My meaningless thoughts on the game...

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
Couple questions in case anyone knows: did Petitti play? I know McQuistan came in at LT which surprised me. How did Columbo do? He was supposed to be the leading candidate for the starting job at RT going into the game- did he help or hurt his chances?

Petitti played, but not until the second half which I didn't get to re-watch. I think Columbo was in the same boat as they started Fabini.

I think Parcells just wanted to get a look at Fabini. I thought Fabini played pretty well, but given his age I still think Columbo is in the driver's seat at RT for now.

YAKUZA

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967 said:
you cant count on having your best players for every play of every game during the season...they were minus TO and minus Flo, otherwise everyone was present and accounted for

I'm not looking for the high bridge to dive off right now, but there is reason for concern because they've been bad at running the ball since Parcells got here, save 7 games by JuJo his rookie yr

David

But David as Rich has pointed out a number of time Parcells' coached teams are UGLY running the ball. They don't even average 4ypc.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
58 first half rushing yds on 22 carries according to Spags on the wesbite...less than 3.0 yds per carry is dreadful, Flo or no Flo

I dont think its solely the OL, but its most of it...some of it is scheme and I think some of it is Sporano being a mediocre OL coach
David

Most of it was inconsistent blocking and a lot of that came from McQuistan. Gurode did decent, but he had one terribly attempt at a block. Fasano threw in some nice blocks, then would screw up on a few and Hurd's blocking needs a lot of work.

YAKUZA

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wish they would've shown the replay of the incomplete pass to Witten in the endzone. Wanted to see if it was dropped or just a forced pass.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Thanks Smith and Rich. Feel free to add to your comments on the line play after you review the 2nd half.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Aikmaniac said:
I wish they would've shown the replay of the incomplete pass to Witten in the endzone. Wanted to see if it was dropped or just a forced pass.

I actually replayed that one in slo mo and it looked like Witten had to jump for it but he had both hands on the ball and couldn't hold it.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Aikmaniac said:

It looked like it hit Witten's hands, but it's tough to tell if the defender got a hand on it as well. It wasn't a forced pass by Bledsoe, he made the right decision, just didn't result in a TD.

Rich.......

CowboyChris

Reaction score
i missed last nights game, but with all the OL talk, noone mentioned how our prized free agent OL Kosier did, how did he do?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CowboyChris said:
i missed last nights game, but with all the OL talk, noone mentioned how our prized free agent OL Kosier did, how did he do?

average at best

David

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
He was pretty average. I only saw one really poor blocking play and that was in pass protection, but Bledsoe got the ball off in time. I think he had two good run blocks, but the rest was pretty average stuff.

YAKUZA

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yakuza Rich said:
It looked like it hit Witten's hands, but it's tough to tell if the defender got a hand on it as well. It wasn't a forced pass by Bledsoe, he made the right decision, just didn't result in a TD.

Rich.......

It appeared that Bledsoe threw it the only place he could, otherwise the defender in front of Witten would've taken it for 6 the other way. He really zipped it in there too. That's why I wish there was a replay of it. Thanks.

dwmyers

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
58 first half rushing yds on 22 carries according to Spags on the wesbite...less than 3.0 yds per carry is dreadful, Flo or no Flo

I know Winicki quoted Rich on this point, but I've been pointing this out since Parcells arrived (and I have the posts on alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys to prove it..):

Parcells doesn't care about ypc. He cares about negative yardage plays, he cares about fumbles, he cares very much about time of possession. If what you want is a Tom Landry-esque 4.0+ ypc, you won't get it from Bill.

However, what was our TOP in the first quarter? Over 11 minutes? How many yards did the opposing team make in their first three series? I think it was 17 yards.

Simply put, if the defense is massed to stop the run, there are many times Bill will run anyway. He doesn't care. The short run uses up more time than a badly missed audible pass. And if he gets the first down on the forthcoming pass play, it's all good.

David.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dwmyers said:
I know Winicki quoted Rich on this point, but I've been pointing this out since Parcells arrived (and I have the posts on alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys to prove it..):

Parcells doesn't care about ypc. He cares about negative yardage plays, he cares about fumbles, he cares very much about time of possession. If what you want is a Tom Landry-esque 4.0+ ypc, you won't get it from Bill.

However, what was our TOP in the first quarter? Over 11 minutes? How many yards did the opposing team make in their first three series? I think it was 17 yards.

Simply put, if the defense is massed to stop the run, there are many times Bill will run anyway. He doesn't care. The short run uses up more time than a badly missed audible pass. And if he gets the first down on the forthcoming pass play, it's all good.

David.

I apologize David for shortchanging you on the credit for this...

burmafrd

Reaction score
BP needs to pick his starting 5 and get them working together NOW if he wants any kind of a decent running attack.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd said:
BP needs to pick his starting 5 and get them working together NOW if he wants any kind of a decent running attack.

Parcells doesn't seem to be as concerned about the running game as many on this board are...

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Agree about Ware. All the media hyperventilates over Merriman, but in his dreams Merriman wouldn't make a tackle on Bush in space the way Ware did last night.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Agree about Ware. All the media hyperventilates over Merriman, but in his dreams Merriman wouldn't make a tackle on Bush in space the way Ware did last night.

It's one of the reasons why I like the 3-4. Not only are you getting bigger players weight wise, but also taller players with longer arms and more strength. Ware was able to reach out with his left arm and pull Bush down. I really believe that in most Cover 2's or schemes that revolve around speed more than size, Bush breaks free because while those schemes may have faster LB's, they certainly are not quick enough to keep up with Bush 9 times out of 10.

YAKUZA