My issues with the "trainee"

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Fact: During Jason Garrett’s three full seasons as head coach, the Dallas Cowboys have steadily declined on defense.

They ranked 14th defensively in 2011, 16th in 2012 and 32nd last season.

The shallow mind may look at that and say:

1. Our defense blows.
2. We can't stop anyone.
3. There's no leadership on the defensive side of the ball.
4. We lack any semblance of talent to truly compete.

Let's delve a little deeper... One of the basic building blocks of a successful team is a solid offensive attack that consists of a mixture of creative passing along with some invigorating down your throat running. Practically every "pass first" offense has utilized the run successfully to compliment the passing game and "manage the clock".

Last year it was the Seahawks that utilized "Beastmode" consistently throughout the year to compliment the pass and manage the clock. Their unwavering reliance on a balanced attack led to a largely unknown defense taking the field regularly in position to succeed. It may sound a bit strange to you but there's more to successful offense than just scoring. If you score too fast it can sometimes be the equivalent to a 3 & out. I would be much more content with an offense that utilized 20 opportunities per game to log 28 points than one that utilized 30 opportunities to do the same. Ball control is a cornerstone to a successful venture. I harken back to Seattle once again because they mix in the run with great regularity.

So what happens when you have a nice mix of run/pass? Garrett are you listening?

1. The opposing defense remains off balance and ON the field which keeps our defense OFF the field and rested.
2. All 11 offensive players are primed and ready to do damage when breaking the huddle... Believe it or not, offensive linemen prefer firing out and putting someone on their back over pass pro all day everyday.
3. Your defense remains fresh and ready to produce stops.

It all evens out when you utilize balance in the offensive scheme.

So why is it that after three years we are still searching for that balance on offense. We are wasting Demarco Murray's prime very much like we wasted the prime years of players like Witten and Ware. The issues are systemic yet we are to believe that a little tweak here or there on the coaching staff is the answer. Hmmmm. I'll gladly wait and see on that one. I have seen it plenty of times in the last few years.

The only real way to achieve balance on offense and allow the run game to finally become the meaningful part of the strategy that it should have been all along is to keep Garrett as far away from the offensive game planners as humanly possible. As a matter of fact, if the offensive brain trust is strategizing on one side of the field in practice, I want Garrett on the opposite sideline. Reduce him to a rah rah coach and let's get on with truly improving our ability to place our defense in positions to be successful when they takes the field.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Umm.... can you clarify some thing:

And what exactly do you mean by "largely unknown defense"?

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
I wonder how Garrett feels about being called a "trainee" by JJ? I'd be insulted, but maybe he is happy having a job that pays millions of $$$ and just shuts up and takes it?

Just remember, in our hopes for a balanced attack on offense, JG, I believe has to do things on offense that JJ wants. He wants Romo throwing as much as possible. When public pressure to run hits extremes as it did last season, suddenly we have a game with an inordinate amount of running plays. Almost stubbornly so, then it's back to normal. Keep in mind, JJ has said publicly he bought the team to have input on play-callling.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They ranked 14th defensively in 2011, 16th in 2012 and 32nd last season.

The shallow mind may look at that and say:

1. Our defense blows.
2. We can't stop anyone.
3. There's no leadership on the defensive side of the ball.
4. We lack any semblance of talent to truly compete.
5. Shallow depth has been fully exposed after key starters fell to injury (and Ratliff's bs)

That's not necessarily shallow, though.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Umm.... can you clarify some thing:

And what exactly do you mean by "largely unknown defense"?

Pieced together with relative unknowns and late round draft picks. . . Much like what we're copying right now on D hoping to hit the same jackpot.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
5. Shallow depth has been fully exposed after key starters fell to injury (and Ratliff's bs)

That's not necessarily shallow, though.

You're right. But only focusing on the defensive side of the ball when analyzing our shortcomings is missing the target imo. This is not about the offensive players. It's about the strategy.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're right. But only focusing on the defensive side of the ball when analyzing our shortcomings is missing the target imo. This is not about the offensive players. It's about the strategy.
That's a good counterpoint. However, not including all the variables involving the defensive slide weakens the overall argument.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
That's a good counterpoint. However, not including all the variables involving the defensive slide weakens the overall argument.

Games are won in the second half. We have consistently established an offensive philosophy that says we're going to win this in the 1st quarter. Then feel fall flat on our faces when a more balanced attack smacks us squarely in the faces. The offensive strategy is flawed.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Games are won in the second half. We have consistently established an offensive philosophy that says we're going to win this in the 1st quarter. Then feel fall flat on our faces when a more balanced attack smacks us squarely in the faces. The offensive strategy is flawed.
Who's arguing against that? Garrett should have been flogged following the second half of the Green Bay game. Nonetheless, the entire defensive component cannot be excised from the equation you included in the OP. It's a different discussion if the OP listed the offensive failures alone.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This is an easy one at his nothing to do with Garrett really.

I doubt he has been the one switching coordinators, scheme and defensive philosophy every year.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
When you start a thread with a title like that some will immediately consider it a bash thread.

Even when the owner describes you in that manner publicly? They (org) brought that perception/definition on, not fans (though we do like to reiterate it :D with enjoyment).

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Got it backwards. SEA wins games because you can't pass on them. "Beast Mode" let's them keep from getting in too many disadvantageous passing situations, and then they win by the passing effectiveness differential everybody always keeps talking about that correlates so well with winning football games across the board in the NFL.

On the flip side, we pass effectively, and stop the pass very poorly. The differential gets us to .500 every season and that's not going to change unless and until we can defend the pass better (while still maintaining an effective passing game of our own). It has very little to do with a run v. pass balance, and to the extent that it does, it's because we don't have the option of winning games by not passing, because we can't get ahead in the differential equation that way because our defense cannot hold up it's end of the bargain. That's been true the last three seasons under Garrett, anyway. Once the defense plays better, you'll have the luxury of being able to call more running plays late in games with leads. The defense remaining 'fresh' or the OLs wanting to run block has very little to do with anything.

And, insert the obligatory 'Jason Garrett is responsible for the defense, too, since he's been here for four years now.' Because, yes, it's completely true. This is the reason people should be complaining about Jason Garrett. He's failed so far to fix the problems on defense, and he's flailed with the DC position in the process.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Pieced together with relative unknowns and late round draft picks. . . Much like what we're copying right now on D hoping to hit the same jackpot.

I would agree with that in 2011 they were unknown but by 2013 it would, imo, be more accurate to say formerly unknown defense.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
This is an easy one at his nothing to do with Garrett really.

I doubt he has been the one switching coordinators, scheme and defensive philosophy every year.

Seems to happen when the HC has no interest in defense or a defined "defensive philosophy" bc he is allowed to be a OC with a HC label, etc. He deserves the blame for the defensive decline as well as his "offensive credit 'rankings' and youth movement." So he is supposed to have backbone in terms of player management, but is "incapable" of implementing his defense? Doesn't go both ways (btw, I know your not a JG homer, just making some general points of the inconsistent credit/deferment for his accomplishments/negatives)

I know your general point is that JJ is the real man behind all of these moves bc of his puppet having no say on D. But, maybe, JG could use his "chameleon--Ginger" personality to start to influence JJ in the positive in regards to the D:D I like Marinelli, even with all the "rushmen" jokes in that he is a player's coach in finding niche roles based off of a player's specific talents; while hiding the negatives. He did run too much zone in CHI to my liking (but had great D rankings that created a lot of TOs). I am hoping the talent @ CB will force him to incorporate more man, esp with the shaky S situation.

Last edited: