My Ideal Draft for the Cowboys

tm1119

Reaction score
Round 1- if micheal huff is available at 18 we pick him. if not trade down with 1 of the 3 teams that needs an RB, hopefully getting thier 1st and 3 rd. if that occurs we should draft the best available LB, either Carpenter or Manny Lawson

Round 2- Best available OT. either Colledge, Trueblood, O’Callahagn, or Eric Winston

Round 3- Safety - either Pat Watkins or Donte Whitner(if we pick huff then WR should be picked here)

Other 3rd Rounder- Best Available WR. Nance, Greg Lee, Jason Avant, or Mike Hass

after that we should just pick the best available players

ghst187

Reaction score
tm1119 said:
Round 1-6 we should just pick the best available players

I modified your quote to fit my opinion, which didn't take much modifying.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
My Ideal Draft for the Cowboys
Round 1- Trade down with 1 of the 3 teams that needs an RB, or someone that wants a player but not carpenter or manny lawson.hopefully getting thier 1st and 3 rd. if that occurs we should draft the best available LB, either Carpenter or Manny Lawson. With that extra pick, we get an extra 3rd round draft choice.

Round 2- Best available OT. either Colledge, Trueblood, O?Callahagn, or Eric Winston We also, trade Glover for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick, but keep maybe Ellis. Or do opposite, trade Ellis, but keep Glover, but with a restructured contract.

Round 3- Safety - either Pat Watkins or Donte Whitner(if we pick huff then WR should be picked here)

Other 3rd Rounder- Best Available WR. Nance, Greg Lee, Jason Avant, or Mike Hass

We also take Hester, or the big physical WR from Notre Dame, maybe an OG or center too.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Most have seen my draft Ideas, but I'll update it. (it will change a few times before draft day by the way)

I would trade down to the second round to any team within the 1st 4 picks of the 2nd round, hopefully Houston. I would get their 1st pick in the 2nd, their 1st pick in the 3rd, and next years number 1. Then I would trade Ellis and next years 1, (from houston that I just received) and trade them to Denver for their 1st pick at number 22.
Next I would trade Glover straight up for a 4 if I can.

That gives us the 22nd pick over all, the 1st pick in the 2nd round, the 18th pick in the 2nd round, the 1st pick in the 3rd round, the 18th pick in the third round, a 4th, 5th and 7th. = 1 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 7.

That gives us 5 1st day picks.

I would draft -
1. OLB / Bobby Carpenter or Manny Lawson (BOTH are Beasts)
2. DT / Gabe Watson (MONSTER)
2. OT / Daryn Colledge (outstanding pass protector)
3. WR / Chad Jackson (future star)
3. FS / Pat Watkins or Anthony Smith
4. CB / Devon Hester (special Teams highlight reel)
5. RT / Willie Hall 6'6 (315) (tackle that held Lawson/Ware/ & Pollack to no sacks.
7. OLB / Justin Parrish 6'2 (244) - (passrush beast)

You still have all of your draft choices for next year (to go after Quinn) you get rid of Ellis (doesn't fit scheme) you get rid of Glover (doesn't fit scheme)
Next Years Super Bowl Champs are the Dallas Cowboys.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Only problem with that if you trade Elllis and Glover, you have no true vet experience with our younger defensive lineman. Now, if you go out and sign Darren Howard and either Julian Peterson or John Abraham, then I would go for that.

Thing to remember, back in 75, when the Cowboys went to super bowl, and got beat by you know who. We had a young defensive line, Ed Jones in 74, first overall pick, Harvey Martin in 73, a 3rd round pick, Randy White in 75, along with Larry Cole and Bill Gregory. Our best talent was Jones and Martin at that time in 75, they learned on the way, but remember in 74, was a poor year. If you trade away guys like Elllis and Glover, you have no veteran leadership on defensive line. To back that statement up, all i have to do is point to our linebackers. You know what happened when Dat went down, then Singleton went down, our defense suffered, especially play calling on defense, with dat out.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I would draft -
1. OLB / Bobby Carpenter or Manny Lawson (BOTH are Beasts)
2. DT / Gabe Watson (MONSTER)
2. OT / Daryn Colledge (outstanding pass protector)
3. WR / Chad Jackson (future star)
3. FS / Pat Watkins or Anthony Smith
4. CB / Devon Hester (special Teams highlight reel)
5. RT / Willie Hall 6'6 (315) (tackle that held Lawson/Ware/ & Pollack to no sacks.
7. OLB / Justin Parrish 6'2 (244) - (passrush beast)
That would be a perfect draft for Dallas. Wouldn't change a thing right now. Might need to tweak it a little after FA.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I would trade down to the second round to any team within the 1st 4 picks of the 2nd round, hopefully Houston. I would get their 1st pick in the 2nd, their 1st pick in the 3rd, and next years number 1. Then I would trade Ellis and next years 1, (from houston that I just received) and trade them to Denver for their 1st pick at number 22.
Next I would trade Glover straight up for a 4 if I can.

That gives us the 22nd pick over all, the 1st pick in the 2nd round, the 18th pick in the 2nd round, the 1st pick in the 3rd round, the 18th pick in the third round, a 4th, 5th and 7th. = 1 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 7.

I don't mean any disrespect, but you do realize how completely insane this suggestion, right? Is it your opinion that we get to just choose to trade down and make some other team trade a bunch of picks for our's?

This is just so completely un-realistic that it isn't worth considering.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
cobra said:
I don't mean any disrespect, but you do realize how completely insane this suggestion, right? Is it your opinion that we get to just choose to trade down and make some other team trade a bunch of picks for our's?

This is just so completely un-realistic that it isn't worth considering.
What's un realistic? Trading down to the 2nd round? Like we've done before to pick up Julius Jones? And what did we get for him? I think we got their 2nd, and the following years 1st and an additional pick for that same year. So before you speak to me like I'm crazy, check the history.

Now we're loaded with Ellis and a 2 1st from next year. Right? Follow me closely.......

Denver has 2 1st rounders, right? The 22nd pick and the 30th pick, correct?
I'm not suggesting this all would happen, but get on the phone and try, right?

We're not on the clock because we've just traded our 18th pick, right?

Now we turn around and offer Ellis and 1 of those 1's from next year (that we just acquired) and give it to Denver to get their 22nd pick. It's Ellis and a 1, that's good value.

Then you trade Glover earlier. Now you may not get to trade Glover because of his roster bonus due, but if you want a 4, then you bite the 1. something million and trade him for a 4th. Let me add this... You get on the phone with Denver before all of this goes down, and ask them would they make a deal for Ellis and a 1st rounder to get one of those 1st round picks? If they say no, then the whole thing is off.
That's how you do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I feel better.:D

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:
Only problem with that if you trade Elllis and Glover, you have no true vet experience with our younger defensive lineman. Now, if you go out and sign Darren Howard and either Julian Peterson or John Abraham, then I would go for that.

Thing to remember, back in 75, when the Cowboys went to super bowl, and got beat by you know who. We had a young defensive line, Ed Jones in 74, first overall pick, Harvey Martin in 73, a 3rd round pick, Randy White in 75, along with Larry Cole and Bill Gregory. Our best talent was Jones and Martin at that time in 75, they learned on the way, but remember in 74, was a poor year. If you trade away guys like Elllis and Glover, you have no veteran leadership on defensive line. To back that statement up, all i have to do is point to our linebackers. You know what happened when Dat went down, then Singleton went down, our defense suffered, especially play calling on defense, with dat out.
No offense, but we are running a 3-4.

Let me point out 3 teams that employ the 3-4. These are the best of the best.

SanDiego Chargers, Pittsburgh Steelers, New England Patriots.

They don't use any DE's under 298 pounds, and Ellis is 280lbs. Those teams have nose tackles that are atleast 325 pounds, and Glover is 290. 40 pounds lighter. BTW/ Ferguson is too lite as well, being 310 pounds.

So what are we going to use them for? If we keep them for passrushing on obvious downs, they need to take a significant pay cut, and I don't think you should even let them do that. Let them go somewhere where they will sprout.:)

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
What's un realistic? Trading down to the 2nd round? Like we've done before to pick up Julius Jones? And what did we get for him? I think we got their 2nd, and the following years 1st and an additional pick for that same year. So before you speak to me like I'm crazy, check the history.

Now we're loaded with Ellis and a 2 1st from next year. Right? Follow me closely.......

Denver has 2 1st rounders, right? The 22nd pick and the 30th pick, correct?
I'm not suggesting this all would happen, but get on the phone and try, right?

We're not on the clock because we've just traded our 18th pick, right?

Now we turn around and offer Ellis and 1 of those 1's from next year (that we just acquired) and give it to Denver to get their 22nd pick. It's Ellis and a 1, that's good value.

Then you trade Glover earlier. Now you may not get to trade Glover because of his roster bonus due, but if you want a 4, then you bite the 1. something million and trade him for a 4th. Let me add this... You get on the phone with Denver before all of this goes down, and ask them would they make a deal for Ellis and a 1st rounder to get one of those 1st round picks? If they say no, then the whole thing is off.
That's how you do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I feel better.:D

Whats unrealistic is expecting Houstons 2, 3 and #1 next year. Doesn't add up on the old trade chart. Houston picks first remember? Swapping the Cowboys 18 for this years 2 and 3 is close.

neosapien23

Reaction score
I think Lawson and Carpenter will be great players, but I would rather take a tackle in the first and guard in the second. Scott and Guilles would go a long way to solidifying the Oline position for future years. I think Akin Adoyele can come in and play OLB very well.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
junk said:
Whats unrealistic is expecting Houstons 2, 3 and #1 next year. Doesn't add up on the old trade chart. Houston picks first remember? Swapping the Cowboys 18 for this years 2 and 3 is close.
We can easily get their 2 and and next years 1. You don't go up 15 spots without giving up a 1./ Plus I also mentioned anyone within the 1st 4 picks of the 2nd. They would drool to get 2 number 1's.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
What is unrealistic about it you are suggesting that we get to make these decisions. As if it a firm rule of physics or something. That when the Cowboys get on the clock, we call up Houston and say "Ok, you are taking this pick and player, and we are taking your 2,3 and next's year #1. You don't have any say in it, but that's what we are doing." Then we get off the phone with Denver and say "You are giving us one of your #1's, and we are giving you next year's #1 and a player. Just thought you should know that this what we are choosing to do."

