My long awaited MOCK! LOL

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Subject to change 500 times from now till draft day! :)

I'm using the extra 5th and 7th rounders we're sure to get as comp picks also.
Will probably use a few picks to trade up for Chung and Raji, and maybe maneuver around here and there, I'll use TWO 5th round picks and TWO 7th round picks that hypothetically we would use to move up a few slots in any given round or trade for 2010 picks and come away with 8 players in this draft.
I used Walter fotball as possible rounds they would get drafted in and the comments about each pick.

Round 2: S.S. (We get a S.S. to pair with Hamlin, Good in both coverage and run stopping skills, and is a team leader which we could always use more of)

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/Oregon_logo.gif Patrick Chung, SS, Oregon
Height: 6-0. Weight: 210.
Projected 40 Time: 4.46.
Projected Round (2009): 2.
2007: A tough tackler with speed and versatility, Patrick Chung has decided to stay for his senior season after declaring for the 2008 NFL Draft.

Chung just doesn't miss football games; going into the Arizona State contest, he's making his 34th straight start. He had four picks and two sacks as a sophomore.

Round 3: Plan is to make him into a 3-4 D.E. (I think Spears is gone, and we need more guys ont he D-line who can get to the Q.B., and with 8.5 sacks in 13 games at D.T., he'd help a lot at D.E. in the 3-4 at giving us a pass rush)
http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/GeorgiaTech_logo.gif Vance Walker, Georgia Tech
Height: 6-2. Weight: 294.
Projected 40 Time: 4.89.
Projected Round (2009): 2-3.
5/9/08: Vance Walker made major strides in 2007, registering 8.5 sacks in 13 games. Oh, and he's just as good at stopping the run as he is getting to the quarterback.

Round 4: N.T. (Gives us a pure N.T. where we can move Ratliff around)

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/BostonCollege_logo.gif B.J. Raji, Boston College
Height: 6-1. Weight: 325.
Projected 40 Time: 5.10.
Projected Round (2009): 3-4.
5/9/08: Hopefully B.J. Raji will actually be academically eligible in 2008 after getting suspended last year (apparently, Raji was shocked to learn that one plus one doesn't equal four). Interestingly enough, Raji dropped 15 pounds since getting dismissed. I guess math is great for the mind and body.

2007: B.J. Raji was declared academically ineligible. He will either red shirt or enter the draft after taking a season off.

Raji, a monstrous nose tackle, is one of the premier run-stuffers in this class.

Round 4: G. (Didn't allow a sack and a huge guy 6'-6 335 to help the run too)

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/TexasTech_logo.gif Louis Vasquez, Texas Tech
Height: 6-6. Weight: 335.
Projected 40 Time: 5.24.
Projected Round (2009): 3-4.
5/25/08: Despite playing in Texas Tech's pass-happy offense, Louis Vasquez didn't allow a single sack in 2007, earning himself a spot on the All-Big XII first team. Vasquez has started 22 consecutive games.

Round 5: O.T. (Can play all 4 line positions with great size also, not a bad 1st name either)
http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/BYU_logo.gif Dallas Reynolds, BYU
Height: 6-5. Weight: 328.
Projected 40 Time: 5.10.
Projected Round (2009): 4-5.
5/24/08: In addition to having solid workout numbers, Dallas Reynolds can play four positions on the line. He's also reliable; Reynolds has 37 consecutive starts.

2007: How does a 328-pound lineman run so fast? Dallas Reynolds has the workout numbers; if he improves on his blocking, which is already solid, he could go early second, or even late first.

Round 6: I.L.B. (STEAL POTENTIAL)
http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/SouthCarolina_logo.gif Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina
Height: 6-2. Weight: 257.
Projected 40 Time: 4.58.
Projected Round (2009): 5-6.
5/11/08: Jasper Brinkley was a late first, early second-round prospect before suffering a nasty injury during the 2007 season. He has to prove himself all over again this year.

2007: Jasper Brinkley is out for the year with a knee injury. He may apply for a medical redshirt and return to South Carolina in 2008.

A member of the All-SEC First Team, Brinkley is a monstrous linebacker who will be able to play numerous positions on an NFL team because of his impressive size and speed. Brinkley and Vince Hall, the top inside linebackers of the 2008 class, will be hoping James Laurinaitis and Rey Maualuga stay in school.

