My New Free Agent Agenda

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
QB - We have Romo, but who else? Bledsoe is will be gone and Baker isn't what I am thinking of as our solution at backup QB

RB - We have JJ, MB3, and even Thompson.....I can see us looking at the draft for another RB...but not in FA...even though Michael Turner is a very intriguing nugget

FB - Hoyte came on at the end, but I am still not overly happy with our FB situation. That being said, unless Lorenzo Neal becomes miraculously available I don't see us going that route.

WR - I am not on the same page with everyone who says we need more WRs. I like what we have in TO, Glenn, Crayton, and Hurd. I would like to get Austin and Rector more reps to see what they have to offer. I wouldn't mind drafting a WR on the second day...but I definitely do not want to sign on as a FA.

OG - we need help here in the worst way. Rivera blows and Kosier is ok, but not dominant. He had a nice first year as a starter though. I know we paid a lot for Kosier, but I say use him as our primary backup at OG and move Flozell to LG. We would still need a RG via FA

OT - Colombo was a pleasant surprise. Adams bugs the heck out of me...all that potential and yet he does little with it. By moving Flozell to LG, we would need a LT in FA.

C - Gurode has done a fine job, but I would like to get a quality backup and Johnson isn't it.

DT - How much can Fergy take and how long can he hold up. He has been very solid for us since his arrival....but he needs help.

DE - This groups is definitely underachieving. Hatcher seemed to be coming into his own, until he got hurt. Bowen was a pleasant surprise at the end of the year. However, Canty, Spears, and Ratliff left a lot to be desired. I would like to address this position in FA.

ILB - This group underchieved for us this year. I do not want to sign a FA ILB however. I would prefer to move Carpenter inside next to Ayodele and put James on the bench. Then use the draft to get Zac DeOssie as our 4th ILB

OLB - Once we lost Ellis, our pass rush suffered mightily, as did our run defense. I dont see Ellis coming back. So I would like to address this position in FA and the draft

CB - Our top 3 are ok.....I am not pleased with Reeves at all. Jones is doing an ok job, but I would like to drop Both and get some new CBs in the draft. If we do indeed move Henry to FS, then we can keep Jones...Either way, I want Reeves gone.....and I don't want to add to this group via FA...save it for the draft

S - I like what we have in Roy, Watkins, Elam, and possibly Henry. I think we are ok at the S position. I don't see any additions via FA or the Draft....I do want to see Davis gone.

So I would like to sign the following FAs heading into the draft

QB - Tim Rattay
RG - Eric Steinbach or Kris Dielman
LT - Tony Pashos or Jordan Black
DT - Terdell Sands
DE - Cory Redding
OLB - Tully Banta-Cain

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
i'd love turner. he's jj and barber rolled into 1 back. didnt dallas choose jj over turner? that was smart

or did he come out the following yr?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
LatinMind;1317017 said:
i'd love turner. he's jj and barber rolled into 1 back. didnt dallas choose jj over turner? that was smart

or did he come out the following yr?

That is a big Yes Sireebob

Woods

Reaction score
I think Canty's performance started to improve the last few games of the season.

Let's remember, he's only completed his 2nd year. I still think with good coaching and experience he can continue to improve.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Biggems;1317008 said:
QB - We have Romo, but who else? Bledsoe is will be gone and Baker isn't what I am thinking of as our solution at backup QB

RB - We have JJ, MB3, and even Thompson.....I can see us looking at the draft for another RB...but not in FA...even though Michael Turner is a very intriguing nugget

FB - Hoyte came on at the end, but I am still not overly happy with our FB situation. That being said, unless Lorenzo Neal becomes miraculously available I don't see us going that route.

WR - I am not on the same page with everyone who says we need more WRs. I like what we have in TO, Glenn, Crayton, and Hurd. I would like to get Austin and Rector more reps to see what they have to offer. I wouldn't mind drafting a WR on the second day...but I definitely do not want to sign on as a FA.

OG - we need help here in the worst way. Rivera blows and Kosier is ok, but not dominant. He had a nice first year as a starter though. I know we paid a lot for Kosier, but I say use him as our primary backup at OG and move Flozell to LG. We would still need a RG via FA

OT - Colombo was a pleasant surprise. Adams bugs the heck out of me...all that potential and yet he does little with it. By moving Flozell to LG, we would need a LT in FA.

C - Gurode has done a fine job, but I would like to get a quality backup and Johnson isn't it.

DT - How much can Fergy take and how long can he hold up. He has been very solid for us since his arrival....but he needs help.

DE - This groups is definitely underachieving. Hatcher seemed to be coming into his own, until he got hurt. Bowen was a pleasant surprise at the end of the year. However, Canty, Spears, and Ratliff left a lot to be desired. I would like to address this position in FA.

ILB - This group underchieved for us this year. I do not want to sign a FA ILB however. I would prefer to move Carpenter inside next to Ayodele and put James on the bench. Then use the draft to get Zac DeOssie as our 4th ILB

OLB - Once we lost Ellis, our pass rush suffered mightily, as did our run defense. I dont see Ellis coming back. So I would like to address this position in FA and the draft

CB - Our top 3 are ok.....I am not pleased with Reeves at all. Jones is doing an ok job, but I would like to drop Both and get some new CBs in the draft. If we do indeed move Henry to FS, then we can keep Jones...Either way, I want Reeves gone.....and I don't want to add to this group via FA...save it for the draft

S - I like what we have in Roy, Watkins, Elam, and possibly Henry. I think we are ok at the S position. I don't see any additions via FA or the Draft....I do want to see Davis gone.

