5) #149...Chris Henry, RB, Arizona, 5' 11", 230

6) #180...Paul Soliai, DT, Utah, 6' 4", 344

6) #185...Courtney Brown, CB, Cal Poly, 6' 2" 200

7) #193...Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame, 6' 5", 215

7) #215...Nick Leeson, LS, Va Tech, 6' 2", 255

7) #218...Nick Folk, K, Arizona, 6' 2", 225

Give me your thoughts, good and bad.

pretty good.....

1. I keep reading in various mocks that Henry won't make it out of the 4th round. He is one of my favorite RBs in the draft though....I would be so stoked if we could get him where u have him in your mock....

2. I would rather not waste a pick on another freakin baseball player, i dont care what round.

3. Paul Soliai is probably gonna go in the 4th.....he is a perfect fit for that 3-4 NT...and with so many teams using the 3-4 now, he will be a hot commodity....we have a better chance of getting that fat load Doughty from NC State in the 6th, than Soliai IMO.

4. I would prefer Brian Robison over Dan Bazuin. Call me a homer, I don't care. I have watched Robison for a few years now since I am a UT fan. He is an awesome player and I want him in Dallas.

5. Josh Beekman in several mocks is a 2nd rounder...at worst 3rd rounder. I doubt he falls all the way to the 4th. However, I do like the idea of drafting him....he is a roadgrader and a mauler. another option would be Manny Ramirez.

6. I dont see Dallas drafting a QB in the 3rd...they may, but I dont see it. I dont know enough about Beck to critique the pick itself. I will say this....in my mocks I have us picking Rascati or Zambransky in the 6th

7. I absolutely love the idea of us drafting Courtney Brown....I would love for him to last till the 6th, but I see him going in the 5th....I think the fact that he is a relative unknown helps keep his draft value low....I am worried that he will have an awesome Pro Day and his value will go to 4th round status.

8. Why Meacham over Bowe...just curious.....I personally like Anthony Gonzalez....

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Biggems;1425436 said:
pretty good.....
Thank you for the well thought out responses. I would like to do the same.

1. I keep reading in various mocks that Henry won't make it out of the 4th round. He is one of my favorite RBs in the draft though....I would be so stoked if we could get him where u have him in your mock....
I live in Tucson, I will admit, it is a homer pick. I'd be just as happy with Nate Ilaoa from Hawaii. 5' 10" 245 of power house RB.

2. I would rather not waste a pick on another freakin baseball player, i dont care what round.
No guts, no glory. It's only a 7th round pick and since he's not a QB, the odds go up he'd produce.

3. Paul Soliai is probably gonna go in the 4th.....he is a perfect fit for that 3-4 NT...and with so many teams using the 3-4 now, he will be a hot commodity....we have a better chance of getting that fat load Doughty from NC State in the 6th, than Soliai IMO.
I realize this one might not happen. He was slotted low on one site, higher on two others. I went with the belief some guys just fall, see Rodrique Wright for example.

4. I would prefer Brian Robison over Dan Bazuin. Call me a homer, I don't care. I have watched Robison for a few years now since I am a UT fan. He is an awesome player and I want him in Dallas.
Bazuin is on our radar. I really think he will end up here.

5. Josh Beekman in several mocks is a 2nd rounder...at worst 3rd rounder. I doubt he falls all the way to the 4th. However, I do like the idea of drafting him....he is a roadgrader and a mauler. another option would be Manny Ramirez.
This site has him a 3rd or 4th and falling. I was going on that.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6421984

I did consider Manuel Ramirez and actually like him better than Beekman

6. I dont see Dallas drafting a QB in the 3rd...they may, but I dont see it. I dont know enough about Beck to critique the pick itself. I will say this....in my mocks I have us picking Rascati or Zambransky in the 6th
I've been talking QB in the 4th. Jerry Jones is talking the 3rd.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83845

I adjusted my thinking to fit that. I'd love Zabransky if Beck is gone.

7. I absolutely love the idea of us drafting Courtney Brown....I would love for him to last till the 6th, but I see him going in the 5th....I think the fact that he is a relative unknown helps keep his draft value low....I am worried that he will have an awesome Pro Day and his value will go to 4th round status.
Players rise and fall all the time. Just going by his current slot on most sites.

8. Why Meacham over Bowe...just curious.....I personally like Anthony Gonzalez....
The only WR I like better than Meacham is Calvin Johnson. Bowe is my 3rd.

Ginn, Rice & Jarrett swap positions in my preference all the time.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Hostile;1425419 said:
1) #22...Robert Meacham, WR, Tennessee, 6' 3", 210

2) #53...Dan Bazuin, DE/OLB, Central Michigan, 6' 3", 272

3) #87...John Beck, QB, BYU, 6' 2", 215

4) #118...Josh Beekman, OG, Boston College, 6' 2", 313

I think it would be great if the draft worked out this way.

