My meaningless thoughts on the game...

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
- Watch out for possibly a much better screen passing game this year. Every year I always take a look at the best screen passing teams because in today’s NFL teams blitz so much and with many of the RB’s being great in space, the screen play can be extremely effective in helping the team…and usually about 3-5 of the playoff teams are great at throwing the screen.

Not only does the O-Line look more mobile which should help out with the screen, but so should the 2 TE set. In the screen play we threw to Julius, the formation was originally Fasano at the F-back spot, with Hurd and Glenn lined up out wide to the left. Fasano was then sent in motion out wide like a receiver. He was then picked up by McKenzie. Dallas threw the screen towards Fasano’s way and now had a major advantage in a TE like Fasano blocking against a CB in McKenzie. Parcells started to open up a bit more of the 2 TE set early on, but after that they pretty much kept it vanilla.

- I don’t see the complaints about the running game. They were able to run the ball when they needed to and gained 119 yards on the ground. They weren’t exactly the Denver Broncos, but I didn’t see it as a bad performance either. Should be noted that they had 32 yards on 5 carries when Flozell was in there.

- From what I saw, Fabini probably looked the best out of the O-Linemen out there. Seriously.

- I can see why Parcells likes McQuistan. He needs to get a bit more lower body strength, but the kid can play a bit in general. He’s at the point where he’ll make a series of good blocks, but then just completely screw up. Also, we’ll have to wait and see how he reacts to the different defenses and stunting, etc.

- The TE’s blocked better than they did last year, but Fasano is still inconsistent. Fasano would have a couple of good blocks and then make an error or get beat.

- I thought Ware was the best looking player on defense. He still played a lot of coverage as Payton went to a lot of 3 WR sets, but in general he was excellent. Most will remember him bullying Jammal Brown on the play that Ellis should have intercepted, but he did it again on Bush’s first running play not allowing Bush to the outside and then getting swallowed up.

- While he’s very fast, I don’t think Bush’s speed is going to be what separates him from the league. His cutting ability is pretty phenomenal. However, I think he’s the type of back that once a defender gets his hands on him, he’s very likely to go down.

YAKUZA

burmafrd

Reaction score
I don't know what game you were watching, but the run blocking was mostly putrid. Especially after Flo left. Lots of leakage, no sealing. Our backs were facing defenders in the backfield WAY too often.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I love these posts Rich. I totally agree on Ware. As I've been saying since last night, he had bad intentions on that dropped screen to Deuce. That man was in the crosshairs of a whipping.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
I don't know what game you were watching, but the run blocking was mostly putrid. Especially after Flo left. Lots of leakage, no sealing. Our backs were facing defenders in the backfield WAY too often.
Putrid is a bit harsh. When Flo was in there we were quite effective.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
burmafrd said:

It wasn't mostly putrid. Just inconsistent. Problem wasn't just the O-Line, Hurd's blocking is pretty weak at this moment and there were two plays that if he got his guy, it would've made for a nice gain. Fasano also showed some good/great blocks, but would make some crucial mistakes as well.

I thought in general, everybody seemed to do a decent job, but there were too many mistakes which killed the ypc. Proctor did not play well from what I saw.

I think if the consistency gets better and if Owens returns healthy, the ypc should get better.

YAKUZA

NOVA 22

Reaction score
Good post. interested to hear more of your thoughts on fabini.
his play hasn't really generated a lot of talk..good or bad this morning.
and yes, reggie bush is ridiculous.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
NOVA 22 said:
Good post. interested to hear more of your thoughts on fabini.
his play hasn't really generated a lot of talk..good or bad this morning.
and yes, reggie bush is ridiculous.

I watched the game, then briefly re-watched the first half with more focus. I'll chart the game over the next could of days and get a better idea of how Fabini did.

YAKUZA

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd said:

Gee, the run blocking gets worse after your best o-lineman leaves the field?

Gosh who would have thought that would happen? :rolleyes:

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Did anyone get a good look at Canty? I have the game taped, but haven't been able to rewatch it yet.

wileedog

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Gee, the run blocking gets worse after your best o-lineman leaves the field?

Gosh who would have thought that would happen? :rolleyes:

I'll start worrying about the O-line after Bill settles on his 5 starters and they have played together for a couple of weeks. Right now he is still in mix-n-match mode, which obviously is going to lead to inconsistencies.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
burmafrd said:

I agree, I'm not sure what one could be looking at and say it was fine...it was awful...just downright awful...we had a handful of decent runs, but we still had way too many no gains and losses...and one 6 or 7 yd loss on a run play was wiped out by a Saints penalty

David

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967 said:
I agree, I'm not sure what one could be looking at and say it was fine...it was awful...just downright awful...we had a handful of decent runs, but we still had way too many no gains and losses...and one 6 or 7 yd loss on a run play was wiped out by a Saints penalty

David

David-- let's see the 5 best guys out there with TO on the field and see how they perform then. Until our best players are out there I'm not overly concerned.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
It wasn't mostly putrid. Just inconsistent. Problem wasn't just the O-Line,

YAKUZA

58 first half rushing yds on 22 carries according to Spags on the wesbite...less than 3.0 yds per carry is dreadful, Flo or no Flo

I dont think its solely the OL, but its most of it...some of it is scheme and I think some of it is Sporano being a mediocre OL coach

the bottom line is these guys just are poor run blockers...it was bad in 2003, it was bad for msot of 2004, it was bad last yr, it was bad last week and it was bad last night

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
David-- let's see the 5 best guys out there with TO on the field and see how they perform then. Until our best players are out there I'm not overly concerned.

you cant count on having your best players for every play of every game during the season...they were minus TO and minus Flo, otherwise everyone was present and accounted for

I'm not looking for the high bridge to dive off right now, but there is reason for concern because they've been bad at running the ball since Parcells got here, save 7 games by JuJo his rookie yr

David

Smith22

Reaction score
The running game was clicking when Flo was in, soon as he went out it went downhill. Watch it again if you think otherwise.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Couple questions in case anyone knows: did Petitti play? I know McQuistan came in at LT which surprised me. How did Columbo do? He was supposed to be the leading candidate for the starting job at RT going into the game- did he help or hurt his chances?

Smith22

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
Couple questions in case anyone knows: did Petitti play? I know McQuistan came in at LT which surprised me. How did Columbo do? He was supposed to be the leading candidate for the starting job at RT going into the game- did he help or hurt his chances?

Rob played LT in the 2nd half at least some for sure, I haven't watched the 2nd half again yet.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Aikmaniac said:
Did anyone get a good look at Canty? I have the game taped, but haven't been able to rewatch it yet.

He didnt' seem to do much, but Spears looked very good. Forgot to mention that.

Rich......

wileedog

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
you cant count on having your best players for every play of every game during the season...they were minus TO and minus Flo, otherwise everyone was present and accounted for

McQ got a lot of PT last night, I don't think he will ever see that much during the season. I'm sure he won't be the first option off the bench if disaster strikes and Flo goes down again for an extended period.

Plus I'm not sure Fabini will be the starter week 1 at RT.

Parcells I think will pick his starting 5 this week and let them play together the rest of the pre-season. Continuity is important for an O-line, and we haven't had any since TC started with all the evaluation switching.

I'm not saying I'm not concerned, but I think its early to get too worked up or make a panic trade.