CFZ My issue with Parsons is usage

Whyjerry

Reaction score
So no one can argue Micah Parsons is not an elite talent. Size, speed, strength, flare for the moment he is the complete package. I personally don’t like the Twitter stuff but on the field he is a cornerstone player that makes the other 10 defenders better.

My issue with him is usage. He has weakened towards the end of each season. He has been used almost exclusively as a pass rusher often times taking on tackles that outweigh him by 70-80 pounds. That is not a recipe for long term success in my opinion.

So the question I ask is this…would you rather have Parsons A or B.

A - Elite edge pass rusher. 12-18 sacks per year. Prone to run out of gas late in the season. 3 plus years of elite sack production.

B - All world LB. 8-12 sacks per year. Lines up all over the field. Blitz dawg. Turnover creating machine. 6/7 more years of being an elite perennial All Pro LB.

Very curious to hear what people think on this one. I vote for player B.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
There's no functional difference between the two. He would have to blitz almost every down to get 8 sacks playing as an off ball LB.

People need to be more realistic about what he actually is. Quinn moves him around a ton so he functions as a blitzer anyways, and you can't waste his talent by asking him to play coverage more than a couple of plays a game. Plus, Parsons isn't instinctual enough to be a "All World" lb and those players don't matter much anyway.

His schematic usage is what it should be, he just needs a few more snaps off.

Toro9

Reaction score
I'd be happy if he's a 4-3 version of Von Miller for 10 years. I think he's more diverse than Miller, i.e. he can play corner if he has to but I won't complain about 50 solo tackles and 13 sacks a year. I would like to see him play coverage like ~20% of the time just to give him some opportunity to get a pick and cause confusion for the QB and OC.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Parsons wasn’t being used in college as a pass rusher the way he has been in the NFL. As the season goes on it wears on him. He came out of the gates fast last season, but just past midseason he began to tire. He started dealing with some injuries last season. He’s having to take on a lot of double teams. Offenses have figured out ways to neutralize him. He hasn’t really shown up in any of our playoff games. We’re going to need other players to step up to apply pressure to take some of the focus off of him. He looked exhausted in some games later in the season. By the postseason he was out of gas. He’s having to take a number of blows on the sidelines. There were times he was on the sidelines when I felt like he should be in the game. We’ll see what the added weight does for him. He said he came in about 5 pounds lighter last season. Not sure how much weight he’s added but we’ll see if it helps or hurts him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So no one can argue Micah Parsons is not an elite talent. Size, speed, strength, flare for the moment he is the complete package. I personally don’t like the Twitter stuff but on the field he is a cornerstone player that makes the other 10 defenders better.

My issue with him is usage. He has weakened towards the end of each season. He has been used almost exclusively as a pass rusher often times taking on tackles that outweigh him by 70-80 pounds. That is not a recipe for long term success in my opinion.

A - Elite edge pass rusher. 12-18 sacks per year. Prone to run out of gas late in the season. 3 plus years of elite sack production.

B - All world LB. 8-12 sacks per year. Lines up all over the field. Blitz dawg. Turnover creating machine. 6/7 more years of being an elite perennial All Pro LB.

IM not curious at all , our thoughts won't become reality, the coaches and players will figure that out.
C. None of the above

first off calling him Prone to run out of gas when its been more dinged up is the issue but he had plenty of good games in the playoffs.. so thats a terrible little declaimer you added. also this generation grew up with SM its part of sports and the game now, let him be him. Sorry, SOME the older generation gets triggered and butthurt they don't like the SM and want them to be the 70s(you mean like 10 channels on analog and only a few networks with only few sports casters)-90s team( internet just began and began the process toward what we saw to day but most of us had to watch SportsCenter or catch the radio in real time or read the stats/stories in the newspaper), umm media saturation is out of control, in their faces, and SM is now the new normal;. Get passed it, our own Potus couldn't be forced off it , good or bad , it not going anywhere LOL and as DC its 10Xs worse.

