My Final 53

jday

Reaction score
Quarterback

Tony Romo

Dak Prescott

I’m going to try to slide Jameil Showers to the practice squad. Given what happened last year with Romo’s injury, I can certainly understand those who might want to go deep here, but due to the talent at other depth positions, I’m gambling that better QB’s will be released and claimed on the waiver wire covering Showers sneak to the practice squad.

Running Back

Ezekiel Elliott

Alfred Morris

Darius Jackson

Lance Dunbar

Darren McFadden (PUP/Potential Trade Bait)

I’m going deep at RB but only because Darren’s injury affords me the ability to carry him without counting against my 53. I’m hoping that injuries will happen between now and the time to make a decision which may provide a trade opportunity. If nothing materializes, Darren will be cut. As for justifying keeping 4 RB’s, one I’m not going to carry a FB and two Lance Dunbar can contribute to Special Teams, as well, both as a returner (if needed, not that he is my top choice for the job) and coverage teams. The bottom line, though, is the Cowboys want to run the ball this year like 2014 and can use all the depth their roster can handle at that particular position.

Full Back

None

I don’t like it. I really like having a Full Back as a lead blocker, but neither of the Smith’s or other options have stood out to an extent that would justify saying good-bye to other talented depth, such as Lance Dunbar.

Wide Receiver

Dez Bryant

Terrance Williams

Cole Beasley

Brice Butler

Lucky Whitehead

Both Andy Jones and Vince Mayle have an outside chance to push the receiver count to 6; but they definitely won’t keep 7. Andy Jones has proven in practice that he has at the very least reliable hands and runs decent routes. Vince Mayle has not proven himself quite as much as Andy Jones, but he has been a solid contributor on Special Teams. What may come as a surprise to many fans is that Mayle standing out on Special Teams may ultimately give him the nod, if the Cowboys keep 6. Stay tuned.

Tight End

Jason Witten

Gavon Escobar

James Hanna

Geoff Swaim

Of all the trade bait that has been discussed, it is my opinion Escobar is the most expendable and I’d like to see what the Cowboys can get in return for a guy who is too talented to be on a team this talented. He will never get the attention on gameday he deserves and is not a good enough blocker to be featured regularly. I suspect both Hanna and Swaim could double as FB’s, if needed.

Offensive Line

Tyron Smith

La’el Collins

Travis Frederick

Zack Martin

Doug Free

Ronald Leary

Joe Looney

Chaz Green

Thus far, this has been the toughest position group to project as far as who I think the Cowboys should keep. Eight is admittedly light, but no one beyond the above 8 has really stood out as players that could come in at a moment’s notice and not miss a beat. If the Cowboys go deeper than 8, I don’t think the 9th guy is presently on the roster, but admittedly, evaluating offensive line play is not my forte. I am largely basing my opinion on what I have read and seen with my untrained eyes.

Defensive End

Demarcus Lawrence (4 game suspension)

Randall Gregory (10 game suspension)

Ryan Russell

David Irving

Benson Mayowa

Charles Tapper

Were it not for even one suspension, I might stand pat here, but as it is the Cowboys will likely pull someone in following final cuts. Lawrence Okoye and Mike McAdoo may still make the team if the Cowboys don’t find improvement on the streets…but there days are numbered, as the Cowboys wait for Lawrence and Gregory to return from their perspective suspensions.

Defensive Tackle

Tyrone Crawford

Terrell McClain

Jack Crawford

Cedric Thorton

Maliek Collins

This very well may be the strongest group as a unit on defense. Both Jack Crawford and Tyrone Crawford can slide out to defensive end in a pinch, but they are clearly better suited to staying put. I mention that because that could be reason enough for the Cowboys to go light at Defensive End in spite of the suspensions.

Linebacker

Sean Lee

Kyle Wilber

Anthony Hitchens

Mark Nzeocha

Justin Durant

Andrew Gachkar

Damien Wilson

Jaylon Smith (PUP/IR)

The first thing to keep in mind about the linebacker position is that the defense will only be fielding 2, as they stay in the nickel the majority of the time. The other point is that Kyle Wilber can also fill in at DE in a pinch, which is another way the Cowboys may attempt to weather the suspensions and yet not keep undeserving players who win a spot by default of knowing the playbook. The Cowboys really, really, really need Sean Lee to stay healthy…now more than ever.

Corner

Orlando Scandrick

Morris Claiborne

Brandon Carr

Defi Olatoye

Anthony Brown

Josh Thomas

This position feels pretty set at this point. That’s not to say they won’t be scanning the waiver wire intently for improvement, but they won’t be looking as hard at corners as say defensive end and linebacker. Clearly not the strongest position group on the team, but the Cowboys could do a whole lot worse…just ask 2015.

