my nfldb column

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Chicago Bears are a pretty darn good football team.
But many Dallas fans were aching for a match up in the playoffs that never came last season.
Dallas did not uphold its end of the bargain in 2006.

Dallas was comfortable with the slow methodical Bears game or so the argument went.

Dallas was and is a big physical team who does well with the grind it out style.

On Sunday night Dallas showed why it did not fear Chicago last season in the form of a 34-10 country whupping.
The short answer is Rex Grossman.
The longer is answer is Tony Romo versus Rex Grossman.

As good as the Bears defense was and is and as dangerous as Devin Hester can be; teams generally do not overcome that disparity at quarterback.

Tony Romo may not be Payton or Tom Brady but right now he's unabashedly poised as the third best QB this league has.

Easy enough for me as a Dallas fan to say but it is the opposing defenses who are giving him all the credit in the world and saying he is quicker than expected, frustrating for defenses and simply giving him credit for being very good. Not since Troy Aikman has opponents complimented the Dallas quarterback.

Romo right now is why Dallas is 3-0 and right now Romo is as good as it gets. He faced a ferocious pass rush in Chicago. I really do not know how the Bears defense could have played better. Romo simply bested them. He slipped out of tackles, moved well in the pocket and threw with great accuracy.

As good as Tony Romo was; and Jason Witten and T.O. 'the player' Owens... the defense will get very little respect for what it did. BUT this Phillip's 3-4 is has been advertised. It gives up yards and big plays but also punished you if you make a mistake.

Anthony Henry is beatable but you better be a very accurate QB if you plan to make a living testing him because he plays the ball and will punish you for mistakes. The Cowboys pass rush is a work in progress but they do have guys stunting, take different angles, getting in passing lanes and generally making the qb uneasy. Trent Green and Rex Grossman are not very good but the last two weeks they did not play up to even that level. They gave games away... or did the Dallas defense take them? It's early but I think you have to give some credit to the maligned defense.

Next time Dallas plays on Sunday night expect Tony Romo to open the show instead of Faith Hill.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jterrell;1666717 said:
As good as Tony Romo was; and Jason Witten and T.O. 'the player' Owens... the defense will get very little respect for what it did. BUT this Phillip's 3-4 is has been advertised. It gives up yards and big plays but also punished you if you make a mistake.
Nice article JT. One clean up for you.

Agree on Romo being the big reason behind 3-0.