My Mock Draft Rds 1 thru. 4

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Feel free to criticize and ridicule.
p1_spears_ap.jpg

11th pick – Marcus Spears.
Last years red herring was Steven Jackson. This year its Shawne Merriman. Great athlete, great work-out warrior but is he really the best football player. Eramus James and Spears are much better football players. Marcus Spears is about 20 lbs heavier(300 plus lbs), just as agile and was recruited as a top TE coming out of college. Marcus Spears has a nose for the football (folks he was a top TE in high school), makes big plays and every time there’s a lose ball Spears seems to scoring a defensive TD. Parcells gets this years Kevin Williams. A big, agile and high character player. He is also versatile (played offense and defense in college). Parcells has visions of the next Richard Seymour.
I think Jerry Jones (after watching Kevin Williams and Dwayne Robertson) will do anything to make sure Parcells gets his guy this time…… Marcus Spears, thus his reluctance to part with Draft picks this year.

sp-football-st.gif

20th or higher – Heath Miller Possibly use the 2nd Rd. 42nd Overall Pick to move up
If Parcells is ever given a dose of sodium pentothal and asked which position he likes the most I believe it will be TE even though he played LB in College and is a defensive coach. The list is long Bravaro, Cross , Zeke, Mrosko, Ben Coates, Keith Byars (HB/TE), Kyle Brady, Fred Baxter etc. Not all great players, but guys who were exceptional TE/HB who were above average blockers and cause match-up problems in the passing game.
Witten, Campbell and Robinson are a solid group. The addition of Miller could possibly make it dominant. A 4th TE will cut ino the WR numbers, but Parcells has traditionally only used 4 WR. Usually the 4th and 5th WR are also exceptional Special team contributors. The addition of Miller could also strengthen the running game. Parcells loves using the 2 or 3 TE set throughout his coaching career. Miller could serve as a 3rd TE/ 5th WR early ion his career. The Al Groh connection makes this a possible pick for the Cowboys. Don’t be surprised if the Cowboys move up to get Heath Miller.

osu419.jpg

42nd or lower 2nd Rd (swap after trading up to get Heath Miller) – Maurice Clarett

In my opinion he was the best player on the field when the Buckeyes won the National title against a Hurricane team that produced a million defensive starters in the NFL. He chased down Sean freakin Taylor and stripped the ball on a key Buckeye Red zone INT. I don’t think the Cowboys are in the business of drafting priests. Character issues got us Ellis instead of Hall of fame bound Moss. Ironically I don’t see any fans whining about character when guys like Leonardo Carson can beat their significant other etc. It comes to opinion.
Clarett would be a great back-up RB if he lives up to his potential. He could even be better than Julius Jones as a inside the tackle runner. Clarett is a punishing RB after the run. He takes on defenders and finishes runs with attitude. I think he’ll be a Corey Dillon type RB. All the “character” fanatics didn’t want to touch Corey Dillon. Remember just my opinion.

3rd pick – Drew Henson.

Already ahead of schedule. A 2005 draft pick with a year and 2 offseasons of experience in Parcells system under his belt. Hopefully he develops. He looked even better than Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers during his underwear Olympics/ pass against the wind work-out last off-season..

4th RD pick – Alvin Pearman.

A jack of all trades. RB/WR/Special teams ace. Aka “Troy Brown 2005”. Another AL Groh connection. Parcells is a creature of habit always goes back to the same drinking well. Richie Andersons replacement.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we take Heath Miller in the first round...I may have to ban you....just joking, or am I.

For the record NO HEATH MILLER IN THE FIRST ROUND.

Carry on. :cool:

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
If we take Heath Miller in the first round...I may have to ban you....just joking, or am I.

For the record NO HEATH MILLER IN THE FIRST ROUND.

Carry on. :cool:
No you wouldn't because I won't gloat. It would just be an educated guess. ;)

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Charles said:
No you wouldn't because I won't gloat. It would just be an educated guess. ;)

I would not be shocked if we took a TE with what Bill has said in the past....however I would be shocked if we did so in the first round.

I think we may look at taking one on the second day but probably more of the mold of a blocking TE that could be in the mold of Campbell.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I would not be shocked if we took a TE with what Bill has said in the past....however I would be shocked if we did so in the first round.