Safety

Byron Jones

Barry Church

Jeff Heath

Kavon Frazier

JJ Wilcox

I didn’t count how many players I had kept until I started looking at safety. After factoring in the next group of the Special Teams 3, I had 52…that is the only reason Wilcox made this list and I suspect he could be a late cut if the Cowboys do opt to add talent afforded to them by the waiver wire.

Special Teams

Dan Bailey

Chris Jones

L.P. LaDouceur

This is the strongest position group on the team, without question. The Cowboys have a huge advantage for having these guys’ locked down for the foreseeable future.

Keep in mind that since they are fourth in line for the waiver wire, they make actually make more moves than they have in recent memory and therefore none of the bottom of the roster guys are safe…even after final cuts, as we have seen them make several moves following cut day as the Cowboys round out their roster. Furthermore, as players return from injury/suspension the Cowboys will be faced with what is likely to be a harder decision than what was the final cuts.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
JJ Wilcox

I didn’t count how many players I had kept until I started looking at safety. After factoring in the next group of the Special Teams 3, I had 52…that is the only reason Wilcox made this list and I suspect he could be a late cut if the Cowboys do opt to add talent afforded to them by the waiver wire.

This is the only player I would not want on roster.
Your disclaimer line cover it.

UTmodisette

Reaction score
I agree with most of it, although guys like Thomas and Wilcox could be cut for another DE or a fullback. If Dallas sees anything in Frazier, I don't see Wilcox returning. Olatoye can be the 5th safety, but taking 11 DBs just doesn't seem likely. Maybe 10, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went with 9.

jday

Reaction score
JJ Wilcox

This is the only player I would not want on roster.
Your disclaimer line cover it.

I had a hard time putting him on there, but based on how the Cowboys have made decisions in the past, I suspect with him they will go with the devil they know versus the devil they don't.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quarterback

Tony Romo

Dak Prescott

I’m going to try to slide Jameil Showers to the practice squad. Given what happened last year with Romo’s injury, I can certainly understand those who might want to go deep here, but due to the talent at other depth positions, I’m gambling that better QB’s will be released and claimed on the waiver wire covering Showers sneak to the practice squad.

Running Back

Ezekiel Elliott

Alfred Morris

Darius Jackson

Lance Dunbar

I’m going deep at RB but only because Darren’s injury affords me the ability to carry him without counting against my 53. I’m hoping that injuries will happen between now and the time to make a decision which may provide a trade opportunity. If nothing materializes, Darren will be cut. As for justifying keeping 4 RB’s, one I’m not going to carry a FB and two Lance Dunbar can contribute to Special Teams, as well, both as a returner (if needed, not that he is my top choice for the job) and coverage teams. The bottom line, though, is the Cowboys want to run the ball this year like 2014 and can use all the depth their roster can handle at that particular position.

Full Back

None

I don’t like it. I really like having a Full Back as a lead blocker, but neither of the Smith’s or other options have stood out to an extent that would justify saying good-bye to other talented depth, such as Lance Dunbar.

Wide Receiver

Dez Bryant

Terrance Williams

Cole Beasley

Brice Butler

Lucky Whitehead

Both Andy Jones and Vince Mayle have an outside chance to push the receiver count to 6; but they definitely won’t keep 7. Andy Jones has proven in practice that he has at the very least reliable hands and runs decent routes. Vince Mayle has not proven himself quite as much as Andy Jones, but he has been a solid contributor on Special Teams. What may come as a surprise to many fans is that Mayle standing out on Special Teams may ultimately give him the nod, if the Cowboys keep 6. Stay tuned.

Tight End

Jason Witten

Gavon Escobar

James Hanna

Geoff Swaim

Of all the trade bait that has been discussed, it is my opinion Escobar is the most expendable and I’d like to see what the Cowboys can get in return for a guy who is too talented to be on a team this talented. He will never get the attention on gameday he deserves and is not a good enough blocker to be featured regularly. I suspect both Hanna and Swaim could double as FB’s, if needed.

Offensive Line

Tyron Smith

La’el Collins

Travis Frederick

Zack Martin

Doug Free

Ronald Leary

Joe Looney

Chaz Green

Thus far, this has been the toughest position group to project as far as who I think the Cowboys should keep. Eight is admittedly light, but no one beyond the above 8 has really stood out as players that could come in at a moment’s notice and not miss a beat. If the Cowboys go deeper than 8, I don’t think the 9th guy is presently on the roster, but admittedly, evaluating offensive line play is not my forte. I am largely basing my opinion on what I have read and seen with my untrained eyes.

