My first "First-Pick" draft of 2019

Sydla

Reaction score
I was offered KC's 2nd rounder (61) and their third rounder (92) for our 58th pick, so I took it.

(2nd) Juan Thornhill - S - Virginia
(3rd) Anthony Nelson - DT/DE - Iowa
(3rd) Renell Wren - DT - ASU
(4th) Kahale Warring - TE - SDSU
(4th) Dexter Williams - TB - ND
(5th) Lil'Jordan Humphrey - WR - Texas
(7th) Chris Westry - CB - Kentucky

Not sure how I feel about it. Some of the players left were pretty unbelievable. For example, at 61 there was still Abram, Thornhill, Hooker all available. I doubt Humphrey would be there in the 5th too.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Like it. Not sure what to do with Anthony Nelson though. Like the player but what is he in Dallas? Can he get snaps in a crowded DE group? Can he play 3T? I've had him in several of my mocks but still can't decide what he is. Love Warring, I'd hoped Dallas would have paid a little more attention to him.

Sydla

Reaction score
Like it. Not sure what to do with Anthony Nelson though. Like the player but what is he in Dallas? Can he get snaps in a crowded DE group? Can he play 3T? I've had him in several of my mocks but still can't decide what he is. Love Warring, I'd hoped Dallas would have paid a little more attention to him.

I've read Nelson could be a 3T. I only took him because the way that particular mock draft broke down, he was the best DL left on the board and frankly, there wasn't a ton of value (guys that I personally liked) at other positions.

I also liked being able to slide down a few spots in the 2nd round and get another 3rd round pick. If you could come out of this draft with a 2nd round pick, two thirds and two fourths, that's not a bad situation.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was offered KC's 2nd rounder (61) and their third rounder (92) for our 58th pick, so I took it.

Not sure how I feel about it. Some of the players left were pretty unbelievable. For example, at 61 there was still Abram, Thornhill, Hooker all available. I doubt Humphrey would be there in the 5th too.

Looks good.

I can't decide about Wren. He has ideal size and physical upside but I don't like his game footage. Marinelli likes projects and should be able to make him into a better pro than college player.

I would like to get the big CB from Houston in the mid rounds but Westry is the type of raw prospect with high upside that I like in the late rounds.

Sydla

Reaction score
Looks good.

I can't decide about Wren. He has ideal size and physical upside but I don't like his game footage. Marinelli likes projects and should be able to make him into a better pro than college player.

I would like to get the big CB from Houston in the mid rounds but Westry is the type of raw prospect with high upside that I like in the late rounds.

Yeah Wren is an enigma.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Looks good.

Wren is going to be a McClain clone. No better, no worse. Is that what we’re looking for in a 3rd rounder?

morasp

Reaction score
I've done mocks and taken Thornhill or Savage early and came back in the fourth and picked Hooker for the Slot/Box safety. PFF did a mock draft on youtube and Hooker was gone before 58.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah Wren is an enigma.
6-5, 318 is the type of size I would like to see for the Cowboys at 3-tech DT.

They already have multiple tweeners around 280 pounds like Crawford, Hyder and even Taco could be considered a tweener.

There is always a lot of fan/media focus on getting a big 1-tech but I would like more size at 3-tech. M.Collins has good size and is good when healthy but he is rarely ever 100% healthy.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wren is going to be a McClain clone. No better, no worse. Is that what we’re looking for in a 3rd rounder?
If T.McClain could have stayed healthy he would have been a very good player to have on the roster. He had ability at both 3-tech and 1-tech.

Macnalty

Reaction score
at pick 58 the meat of the draft will have premium talent with WR and CB according to Peter King. First Pick was a great idea that never got any better than the first edition, was hoping for improvement and it has never materialized. Great layout just no beef behind the interface. Any body think otherwise?

mcduff

Reaction score

Oh my, just mail that one in...The thing about Humphrey, I don't think I remember him being caught from behind.. Two players fell for lack of speed Jerry Rice and Emmett Smith. Like Lil they had football speed versus underwear speed.