So I would like to sign the following FAs heading into the draft

QB - Tim Rattay
RG - Eric Steinbach or Kris Dielman
LT - Tony Pashos or Jordan Black
DT - Terdell Sands
DE - Cory Redding
OLB - Tully Banta-Cain
If we draft a 3-4 defensive end, Adam Carriker might be a good pickup.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
AC did some nice things at Nebraska. He reminds me of Grant Wistrom. I like his motor....always running.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Biggems;1317047 said:
AC did some nice things at Nebraska. He reminds me of Grant Wistrom. I like his motor....always running.

dallas needs to stay away from anymore DE's. jay ratliff should be starting on the leftside this yr. end of the damn story

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Biggems;1317008 said:

Q: What is a quality backup at Center that is better than Al Johnson called?

A: A starting Center.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I wanted Terdell Sands last year, I hope we finally get him. Not because I think he's all that, he's just a BIG GUY! :)

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
As far as the DE's underachieving, it might help if we actually used the athleticism Marcus Spears has. Anyone remember watching him at LSU? He was so quick and fast for someone his size. Now all they have him do is clog run lanes. How about a few stunts? Something. The problem with this defense isnt the players. They all have alot of talent (Yes even Bradie James) The problem is this horrific, vanilla, put to sleep defensive scheme. Nothing will change untill the scheme changes. Getting rid of Zimmer was step one. Hopefully step two and three follow.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Steinbach is the guy to get on O. On D... I think we have the people just the scheme and their useage needs to change. Though I really would like to see what happens with moving Henry to FS. Getting another CB is probably in the cards no matter what. Moving the Hotel into a guard slot is intriging- just do not see it happening yet.

ghst187

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;1317201 said:
As far as the DE's underachieving, it might help if we actually used the athleticism Marcus Spears has. Anyone remember watching him at LSU? He was so quick and fast for someone his size. Now all they have him do is clog run lanes. How about a few stunts? Something. The problem with this defense isnt the players. They all have alot of talent (Yes even Bradie James) The problem is this horrific, vanilla, put to sleep defensive scheme. Nothing will change untill the scheme changes. Getting rid of Zimmer was step one. Hopefully step two and three follow.

that was so true it was almost Scriptural!

kevsstang

Reaction score
What about moving Spears to NT. He may have to put some weight on and get in the weight room. Since we are not using his strenghts, might as well change his position.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Clove;1317111 said:
I wanted Terdell Sands last year, I hope we finally get him. Not because I think he's all that, he's just a BIG GUY! :)

I'm not familar with Sands. Can somebody connect the dots for me on this player?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy;1317553 said:
I'm not familar with Sands. Can somebody connect the dots for me on this player?
All I know is, he's 6'7 335 and had 30 tackles and 1 sack.

When you compare to Ferguson, Fergy had 32 and no sacks. So he will make for a great back up to Ferguson.
Edit: He also had 4 passes defensed, so he must be batting balls down at the LOS.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
kevsstang;1317311 said:
What about moving Spears to NT. He may have to put some weight on and get in the weight room. Since we are not using his strenghts, might as well change his position.

It's really hard to explain what makes up a great NT in a 34. I think that you first have to understand that the key to the 34 is the NT. If you don't have a good one, your going to get abused with a 34. NT in the 34 is not a glamourous position by any means. Basically, if you took a bulldozer and combined it with a crash test dummy, you'd proably have something very close to a good NT for a 34. Just because your big and strong doesn't mean you will make a good NT. You have to be willing to play with no glamer. If your a guy who is big and quick and can make plays behind the LOS from the DT position, your probably not going to be a good NT. Just not what the position calls for. You have to be willing to eat blocks all day long and get no glory. You have to be willing to take a massive amount of phyical abuse play after play. You have to be mentally tough enough to take the pain inflicted on you play after play and believe me, it's an uncommen amount even for the game of football. Even for an interior lineman in the game. Not everybody can play it and most can't. Spear, IMO, is not a NT. I think we need to bring somebody in or draft a guy. JMO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Clove;1317577 said:
All I know is, he's 6'7 335 and had 30 tackles and 1 sack.

When you compare to Ferguson, Fergy had 32 and no sacks. So he will make for a great back up to Ferguson.
Edit: He also had 4 passes defensed, so he must be batting balls down at the LOS.

I don't know that Sands would work at NT. He might make a better DE in a 34 but I doubt he would be very good at NT. He is too tall. The key to playing a good NT is leverage. At 6'7, it's going to be very difficult for him to sustain position against opposing OLs. Breaking free and making plays behind the LOS is not what you need from a NT in a 34. Above all, he must be able to hold position. If he can get push, that's good but it must be straight ahead push as opposed to beating you man and losing contain. Opposing offenses generally try to move a NT to one side or the other and then run counters or power sets to cut behind the movement of the NT. That isolates your backers and can create big plays in the running game. I don't think he's ideal for that role.

joseephuss

Reaction score
So what have Reeves and Jones done to make you want them gone? With Newman, Henry and Glenn as the top three guys, Reeves and Jones hardly see the field. So, how can anyone really know anything about them either good or bad?