I think we may look at taking one on the second day but probably more of the mold of a blocking TE that could be in the mold of Campbell.
Most fans don't think the Cowboys will draft a TE because we have Witten and Campbell. Campbell isn't getting any younger. He is playing a very physical position and older players tend to get injured. If Miller is the best player available I doubt Parcells will pass because of Campbells presence.

I think he'd rather take the best overall TE in the draft than say the 4th or 5th WRs like Troy Williamson or Roddy White just because they need youth and speed. Miller will help out in more roles than either WR and has the potential to be a match-up nightmare like Witten who played HB/TE/WR and special teams.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Charles said:
Most fans don't think the Cowboys will draft a TE because we have Witten and Campbell. Campbell isn't getting any younger. He is playing a very physical position and older players tend to get injured. If Miller is the best player available I doubt Parcells will pass because of Campbells presence.

I think he'd rather take the best overall TE in the draft than say the 4th or 5th WRs like Troy Williamson or Roddy White just because they need youth and speed. Miller will help out in more roles than either WR and has the potential to be a match-up nightmare like Witten who played HB/TE/WR and special teams.
We have too many holes to draft a player whos likely to be a back up in the 1st. The 5th WR is a better fit for us than the 1st TE. But more than that, we will likely take at least one LB in the first round.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Maurice Clarrett?
42nd pick?
Are you kidding me?
Dude, what are you smoking?
Can I have some?

You completely lost me after Spears.

Clarrett would be around long after that pick so why on Earth would we waste it on him?
Furthermore, I wouldn't give up an old pair of socks for that clown.

Finally, one of the ONLY spots on this team that has a clear cut ProBowl starter and high quality backup already is TE. Miller in the first round would be almost as big of waste as say... oh, I don't know... drafting Maurice Clarrett in the 2nd round.

-you said, "feel free to ridicule and criticise."

playit12

Reaction score
Charles said:

Miller isn't a blocking force like Campbell. He is more of a pass catching vertical threat, so he'd be backing up Witten. I just don't see drafting into your strengths in the first round. Besides i think #20 is a little high for Miller. I'd rather see us grab a DT, LB, or RT. We can get good value at that spot in what is a much bigger need area. Then FS or WR in the second.

playit12

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Maurice Clarrett?
42nd pick?
Are you kidding me?
Can I have some?

Clarrett would be around long after that pick so why on Earth would we waste it on him?

Finally, one of the ONLY spots on this team that has a clear cut ProBowl starter and high quality backup already is TE. Miller in the first round would be almost as big of waste as say... oh, I don't know... drafting Maurice Clarrett in the 2nd round.

I'll just go ahead and say that I agree with everything he just said.

I swear every new Mock that goes up is more ridiculous than the next.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Derinyar said:
We have too many holes to draft a player whos likely to be a back up in the 1st. The 5th WR is a better fit for us than the 1st TE. But more than that, we will likely take at least one LB in the first round.
What gurrantees do you have that any other player selected will be a starter. None what so ever. Was Ben Watson considered a back-up to Danile Graham. Did the Eagles NOT select any DBs because they would be back-ups in their 1st season with Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor starting.
Did the Rams pass on Steven Jackson because he wouldn't be starting his 1st year behind Faulk. Vince Woolfork was drafted but didn't start because of Keith Traylor. The Panthers took Deshaun Foster in the 2nd RD after giving Stephen Davis a fat contract. The Saints drafted Will Smith even though Darren Howard has atleast 4 to 5 seasons left.

I could go on and on. You always draft the best player regardless of need (Qb being the exception if you have a stud). Good players always find a way to get on the field and contribute.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Charles said:
What gurrantees do you have that any other player selected will be a starter. None what so ever. Was Ben Watson considered a back-up to Danile Graham. Did the Eagles NOT select any DBs because they would be back-ups in their 1st season with Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor starting.
Did the Rams pass on Steven Jackson because he wouldn't be starting his 1st year behind Faulk. Vince Woolfork was drafted but didn't start because of Keith Traylor. The Panthers took Deshaun Foster in the 2nd RD after giving Stephen Davis a fat contract. The Saints drafted Will Smith even though Darren Howard has atleast 4 to 5 seasons left.

I could go on and on. You always draft the best player regardless of need (Qb being the exception if you have a stud). Good players always find a way to get on the field and contribute.

I know everyone thinks you are crazy for the Heath Miller talk. One thing to hang you hat on is that he is dropping like a rock because he cannot work out since he has a sports hernia.

He might even make it to the late first round or even early second because of it.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Maurice Clarrett?
42nd pick?
Are you kidding me?
Can I have some?

Thats your opinion. I don't think Clarett at the 42nd is a wasted pick. I think he has more upside than every RB in this draft IMHO.

What makes you think any other player is a lock. Gurode was a lock, Julius Jones looked like a bust in the making early in 2004 season. SO called "experts" and fans thought passing on Steven Jackson was bad move.

Quite frankly you are about a clueless as everyone else. I just have the balls to lay my opinion on line ;). Either way nobody really knows.
Qwickdraw said:

-you said, "feel free to ridicule and criticise."
The Eagles also had 3 Pro Bowl caliber players in the secondary in,2000 2001 and 2002 but it didn't stop the Eagles from drafting 3 DBs.

It goes both ways bro. I could find just as many teams that draft the best player available regardless of who is on the roster. I bet you most of those teams are the cream of the crop. Yes they don't have as many holes to fill but why should we settle for a lesser player to fill a hole. I'd rather have a secondary or unit full of Pro Bowl caliber players than have a selected player for need who turns out to be average see tghe Cowboys 1995-2002 draft philosophy.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Heath Miller is a good player and even though having two TE's to run Parcells dink and dunk offense would be nice, there's a lot of fish to fry on this team and Witten and Campbell are adequate.

Clarett won't go at #42 or in the first day my opinion. No football for two years, poor attitude at the combine, won't happen. Lots of players have talent in the league. I'll take one that doesn't have the baggage.

btcutter

Reaction score
Mauice in the 2nd???????? :eek:

Most scout won't even rate him for the draft because of the antics he pulled at the combine. I really don't care if you got all the talent in the world if you head isn't screwed on right, you are finished in football and life (please look at Ricky Williams). You think anyone is going to give up a 2nd rounder for Ricky now????

I really hope our draft doesn't look like this. It's sad :banghead:

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
btcutter said:
Mauice in the 2nd???????? :eek:

Most scout won't even rate him for the draft because of the antics he pulled at the combine. I really don't care if you got all the talent in the world if you head isn't screwed on right, you are finished in football and life (please look at Ricky Williams). You think anyone is going to give up a 2nd rounder for Ricky now????

I really hope our draft doesn't look like this. It's sad :banghead:
I won't be surprised if most scouts don't rate Clarett.

Its naive to think they don'tm have an axe to grind. Clarett suing the NFL to allow players into the NFL doesn't bond well with the scouts who are making a living off the NFL minor league ooops I mean Collegiate football.

What the scouts can't ignore is Claretts productivity and playmaking ability on the field at Ohio State. Drew Henson gets more run/praise based on limited playing time in college even though his impact on the Wolverines doesn't even come close to Claretts presence for the Buckeyes. We all know Drew Henson was getting better at playing QB learning how to hit a curve ball and field ground balls. His upside like Clarett's should dictate where he goes, not his combine or attitude.

btcutter

Reaction score
Charles said:
I won't be surprised if most scouts don't rate Clarett.

Its naive to think they don'tm have an axe to grind. Clarett suing the NFL to allow players into the NFL doesn't bond well with the scouts who are making a living off the NFL minor league ooops I mean Collegiate football.

What the scouts can't ignore is Claretts productivity and playmaking ability on the field at Ohio State. Drew Henson gets more run/praise based on limited playing time in college even though his impact on the Wolverines doesn't even come close to Claretts presence for the Buckeyes. We all know Drew Henson was getting better at playing QB learning how to hit a curve ball and field ground balls. His upside like Clarett's should dictate where he goes, not his combine or attitude.

I do not agree that his upside should dictate where he is drafted. It doesn't matter if he's got talent if he can't stay on the field because of his attitude or off field issues. Let me ask you again, would you give up 42nd pick for Ricky William? Probably not, at least I hope not. I don't think you find any knowledgable person willing to give that up for him now. You don't chance that with your 2nd pick when the team has so many needs. Swinging for the fenses with you picks is what got the Cowboys in trouble in the 80s when they drafted players like Rod Hill in the 1st when everyone else rated him a 3rd or 4th round talent.

Your first three rounds really should be as close to sure thing as possible so you can built your team. Sure it's unavoidable to have busts but let's leave the speculations for the 2nd day.

Henson isn't a headcase and he's willing to work. Clarett quits at first signs of adversity. BTW, if you haven't noticed..RB's are on sale. You can pick up Edge or Alexander maybe for 2nd rounder. QB position is an entirely different animal. Franchises struggle for a decade to find one. "you can't dial 1800-Quarterback". Why do you think every yr QB gets top billing in the draft although everyone knows there are higher rated players.

Arcanius64

Reaction score
If they werent willing to keep Antonio Bryant (who btw has alot of talent), what makes you think they gonna go after another head case (or controversial figure) in Clarett?

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
btcutter said:
I do not agree that his upside should dictate where he is drafted. It doesn't matter if he's got talent if he can't stay on the field because of his attitude or off field issues. Let me ask you again, would you give up 42nd pick for Ricky William? Probably not, at least I hope not. I don't think you find any knowledgable person willing to give that up for him now. You don't chance that with your 2nd pick when the team has so many needs.
Exactly what attitude problem kept Clarett off the field at Ohio? Clarett was the scape goat at Ohio. The only crime he commited was being dumb enough to overvalue items stolen from his car. A car that was provided by a known local car dealer who has been providing luxury cars and SUVs for Buckeyes for many years. It lead to an investigation that opened up can of worms at Ohio State. So far the Athletic president has been forced out, the coach is lookin gover his shoulder and the Buckeyes program is under investigation for false grades and gifts to players. Typical in most successful athletic programs.

I'd give up our 42nd if Ricky Williams wants to play football again. I'd rather have Julius Jones and Ricky than Julius and Bickerstaff or Reshard Lee (training camp heroes). Ricky has proven he can play.Any knowledgable person knows that Ricky instantly becomes the best RB on our roster if he becomes a Cowboy. That what matters to me. I could care less about "Character guys" seem to dissapear when it matters the most. You can take character, I'll take Randy Moss mooning the fans after scoring the TD in play-off game.

Its somewhat hypocritical of a Cowboy fan to preach character when our 90's roster spent as much time on the police/court depth chart. :confused:
btcutter said:
Swinging for the fenses with you picks is what got the Cowboys in trouble in the 80s when they drafted players like Rod Hill in the 1st when everyone else rated him a 3rd or 4th round talent

Yep and we all know the Cowboys in the 80s swung themselves right out of the play-offs. :rolleyes:

Tom Landry really stunk it up in the 80s sarcasm/off

btcutter said:
Your first three rounds really should be as close to sure thing as possible so you can built your team. Sure it's unavoidable to have busts but let's leave the speculations for the 2nd day.
I bet the scouts thought Leaf, Smith, Enis, Couch were sure picks. They also thought Tom Brady and Terell Owens weren't 1st day picks.

I think your point is dubious. History has shown that there aren't any sure picks. Players have to prove they have what it takes. Just my opinion that Clarett is as good as Ronnie Brown. I am not an expert.
btcutter said:
Henson isn't a headcase and he's willing to work. Clarett quits at first signs of adversity. BTW, if you haven't noticed..RB's are on sale. You can pick up Edge or Alexander maybe for 2nd rounder. QB position is an entirely different animal. Franchises struggle for a decade to find one. "you can't dial 1800-Quarterback". Why do you think every yr QB gets top billing in the draft although everyone knows there are higher rated players.
If Clarett wasn't willing to work why did he show up at the combine. He got frustrated and left. I know it was a very poor decision, but he felt he couldn't help himself in the draft by continuing. He has organized a personal work-out in Ohio. Is that a sign of a player quiting??? Did he quit when Sean Taylor interecepted Krentzel pass in the end zone during the championship game or did he out run WRs and opposing DBs to strip Taylor of the ball. Isn't that the "No quit" attitude we want. I want a guy who can play football, not a guy who can make small talk with kids at training camp.