Round 6: O.T. (good size and seems like he has good potential)
http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/Purdue_logo.gif Sean Sester, Purdue
Height: 6-7. Weight: 323.
Projected 40 Time: 5.14.
Projected Round (2009): 6.
5/24/08: Curtis Painter was seldom sacked last year considering how many times he had to throw, and Sean Sester was a major reason for that.

2007: An underrated tackle who hasn't missed a start while playing at Purdue.

Round 7: N.T. (Steal potential and more BEEF at N.T., and if he pans out, we can have him and Raji be our 2 N.T.'s while moving Ratliff to Spears L.E. spot and cut tank)
http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/Miami_logo.gif Antonio Dixon, Miami
Height: 6-3. Weight: 328.
Projected 40 Time: 5.30.
Projected Round (2009): 6-7.
5/9/08: A monstrous nose tackle who was a third-round prospect on this chart until he suffered a knee injury last season.

2007: Antonio Dixon started two games as a sophomore, recording 14 tackles. One of the largest run-stuffers in this class.

I think we'll use picks to move up and/or trade for 2010 picks, so 8 players out of this draft seems about right, I think we added some MUCH NEEDED fresh blood to the D-line which needs a major overhaul IMO, and a few guys who have a lot of potential and I didn't draft a Q.B./R.B./W.R./T.E./O.L.B./C.B., most for obvious reasons, but because I only think we will end up with 7 or 8 picks once all is said and done, I wanted to get positions where we weren't as strong as others, I think we're very strong at C.B./R.B./W.R./T.E. that I don't see any real reason to draft a player at one of those positions just to say we did, and I don't think we'll be drafting a Q.B. to groom, I think we'll go out and get a REAL Vet who can actually play Q.B, I would like a guy like Leftwhich, a former starter who would be a good vet backup who could win games for us if Romo goes down next year, and I just didn't see any O.L.B. with the size that I like after the 1st few rounds, and I didn't want to draft an O.L.b. with one of our top 3 picks, ad after that, I just didn't see anyone that stood out, so that's why I didnt' draft an O.L.B.!

O.K. here are my picks, go pick it apart!

Round 2: S.S. Patrick Chung
Round 3: D.E. Vance Walker
Round 4: N.T. B.J. Raji
Round 4: G. Louis Vasquez
Round 5: O.T. Dallas Reynolds
Round 6: I.L.B. Jasper Brinkley
Round 6: O.T. Sean Sester
Round 7: N.T. Antonio Dixon

I think we need youth, depth, and improvement in the Trenches since games are won and lost int he trenches, and our O-line G. especially is struggling, and both offensive tackles are getting old, and we really need an overhaul on the D-line too, and with our top pick we added a S.S. which completes the secondary.
We have all the SKILL position players, now it's time to rebuild the trenches with this draft IMO.
O.K., Comments?????

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2387403 said:
I like it even though 2nd round safety I'm not feeling.

Why not?
Roy Williams is a liability and will probably be a cap cut, and I really don't see anyone on our roster who has great starting potential.

I have us selecting a S.S. in round 2 cause I'd like to get a stud S.S. to put next to Hamlin for the next 5 years and because I didn't really see a better player at one of our other positions of need in round 2, no one really stood out at me at N.T./D.E./O-lineman that we couldn't wait till rounds 3-5 to select, so I figured why not select a top S.S. to pair with Hamlin to round out or secondary.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2387410 said:
Why not?
Roy Williams is a liability and will probably be a cap cut, and I really don't see anyone on our roster who has great starting potential.

I have us selecting a S.S. in round 2 cause I'd like to get a stud S.S. to put next to Hamlin for the next 5 years and because I didn't really see a better player at one of our other positions of need in round 2, no one really stood out at me at N.T./D.E./O-lineman that we couldn't wait till rounds 3-5 to select, so I figured why not select a top S.S. to pair with Hamlin to round out or secondary.