Defensive End

Ryan Russell

David Irving

Benson Mayowa

Charles Tapper

Were it not for even one suspension, I might stand pat here, but as it is the Cowboys will likely pull someone in following final cuts. Lawrence Okoye and Mike McAdoo may still make the team if the Cowboys don’t find improvement on the streets…but there days are numbered, as the Cowboys wait for Lawrence and Gregory to return from their perspective suspensions.

Defensive Tackle

Tyrone Crawford

Terrell McClain

Jack Crawford

Cedric Thorton

Maliek Collins

This very well may be the strongest group as a unit on defense. Both Jack Crawford and Tyrone Crawford can slide out to defensive end in a pinch, but they are clearly better suited to staying put. I mention that because that could be reason enough for the Cowboys to go light at Defensive End in spite of the suspensions.

Linebacker

Sean Lee

Kyle Wilber

Anthony Hitchens

Mark Nzeocha

Justin Durant

Andrew Gachkar

Damien Wilson

Jaylon Smith (PUP/IR)

The first thing to keep in mind about the linebacker position is that the defense will only be fielding 2, as they stay in the nickel the majority of the time. The other point is that Kyle Wilber can also fill in at DE in a pinch, which is another way the Cowboys may attempt to weather the suspensions and yet not keep undeserving players who win a spot by default of knowing the playbook. The Cowboys really, really, really need Sean Lee to stay healthy…now more than ever.

Corner

Orlando Scandrick

Morris Claiborne

Brandon Carr

Defi Olatoye

Anthony Brown

Josh Thomas

This position feels pretty set at this point. That’s not to say they won’t be scanning the waiver wire intently for improvement, but they won’t be looking as hard at corners as say defensive end and linebacker. Clearly not the strongest position group on the team, but the Cowboys could do a whole lot worse…just ask 2015.

Safety

Byron Jones

Barry Church

Jeff Heath

Kavon Frazier

JJ Wilcox

Special Teams

Dan Bailey

Chris Jones

L.P. LaDouceur

This is the strongest position group on the team, without question. The Cowboys have a huge advantage for having these guys’ locked down for the foreseeable future.

Keep in mind that since they are fourth in line for the waiver wire, they make actually make more moves than they have in recent memory and therefore none of the bottom of the roster guys are safe…even after final cuts, as we have seen them make several moves following cut day as the Cowboys round out their roster. Furthermore, as players return from injury/suspension the Cowboys will be faced with what is likely to be a harder decision than what was the final cuts.

A great list, and very well articulated. Right up until JJ Wilcox. That one doesn't add up for me and I think they'd keep one of those other spots like wide receiver before they continued wasting time on that failed experiment.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Quarterback

Tony Romo

Dak Prescott

Probably a reasonable risk to get Showers to the PS.

Running Back

Ezekiel Elliott

Alfred Morris

Darius Jackson

Lance Dunbar

Agree.

Full Back

None

I don't really like keeping a FB because they don't play much, but the Cowboys continue to run plays with a FB in the preseason games. One option would be to go without one initially and then re-sign Smith or Smith if some other player goes on IR after a few games. Garrett seems to really like Keith Smith.

Wide Receiver

Dez Bryant

Terrance Williams

Cole Beasley

Brice Butler

Lucky Whitehead

Agree. I don't see another team signing Jones or Mayle.

Tight End

Jason Witten

Gavon Escobar

James Hanna

Geoff Swaim

Hanna is expected to stay on the PUP. That would allow them to keep Rico Gathers if they thought he would not make it to the PS.

Offensive Line

Tyron Smith

La’el Collins

Travis Frederick

Zack Martin

Doug Free

Ronald Leary

Joe Looney

Chaz Green

I think it is the easiest to project. I don't see any of the players after the top 8 getting signed by another team. They should be able to keep whoever they want on the PS.

Defensive End

Ryan Russell

David Irving

Benson Mayowa

Charles Tapper

Defensive Tackle

Tyrone Crawford

Terrell McClain

Jack Crawford

Cedric Thorton

Maliek Collins

Where is Jenkins, the star of the preseason? His knee injury complicates this question. Jack Crawford is probably a DE to start the season. Possibly the starting LDE.

Linebacker

Sean Lee

Kyle Wilber

Anthony Hitchens

Mark Nzeocha

Justin Durant

Andrew Gachkar

Damien Wilson

Jaylon Smith (PUP/IR)

This seems likely. The only question would be Gachkar. His salary is 1.3M and he might be behind WIlson and Nzeocha on the depth chart.