Nice touch drafting Samardzija in the 7th. A tip of the hat to tradition. :)

Soliai is getting some buzz as one of the top three NT prospects; seems like he'd be a steal in the 6th round. I wonder if he'll still be there (and if it would be wise to gamble that he'd be there).

Jerry's statements about drafting a QB not withstanding, 3rd round feels at least one round too little high for me.

For the past month or so my guess has been that the Cowboys will go CB or WR in the 1st round. I'd be happy with a quality WR like Meacham.

The Cowboys need another speed guy. Courtney Brown is 6'2" and reportedly ran a 4.32. That size and speed is very tempting. Wouldn't surprise me to see him gone before the 6th round.

I'm mildly surprised to see the final two special teams picks. I'd guess that 1) the Cowboys are feeling o.k. with their current LS and K and 2) Jerry will have a couple of other longshots that he'll want to roll with.

tm1119

Reaction score
I am a huge beck fan. I started to throw is name around on this board back in the begining of the season before the whole Romo thing started. With that being said, 3rd is too high for any QB right now. He will immediately go to 3rd on the dpeth chart, and most teams dont even dress 3 QB's anymore. Plus we have a young QB whos confidence took a huge shot already, no need to mess with his head even more.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
Good mock, Hos. Can't argue with your first two picks, especially.

#22...Robert Meacham, WR, Tennessee, 6' 3", 210 - Deep draft at WR and our position of greatest need as long as T.O. is on our roster. Love his size/speed ratio and upside and the Mosely article sealed it for me. Don't think Willis will fall; Merriweather is off my board for character; I'd be fine with CB Houston as well.

2) #53...Dan Bazuin, DE/OLB, Central Michigan, 6' 3", 272 - Not many mocks have him as a second rounder but it appears we saw his potential as a 3-4 OLB and were all over him early.

3) #87...John Beck, QB, BYU, 6' 2", 215 - I prefer Jordan Palmer's pedigree and easily correctable flaws in the fourth but agree Beck has the maturity/makeup to be an accelerated developmental QB. I like Texas Tech G Ramirez here. If we don't draft WR in the first, I also love the under-valued UTEP WR Johnnie Lee Higgins here.

4) #118...Josh Beekman, OG, Boston College, 6' 2", 313 - Not a fan. Invisible at the Senior Bowl, soft at the combine and not saying the right things in interviews http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=647021. I'd prefer to complete my UTEP connection here with Palmer or address NT but I don't have any answers yet.

5) #149...Chris Henry, RB, Arizona, 5' 11", 230 - Really want to hate him and his ugly alma matter I knew he was dangerous even before his combine. Really think he'll be long gone by the fifth round, though.

Can't argue with your flyer on Samardzija but I'm flabbergasted that you, of all people, have us wasting a draft pick on Brad Daluiso Jr.!! Donkeys have strong legs too- but they're more accurate...:D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
tm1119;1425587 said:
I am a huge beck fan. I started to throw is name around on this board back in the begining of the season before the whole Romo thing started. With that being said, 3rd is too high for any QB right now. He will immediately go to 3rd on the dpeth chart, and most teams dont even dress 3 QB's anymore. Plus we have a young QB whos confidence took a huge shot already, no need to mess with his head even more.
Unlike a previous QB who took every other QB acquisition as a slap in the face, I don't think Romo is built that way. He endured the highly touted Drew Henson. He knows all he has to do is his job.

We had too long a dry spell at QB to roll the dice on Day 2 alone. IMO. I do remember you were the first to tout Beck, before Romo got his shot.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Sitting Bull;1425589 said:
Good mock, Hos. Can't argue with your first two picks, especially.

#22...Robert Meacham, WR, Tennessee, 6' 3", 210 - Deep draft at WR and our position of greatest need as long as T.O. is on our roster. Love his size/speed ratio and upside and the Mosely article sealed it for me. Don't think Willis will fall; Merriweather is off my board for character; I'd be fine with CB Houston as well.

2) #53...Dan Bazuin, DE/OLB, Central Michigan, 6' 3", 272 - Not many mocks have him as a second rounder but it appears we saw his potential as a 3-4 OLB and were all over him early.

3) #87...John Beck, QB, BYU, 6' 2", 215 - I prefer Jordan Palmer's pedigree and easily correctable flaws in the fourth but agree Beck has the maturity/makeup to be an accelerated developmental QB. I like Texas Tech G Ramirez here. If we don't draft WR in the first, I also love the under-valued UTEP WR Johnnie Lee Higgins here.

4) #118...Josh Beekman, OG, Boston College, 6' 2", 313 - Not a fan. Invisible at the Senior Bowl, soft at the combine and not saying the right things in interviews http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=647021. I'd prefer to complete my UTEP connection here with Palmer or address NT but I don't have any answers yet.