I don't think RW would get cut.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2387415 said:

There was talk about cutting him this year, but the cap hit woud of been to high, I think he's on his last leg, and my guess is he's got an 80% chance to get cut, even if he's not cut, which I'm pretty confident he will be cut, we need an upgrade from him anyway cause he hasn't been good in 4 years, regardless of him making the pro-bowl off his name only.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2387428 said:
There was talk about cutting him this year, but the cap hit woud of been to high, I think he's on his last leg, and my guess is he's got an 80% chance to get cut, even if he's not cut, which I'm pretty confident he will be cut, we need an upgrade from him anyway cause he hasn't been good in 4 years, regardless of him making the pro-bowl off his name only.

that's was just a myth about the cap hit.....

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2387478 said:
that's was just a myth about the cap hit.....

LOL Myth?
R U serious?
It was a fact, it would cost us like a 7 mil hit if we cut him and only cost us like 5 mil to keep him, or something along those lines, basically it was cheaper to keep him for one year, but this year he'll only count about a 3 mil hit if we cut him, and I can't see us keeping him the way he's played the last few years and us needing cap space to sign other players.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I like Vance Walker

so/so on Chung

think Raji is terribly overrated

I'm mmm on this draft

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2387496 said:
LOL Myth?
R U serious?
It was a fact, it would cost us like a 7 mil hit if we cut him and only cost us like 5 mil to keep him, or something along those lines, basically it was cheaper to keep him for one year, but this year he'll only count about a 3 mil hit if we cut him, and I can't see us keeping him the way he's played the last few years and us needing cap space to sign other players.

It wouldn't have cost us that much to cut him. Of course if we cut him this season it would have been cheaper than last season however to say the reason RW hasn't been cut yet because of his contract is bull.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2387519 said:
It wouldn't have cost us that much to cut him. Of course if we cut him this season it would have been cheaper than last season however to say the reason RW hasn't been cut yet because of his contract is bull.

Thing is, he's not producing for what we're paying him, and thus he'll be a cap hit next year, mark my words.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DaBoys4Life;2387415 said:
That is sure to be a big off season topic for discusson.

JMO, but Roy has played his last game as a Cowboy. I would expect a 2nd round pick like Chung to play at least as well as Roy starting out and better than Roy once he learns the NFL game.

The thing is, does JJ sign a FA to take Roys spot or do we go with a rook back there?

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2387665 said:

JMO, but Roy has played his last game as a Cowboy. I would expect a 2nd round pick like Chung to play at least as well as Roy starting out and better than Roy once he learns the NFL game.

The thing is, does JJ sign a FA to take Roys spot or do we go with a rook back there?

We can go with Keith davis who honestly I don't even know was starting, and that means he's not letting up any plays, which is a good thing, e can get by with Davis till Chung learns the ropes or beats him out in training camp, I mean, when we won the superbowl in 92', we had a 12th round pick Larry Brown and a rookie C.b. in Kevin Smith at both corner spots, and we got 2 rookies who played last week starting at C.B. and we looked really good, so it's not you can't win with rookies or that rookies can't come in and have an impact on your team, so just like you, I think we cut roy and draft a player like Chung, we can't afford ANY F/A's next year, we'll be lucky to be able to re-sign a few of our own, I mean, Tank Johnson, Canty, Kosier, Columbo, etc. are F/A's for us, and we'll be lucky to sign one, maybe 2 if we get creative cap wise, so I don't think we'll be adding any F/A pickups other then maybe a late June Vet cut who's willing to play for cheap who wants a ring ala Zach Thomas.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2387665 said:

IDK if a rookie can do the things we ask of RW

Thing is, he's not producing for what we're paying him, and thus he'll be a cap hit next year, mark my words.

same could be said for hamlin.....

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2387732 said:
IDK if a rookie can do the things we ask of RW

same could be said for hamlin.....

Well Hamlin is a lot better safety then RW, but I think a rookie top pick could play better then RW his rookie year, I mean, how well did Roy Williams play his rookie year?
How well is Scandrick playing his rookie year?
How well did Kevin Smith play C.B. his rookie year?
Rookies can play very well their rookie years, and I honestly believe Roys game is SO BAD at this point, I personally want him gone since everytime he's in the game, all I see week after week for the past 2-3 years is him letting up big pass play after big pass play with him looking clueless in the passing game and I'd gladly take a 2nd round prospect for the future over him right now since I feel his game has fallen off so bad it's to the point of no return and I personally love Roy, but I don't want him back on our team in 09'.