D. he will always be used like B, that what hes been, the coaches already told him as much but he seems to want to eb FT DE.. if he feels he can do it , let him.. im betting regardless of him moving around he playing 60 snaps game and will have to avoid injury in this new nfl 17 game schedule with high motor like his, it happens. Bosa brothers, young, dlaw and others are all dinged up.

Only way for him to have MORE gas is force him off the field (good luck with that) for less snaps, playing LB or DE wont mater i mean OLB are typically DEs anyway.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Parsons wasn’t being used in college as a pass rusher the way he has been in the NFL. As the season goes on it wears on him. He came out of the gates fast last season, but just past midseason he began to tire. He started dealing with some injuries last season. He’s having to take on a lot of double teams. Offenses have figured out ways to neutralize him. He hasn’t really shown up in any of our playoff games. We’re going to need other players to step up to apply pressure to take some of the focus off of him. He looked exhausted in some games later in the season. By the postseason he was out of gas. He’s having to take a number of blows on the sidelines. There were times he was on the sidelines when I felt like he should be in the game. We’ll see what the added weight does for him. He said he came in about 5 pounds lighter last season. Not sure how much weight he’s added but we’ll see if it helps or hurts him.
you miss the TB game he showed up BIG. hes not tiring many more then ay other paper playing max snaps at 120%, he was dinged both groin, ankle and then a shoulder brace showed up, slowed him down not unlike many other players in the NFL. Ware was accused of stat padding many games in normal situations rarely showed dup in big moments of big games. its just how it works for the players who are being focused on in game plans they use 2-3 players on them and that why you get Armstrong, fowler and Williams have a lot of success. its part of the game. Hes freeing up others but doesn't like being a decoy and fights so hard against those doubles etc that he has to learn to save himself some energy. IE why was he allowed back in, dinged up in blowout wa sit against MN top go pad his stats? they should have stole his helmet or cleats.. he should never have forced his way back on the field. he did this a lot last season wanting to add some late sacks

noting to do with LB vs DE..

tyke1doe

Reaction score
B a bug that buzzes free
C what you do with youreyes
D a grade I get frequently
E ...

reddyuta

Reaction score
Micah is a DE now.he will play 95% at DE.if this is the case then they need to limit his snaps like the chargers do for Bosa.use him in high pressure situations like 3rd and long and most of the 4th Q.we have plenty of good DEs who can play RE.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Micah is still very young yet -- it's quite possible that the best of him is yet to be seen. I feel Dan Quinn is good enough to bring out the best in him.

conner01

Reaction score
Micah is a DE now.he will play 95% at DE.if this is the case then they need to limit his snaps like the chargers do for Bosa.use him in high pressure situations like 3rd and long and most of the 4th Q.we have plenty of good DEs who can play RE.
Bosa snaps have been limited by injury more than design
In his 3 seasons he played all the games he’s played about the same number of snaps as Micah
Micah played more snaps his rookie year but more at LB. Last year he played 80% of snaps. Probably a bit too many if it’s mostly DE. But Bosa has played 86% one of his full seasons and 77% anither
I think it’s more about an individual game than anything. If he’s rushing a lot early he probably should get more rest in 3rd or early 4th depending on the situation

Last edited:

Toro9

Reaction score
If we can get a TFL on 1st down I'm fine with Micah taking 2nd down off.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They can keep him for at least 7 seasons.

5th year option and then 2 tags.

He will be worn out by then. 8((

JBS

Reaction score
These aren’t the real life options so this thread makes no sense

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
He played his *** off in the 49'rs game ......

I call bull******* on this thread

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

B, no other viable option

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I've said this many times already, but consistently matching Parsons up against offensive lineman who are much bigger will take its toll. I think Dallas used him on the line something like 80% of his snaps. I understand the temptation, because he is an absolute game changer.