Things don't work that way. There has to be a player that Houston desperately wants and would be dying to trade up for to make such a trade attractive to them. Likewise with making a trade to Denver.

And as one person says, the values don't add up. No team is going to be giving up picks that easy; no team is that stupid. You have to persuade them.

In short, it is complete asinity to predict how a team can trade down.

You "prediction" is as likely to happen as me of crapping a living reproduction of DeMarcus Ware that can start for the boys at OLB next year.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
We can easily get their 2 and and next years 1. You don't go up 15 spots without giving up a 1./ Plus I also mentioned anyone within the 1st 4 picks of the 2nd. They would drool to get 2 number 1's.

Well, first, that isn't what you said. You said a 2, 3, and next years #1.

I don't think you would be able to get their 2 and next year's #1 unless there was a guy that was in a free fall.

Better value to stick where they are and keep their pick for next year.

What good is 2 #1s when you can stay where you are at and get equal value as well as keep your #1 for next year?

neosapien23

Reaction score
junk said:

I don't think you would be able to get their 2 and next year's #1 unless there was a guy that was in a free fall.

What good is 2 #1s when you can stay where you are at and get equal value as well as keep your #1 for next year?

I think he had a miss print. I wouldn't mind trading out of the first this year to have two number 1s to snag Brady Quinn. I hear Washington wants a first round pick this year. I trade our first for their 2nd, 5th, and 1st round pick next year.

Bizwah

Reaction score
cobra said:
What is unrealistic about it you are suggesting that we get to make these decisions. As if it a firm rule of physics or something. That when the Cowboys get on the clock, we call up Houston and say "Ok, you are taking this pick and player, and we are taking your 2,3 and next's year #1. You don't have any say in it, but that's what we are doing." Then we get off the phone with Denver and say "You are giving us one of your #1's, and we are giving you next year's #1 and a player. Just thought you should know that this what we are choosing to do."

Things don't work that way. There has to be a player that Houston desperately wants and would be dying to trade up for to make such a trade attractive to them. Likewise with making a trade to Denver.

And as one person says, the values don't add up. No team is going to be giving up picks that easy; no team is that stupid. You have to persuade them.

In short, it is complete asinity to predict how a team can trade down.

You "prediction" is as likely to happen as me of crapping a living reproduction of DeMarcus Ware that can start for the boys at OLB next year.

This is exactly why I stop reading mocks that have the word "trade" in them.

Well, I guess I don't have a problem with wishful thinking.....I just don't think it's realistic. How often to trades like the one suggested happen?

We went YEARS without two first round picks. The only reason we had two last year was because the Bills stupidly HAD to have Losman.

I am now FIRMLY in the "Draft the Best Player On Your Draft Board" camp. I don't think you go wrong doing this.

I would love to see this....Now, again this is my ideal.

FA:
LeCharles Bentley
Jeff Backus
Wil Demps

1st:
Bobby Carpenter
2nd:
Darrell Jackson
3rd:
Max Jean-Gilles (although, may not be available)
5th:
Gerald Anderson
6th:
JD Runnels
7th:
Pat Massey

Just a first draft......PUN intended.

Bizwah

Reaction score
TurtleTurds said:
would chad jackson really go in the 3rd round???
No......I don't think so....Second probably right now.

He could wind up being a big-time riser depending on workouts.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Last year we had the prime chance to move Glover and we didn't so no it will be nearly impossible. When you have an opportunity to make a strong move, you have to make it and not sit back and let teams run over and thru you.

If Parcells' thinks that A.J.Hawk is the best player since Joe Montana, then If I have to trade our 18th pick and next years 1 to get A.J. Hawk, then so be it. If I have to ask every team from the beginning of the 2nd round, until the 10th selection in the 2nd round, I will if it will help me get a player I really like.

I think Parcells trade for more picks. Teams are always looking to move up, and if we see a player we have to have like (Hawk/Ngata/Ferguson) and Parcells thinks those players will completely be the one player to take our defense or offense to the next level, then you pull the trigger. "Shoot or get shot"

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
junk said:

You try to get a 3, if not then take a 4 or 5, who cares? The important part is, you try and sell a team on the trade and if it works then fine, and if it doesn't then fine.

But I would turn over every stone...