '91
    were among my favs.

4. Creeper

Creeper Well-Known Member

2,130 Messages
    2,907 Likes Received
    '75 was an awesome draft. But 20 years later in 1995... phew, what a stinker.