My meaningless thoughts on the game...

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
- I think I have to start with Brad Johnson, who is officially done with/stick a fork in him. If Dallas wants any real chance of winning against the G-Men, they need to start Bollinger which is a sad state of affairs, but we’re not going to beat the G-Men with a QB that can’t hit a 747 if it’s more than 10 yards away.

- The defense seemed to execute better as the playcalling didn’t seem any different to me.

- One thing that frustrates me about the defense is that they get confused quite often pre-snap. Too many times did I see the pass rushing OLB get out of position and not make much of an attempt at rushing the passer.

- Great to see the defense stiffen up though. In the past few games it seemed like every time a negative play would go against the defense, they would be bound to give up a TD in the next few plays.

- Something that made me a bit giddy….Roy Williams’ TD. I think Dallas, even with Romo, is not as good in the red zone as they should be. And I think one of the reasons is that they don’t have somebody that’s good at the jump fade route. Owens isn’t very good at it and is more of a stop fade receiver. Roy made it look easy and once Romo comes back, I like what the Cowboys can now do in the red zone.

- Jenkins still makes some rookie mistakes, but he seemed to have the light go off today.

- This entire team could take lessons from Orlando Scandrick on how to tackle.

- I’ll say it….I think right now that Ratliff is the team’s best defensive player…even better than Ware.

- His numbers were far from exotic, but I thought Barber showed signs of a true leader today.

- I thought this was a huge win today. I thought we needed at least 1 win before the bye week to have a decent shot to make the playoffs (I figure 10-6 gets you in). The team showed some real mettle today which may carry over to when Romo comes back. There’s been talk of Wade’s changes on defense not making much of a difference, but I remembered back in 2002 when the Giants offense was struggling badly under Sean Payton and Jim Fassel took over the playcalling and more notably “dumbed down” the offense and the G-Men’s offense took off. Hopefully the same can happen here.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2378097 said:
- I’ll say it….I think right now that Ratliff is the team’s best defensive player…even better than Ware.

You can say it as often as you want... but you'll be wrong every time you do.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Jenkins still makes some rookie mistakes, but he seemed to have the light go off today.

You mean lights came on--right? I thought he played his best game.....

Rat is really, really good, however, I know you did not REALLY mean this.....Ware was all over the place. Also, did you see where Gruden (who should know) say D-Ward was the best?

dre1614

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2378116 said:

Rat is really, really good, however, I know you did not REALLY mean this.....Ware was all over the place. Also, did you see where Gruden (who should know) say D-Ward was the best?

nice story Crazy.:D

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2378116 said:

Thanks for posting.

:D

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Rack;2378101 said:
You can say it as often as you want... but you'll be wrong every time you do.

I sorta agree with you here. But I think Yakuza's point is that Ratliff has really emerged this year... and has become one of the better players we have.

He emerged a lot last year.

And it looks like he took another step forward this year.

And with the contract he's on.... wow. We struck gold.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
In the fact that Ratliff has to take on much more responsibility in this defense than Ware does, I agree with Yakuza.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
- I think I have to start with Brad Johnson, who is officially done with/stick a fork in him. If Dallas wants any real chance of winning against the G-Men, they need to start Bollinger which is a sad state of affairs, but we’re not going to beat the G-Men with a QB that can’t hit a 747 if it’s more than 10 yards away.
If the 747 is traveling at 550mph, I might have problems hitting it too! Oh, you mean one sitting on the tarmac ;)
- The defense seemed to execute better as the playcalling didn’t seem any different to me.
I had to watch ((buffering)) version of it so it wasn't so clear to me, but I've heard others say that the blitzing schemes were a bit more exotic and the blitz timings were different (timing = more disguised)
- One thing that frustrates me about the defense is that they get confused quite often pre-snap. Too many times did I see the pass rushing OLB get out of position and not make much of an attempt at rushing the passer.
Again, I couldn't see much, but this might be relative to the earlier statement

- Jenkins still makes some rookie mistakes, but he seemed to have the light go off today.
I believe that 35 yard convert of 3rd and 2 on their final drive was on him. :(
- This entire team could take lessons from Orlando Scandrick on how to tackle.
I love this kid. If you ask me, he was our best pick based on ratio of value vs where he was picked in the draft.
I'm not going to touch that subject, but I will say this. Ratliff by far has the best motor on the team.
- His numbers were far from exotic, but I thought Barber showed signs of a true leader today.
I think he has always been a leader, he just does it with intensity rather than being vocal.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Vintage;2378159 said:
I sorta agree with you here. But I think Yakuza's point is that Ratliff has really emerged this year... and has become one of the better players we have.

He emerged a lot last year.

And it looks like he took another step forward this year.

And with the contract he's on.... wow. We struck gold.

Oh I agree. No doubt Ratliff is 2nd best. I said during his rookie year he'd be a good one. But no way in hell is he better than Ware.

InmanRoshi;2378164 said:
In the fact that Ratliff has to take on much more responsibility in this defense than Ware does, I agree with Yakuza.

Then you're wrong as well.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I believe that 35 yard convert of 3rd and 2 on their final drive was on him.

No, it wasn't. He was 15 yards off the ball (not his call). All Clayton had to do was run an 8-yard post and he was wide open. That play was on whoever called the soft coverage.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2378164 said:

Huh? When does a nose tackle take on more responsibility than a linebacker who rushes the QB, guards against the run, and covers the pass?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2378214 said:
Huh? When does a nose tackle take on more responsibility than a linebacker who rushes the QB, guards against the run, and covers the pass?

Because the NG has to anchor the entire interior line at the point of attack. If the noseguard doesn't do his job in the 3-4, the entire front 7 craters. Jay Ratliff does the dirty work of a Wilfork or Jamal Williams against the run, and then he's the Cowboys best interior pass rusher on top of that.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2378219 said:
Because he has to anchor the entire interior line. If the noseguard doesn't do his job in the 3-4, the entire front 7 craters.

:lmao2:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2378219 said:
Because he has to anchor the entire interior line. If the noseguard doesn't do his job in the 3-4, the entire front 7 craters.

Well, then I guess it's just a misunderstanding of terminology. To me, that's not more responsibility. It's just his position is more important in the grand scheme of things.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
On the Fox pregame, Strahan and Long voted Ware as the best defensive player in the NFL. I think saying Rat is the best player on the D is a bit over the top.