5) #149...Chris Henry, RB, Arizona, 5' 11", 230 - Really want to hate him and his ugly alma matter I knew he was dangerous even before his combine. Really think he'll be long gone by the fifth round, though.

Can't argue with your flyer on Samardzija but I'm flabbergasted that you, of all people, have us wasting a draft pick on Brad Daluiso Jr.!! Donkeys have strong legs too- but they're more accurate...:D
Ugly Alma Mater? Oh, them's fighting words.

This draft is deep at Kicker and taking a flyer in the 7th round is worth the gamble.

I've had a hard time figuring where we go in the first round. Meacham is #1 for me, Patrick Willis or Paul Posluzny are #2, since we have no shot at the guy I love, Laron Landry. Bazuin is the key to us going Meacham in this scenario. I really think we want him and thus won't go LB in round 1.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ZeroClub;1425538 said:
I think it would be great if the draft worked out this way.

Nice touch drafting Samardzija in the 7th. A tip of the hat to tradition. :)

Soliai is getting some buzz as one of the top three NT prospects; seems like he'd be a steal in the 6th round. I wonder if he'll still be there (and if it would be wise to gamble that he'd be there).

Jerry's statements about drafting a QB not withstanding, 3rd round feels at least one round too little high for me.

For the past month or so my guess has been that the Cowboys will go CB or WR in the 1st round. I'd be happy with a quality WR like Meacham.

The Cowboys need another speed guy. Courtney Brown is 6'2" and reportedly ran a 4.32. That size and speed is very tempting. Wouldn't surprise me to see him gone before the 6th round.

I'm mildly surprised to see the final two special teams picks. I'd guess that 1) the Cowboys are feeling o.k. with their current LS and K and 2) Jerry will have a couple of other longshots that he'll want to roll with.
I'm okay with the current LS and K too, but nothing wrong with these guys on the PS developing.

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't be upset with either Bowe or Meacham. But I think the Cowboys would have a hard time letting guys like Jarvis Moss or Anthony Spencer slide past them if they're still on the board, knowing Greg Ellis is coming off a serious injury.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Hostile;1425419 said:

It'd be interesting to see who you had available when we pick in round one. If Nelson or Merriweather are available I'd take one of them if not and Rice from USC (Carolina) was I'd take him.....

Also if we did go S with our first pick we could look at Jacoby Jones in the 3rd.....

BTW I know JJ has said we will look within for our starting FS but Jones is great at blowing smoke....

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I love your mock. I'd be thrilled to get Meachum in the first. 2 great UT WRs on our team makes me happy (Witten).

Gotta say I'd like to see another lineman in there somewhere for the offense, in the second preferably.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Hostile;1425419 said:

# 6 would be a dream but will he fall that far???

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Crown Royal;1425820 said:
I love your mock. I'd be thrilled to get Meachum in the first. 2 great UT WRs on our team makes me happy (Witten).

Gotta say I'd like to see another lineman in there somewhere for the offense, in the second preferably.
Where would you play the guy I have in the 4th round? I have him on the OL myself. Or are you saying we need 2 OL picks?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jksmith269;1425817 said:
It'd be interesting to see who you had available when we pick in round one. If Nelson or Merriweather are available I'd take one of them if not and Rice from USC (Carolina) was I'd take him.....

Also if we did go S with our first pick we could look at Jacoby Jones in the 3rd.....

BTW I know JJ has said we will look within for our starting FS but Jones is great at blowing smoke....
I have no interest in Merriweather.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ELDudearino;1425821 said:
# 6 would be a dream but will he fall that far???
Probably not. He did too well at the Combines. Early projections this is where he was slotted. Now he's moving up.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Hostile;1425845 said:
Where would you play the guy I have in the 4th round? I have him on the OL myself. Or are you saying we need 2 OL picks?

Two OL picks. I'd like a tackle or center.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Crown Royal;1425877 said:
Two OL picks. I'd like a tackle or center.
Okay gotcha. I actually did look at both positions. I just ended up going in another direction when the choices were made. I went RB in 5 and DT and CB in 6 instead.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
I like that draft.

Robert is a great pick talent and character wise.

I think the measurables you have on Bazuin are suspect. I don't think he's that big bringing into question whether he'll be able to translate into the NFL at 3-4 OLB.

Based on our teams make-up, I'd take a flier on Jeff Samardzija as early as the 4th RD.

But a very solid draft, void on any risk reward.

I think the Cowboys are in a great position to risk with some players.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Charles;1426594 said:
I like that draft.

Robert is a great pick talent and character wise.

I think the measurables you have on Bazuin are suspect. I don't think he's that big bringing into question whether he'll be able to translate into the NFL at 3-4 OLB.

Based on our teams make-up, I'd take a flier on Jeff Samardzija as early as the 4th RD.

But a very solid draft, void on any risk reward.

I think the Cowboys are in a great position to risk with some players.

Buzz weighed in at 266 at the Combine