Corner

Orlando Scandrick

Morris Claiborne

Brandon Carr

Defi Olatoye

Anthony Brown

Josh Thomas

I don't see the need for Thomas. This would be his 6th year in the league and he has been just OK against 2nd and 3rd team offenses this preseason. If 6 CB, I prefer McKinnon.

Safety

Byron Jones

Barry Church

Jeff Heath

Kavon Frazier

JJ Wilcox

I'll be surprised if both Wilcox and Frazier are on the 53. Wilcox has really regressed. I guess Heath's concussion could prompt them to keep all 5.

Special Teams

Dan Bailey

Chris Jones

L.P. LaDouceur

There are almost always some players that go in IR early in the season making it fairly easy to find a spot for returning players like Lawrence.

My top practice squad guys would be Rodney Coe and Austin Traylor. Maybe Dax Swanson because of his punt return abilities.

jday

Reaction score
A great list, and very well articulated. Right up until JJ Wilcox. That one doesn't add up for me and I think they'd keep one of those other spots like wide receiver before they continued wasting time on that failed experiment.
Could be...but the offense is stacked with talent...the defense is not. Given that they may throw numbers at defense, to at the least keep what they have fresh throughout games.

jday

Reaction score
Quarterback

Tony Romo

Dak Prescott

Probably a reasonable risk to get Showers to the PS.

Running Back

Ezekiel Elliott

Alfred Morris

Darius Jackson

Lance Dunbar

Agree.

Full Back

None

I don't really like keeping a FB because they don't play much, but the Cowboys continue to run plays with a FB in the preseason games. One option would be to go without one initially and then re-sign Smith or Smith if some other player goes on IR after a few games. Garrett seems to really like Keith Smith.

Wide Receiver

Dez Bryant

Terrance Williams

Cole Beasley

Brice Butler

Lucky Whitehead

Agree. I don't see another team signing Jones or Mayle.

Tight End

Jason Witten

Gavon Escobar

James Hanna

Geoff Swaim

Hanna is expected to stay on the PUP. That would allow them to keep Rico Gathers if they thought he would not make it to the PS.

Offensive Line

Tyron Smith

La’el Collins

Travis Frederick

Zack Martin

Doug Free

Ronald Leary

Joe Looney

Chaz Green

I think it is the easiest to project. I don't see any of the players after the top 8 getting signed by another team. They should be able to keep whoever they want on the PS.

Defensive End

Ryan Russell

David Irving

Benson Mayowa

Charles Tapper

Defensive Tackle

Tyrone Crawford

Terrell McClain

Jack Crawford

Cedric Thorton

Maliek Collins

Where is Jenkins, the star of the preseason? His knee injury complicates this question. Jack Crawford is probably a DE to start the season. Possibly the starting LDE.

Linebacker

Sean Lee

Kyle Wilber

Anthony Hitchens

Mark Nzeocha

Justin Durant

Andrew Gachkar

Damien Wilson

Jaylon Smith (PUP/IR)

This seems likely. The only question would be Gachkar. His salary is 1.3M and he might be behind WIlson and Nzeocha on the depth chart.

Corner

Orlando Scandrick

Morris Claiborne

Brandon Carr

Defi Olatoye

Anthony Brown

Josh Thomas

I don't see the need for Thomas. This would be his 6th year in the league and he has been just OK against 2nd and 3rd team offenses this preseason. If 6 CB, I prefer McKinnon.

Safety

Byron Jones

Barry Church

Jeff Heath

Kavon Frazier

JJ Wilcox

I'll be surprised if both Wilcox and Frazier are on the 53. Wilcox has really regressed. I guess Heath's concussion could prompt them to keep all 5.

Special Teams

Dan Bailey

Chris Jones

L.P. LaDouceur

There are almost always some players that go in IR early in the season making it fairly easy to find a spot for returning players like Lawrence.

My top practice squad guys would be Rodney Coe and Austin Traylor. Maybe Dax Swanson because of his punt return abilities.
I honestly forgot about Jenkins...Wilcox would have not made the team had I remembered him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could be...but the offense is stacked with talent...the defense is not. Given that they may throw numbers at defense, to at the least keep what they have fresh throughout games.

I don't consider Wilcox to be talent, but a target. For opposing offenses. The guy should have a bullseye on his uniform instead of a number.

Any time I see a big play in the passing game, Wilcox had something to do with it. I hope the Cowboys finally see that too.

jday

Reaction score
I don't consider Wilcox to be talent, but a target. For opposing offenses. The guy should have a bullseye on his uniform instead of a number.

Any time I see a big play in the passing game, Wilcox had something to do with it. I hope the Cowboys finally see that too.
I forgot Jenkins on the DL so I will grant your wish...Wilcox is cut.

Your welcome!