btcutter

Reaction score
Charles said:
Exactly what attitude problem kept Clarett off the field at Ohio? Clarett was the scape goat at Ohio. The only crime he commited was being dumb enough to overvalue items stolen from his car. A car that was provided by a known local car dealer who has been providing luxury cars and SUVs for Buckeyes for many years. It lead to an investigation that opened up can of worms at Ohio State. So far the Athletic president has been forced out, the coach is lookin gover his shoulder and the Buckeyes program is under investigation for false grades and gifts to players. Typical in most successful athletic programs.

I'd give up our 42nd if Ricky Williams wants to play football again. I'd rather have Julius Jones and Ricky than Julius and Bickerstaff or Reshard Lee (training camp heroes). Ricky has proven he can play.Any knowledgable person knows that Ricky instantly becomes the best RB on our roster if he becomes a Cowboy. That what matters to me. I could care less about "Character guys" seem to dissapear when it matters the most. You can take character, I'll take Randy Moss mooning the fans after scoring the TD in play-off game.

Its somewhat hypocritical of a Cowboy fan to preach character when our 90's roster spent as much time on the police/court depth chart. :confused:

Yep and we all know the Cowboys in the 80s swung themselves right out of the play-offs. :rolleyes:

Tom Landry really stunk it up in the 80s sarcasm/off

I bet the scouts thought Leaf, Smith, Enis, Couch were sure picks. They also thought Tom Brady and Terell Owens weren't 1st day picks.

I think your point is dubious. History has shown that there aren't any sure picks. Players have to prove they have what it takes. Just my opinion that Clarett is as good as Ronnie Brown. I am not an expert.
If Clarett wasn't willing to work why did he show up at the combine. He got frustrated and left. I know it was a very poor decision, but he felt he couldn't help himself in the draft by continuing. He has organized a personal work-out in Ohio. Is that a sign of a player quiting??? Did he quit when Sean Taylor interecepted Krentzel pass in the end zone during the championship game or did he out run WRs and opposing DBs to strip Taylor of the ball. Isn't that the "No quit" attitude we want. I want a guy who can play football, not a guy who can make small talk with kids at training camp.

Ricky Williams is 30 lb under his playing wt and has not indicated he wants to play football. He's teamates won't take him back! How do yo go to war with someone that you can't trust? I doubt he starts in Big D. Sure in his prime he'll beat out JJ but certainly not now.

I like to see how many on this board agrees with trading our 2nd for Ricky William or 2nd for Clarett (he probably can be had for a 7th)

Clarett as good as Brown? You can't be serious!

I am just glad you are not running our draft.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
btcutter said:
Ricky Williams is 30 lb under his playing wt and has not indicated he wants to play football.
Atleast he's not fat and out of shape.

I never stated he wants to play football again, you brought it up, but if he does want to play again, I'd trade our 42nd pick. He's a proven stud in the NFL. Nothing in the whole wide world can gurrantee the same production from a collegiate player.
btcutter said:
He's teamates won't take him back! How do yo go to war with someone that you can't trust?
How do you know they won't take him back. I bet his teammates would rather block for Ricky than Sammy Morris, Travis Mimor or which character :D guy you can find on the RB depth chart. The only thing Ricky would have to do is show up at camp and all will be forgiven.

Why has Nick Saban been trying to contact Ricky since he got the Dolphins gig. Because Ricky has VALUE in the NFL.
btcutter said:
I doubt he starts in Big D. Sure in his prime he'll beat out JJ but certainly not now.
My money would be on Ricky to start. He'd be going into his 6th year and he's only 28. Ricky has done and proven things in the NFL that Julius Jones hasn't even dreamed off.
btcutter said:
I like to see how many on this board agrees with trading our 2nd for Ricky William or 2nd for Clarett (he probably can be had for a 7th)

Clarett as good as Brown? You can't be serious!

I am just glad you are not running our draft.
I'd also like to see how many thought Gurode was a safe pick.

Yes, I believe Clarett is as good as Ronnie Brown. I am serious.