My night at the game, thoughts ..

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I was at the game and have some fond (mainly 92, 95) and un-fond (mainly 90, 93) memories from games here...we've lost more than we've won when I've seen them live (W's in 92 and 95, L's in 89, 89, 93 and 01)...last night was kind of a mixture between the bad and the good

1) Romo bounced back nicely, but he still had his share of troubles...couple of more clunker throws, missed wide open TE's badly twice on potential big plays, had a few balls batted down (although one I think might have been Rivera's fault)...what was particularly fruttrating though were two plays where Owens lined up with single coverage (no safety help) against Rossum, only to se Romo audible to run plays...one play was near the red zone (around the 25) and Rossum was backing up before the snap for fear of being burned badly...not sure what Romo was thinking on those...that said, he did have some great throws as well and was more like starts before last week

2) Owens had a good game...I didnt see the spit thing (although it obviously happened, and there's no excuse for it) but considering the guy should be out with season ending surgery, what he is doing in terms of on the field play is pretty admirable...awesome catch on TD #1, and he just blistered Hall/Crocker on the long one...I was a big anti-Owens person when we signed him, but I am impressed that he hasnt used his injury as an excuse for the drops (even though it obiously is the main reason for alot of them)...the guy is a warrior on the field

3) MBIII is just money in the redzone...he isnt Tomlinson because of the speed/moves, but he is just awesome when he gets in the TD area...considering our defense's struggles, maybe it is time for Parcells to give MBIII more carries to help us control the game more (I guess it must be noted though that we had an almost 7 minute TOP advantage and we still gave up 28pts)...I really like JuJo and think he'll be fine eventually, but right now MBII is more producitve for whatever reason

4) Rivera got manhandled last night...I think he's a borderline free agent bust (especially considering what he got paid) and is clearly the worst offensive starter on the team

5) our defense is just bad...real bad, and its why nobody should be having any fantasy about a Super Bowl run...you could see players body language when they were coming on the field and in between commercials, and it basically was "what in the world"...several players I saw looking at Parcells & Zimmer and basically throwing their arms up in frustration....whats amazing is watching Parcells and Zimmer, and they dont even get mad when bad plays happen...we did see RW getting really PO'd and screaming at some players after a couple of bad plays, but otherwise its just "ho-hum"...its obvious they have no confidence in what they are being asked to do

6) to continue above, Zimmer kept getting further and further away from Parcells as the game wore on.....Henry was awful last night, no other way to say that, although he did make the huge play to break up the 4th down pass...everyone points at the safeties as the reason our D is bad, last night I dont think it had anything to do with it...vast majority of plays we had no rush whatsoever (as usual)...Demarcus Ware did have an awesome game though...amazing pick, 6 or 7 tackles I think, 1/2 sack, great forced fumble (that Ayodele gave back unfortunately)...it was hard to tell, but it looked like Hatcher and Coleman played more than Canty and Spears...I did see Spears make a couple plays vs the run, but I didnt see Canty do anything and wouldnt even have known he played if I hadnt seen his tall arse in the huddle a couple of times

7) pretty good fans sitting right in front and right behind us, but a few rows back there were some serious problems with drunk Falcon fans...one group of Falcon fans totally turned on this one particularly sorry fan after he kept starting things (I think he hit one guy when he wasnt looking)..another incident resulted in medical people having to come...it was a pretty classless display...then again they have a punk owner, punk coach and alot punk players...so I guess I shouldnt be surprised at seeing punk fans

8) 24/36 for 270 and 2 tds, 0 picks...26/38, 384 yds, 5 tds and 0 picks...16/24, 239 4 tds, 1 pick...all 3 qb's had QB ratings well over 100...combined thats 66/98 (67.4%), 893 yds, 9.11yds per attempt 11 tds and only 1 interception (and that was just an amazing play by Ware)...I'm guessing a QB rating of around 130 or so...thats Zimmer & Parcells great work the past 3 games...Brees is having an MVP type season, but Manning and Vick were both bottom of the league type efficiency QB's who just ripped us apart...there's no way to know probably, but I'm guessing thats the worst 3 consecutive games in franchise history in terms of pass defense

9) good news for next week, Garcia doesnt really have a downfield arm...bad news for next week, our underneath pass coverage is pathetic

10) kinda lost in the shuffle of everything Carpenter probably had his most extensive PT last night and was used alot as a spy it appeared...had 1.5 sacks and appeared to play pretty good...I wouldnt be surprised if he starts from here on out

David

Duane

Reaction score
Congrats on getting to go to the game David. I always look forward to reading your post game comments.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
dbair1967;1239367 said:
I was at the game and have some fond (mainly 92, 95) and un-fond (mainly 90, 93) memories from games here...we've lost more than we've won when I've seen them live (W's in 92 and 95, L's in 89, 89, 93 and 01)...last night was kind of a mixture between the bad and the good

1) Romo bounced back nicely, but he still had his share of troubles...couple of more clunker throws, missed wide open TE's badly twice on potential big plays, had a few balls batted down (although one I think might have been Rivera's fault)...what was particularly fruttrating though were two plays where Owens lined up with single coverage (no safety help) against Rossum, only to se Romo audible to run plays..
stopped reading here

Romo: 22/29 278yards 75.9%

that is not "share of troubles" it called playing NFL QB.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
chinch;1239383 said:
stopped reading here

Romo: 22/29 278yards 75.9%

that is not "share of troubles" it called playing NFL QB.

he had a nice game, but it wasnt flawless either

David

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
David, until we learn how to cover guys in the flat it won't matter how good of a pass rush is mounted. The 5-10 yard pass is there all the time. The inside linebackers appear to be doing just horrendous jobs either in man or zone coverage.

I thought you were a tad tough on Romo also... the guy had a 113 passer rating for the night. You do that every week and you're leading the NFL in passer rating.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1239406 said:
David, until we learn how to cover guys in the flat it won't matter how good of a pass rush is mounted. The 5-10 yard pass is there all the time. The inside linebackers appear to be doing just horrendous jobs either in man or zone coverage.

I thought you were a tad tough on Romo also... the guy had a 113 passer rating for the night. You do that every week and you're leading the NFL in passer rating.

I guess maybe its because expectations are high for him now because he set the bar up there pretty good

I was just surprised at how badly he missed Fasano and Witten on what appeared to be simple throws...the backward pass thing wasnt smart...he threw one pick right to a Falcon defender but it didnt count...had a few balls tipped

dont get me wrong, he has been a HUGE positive and I do think he's the guy here for the longterm...if Bledsoe had played last night we'd have been blown out, and likwise I think had Romo started since week one we'd be better than 9-5

David

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;1239415 said:
I guess maybe its because expectations are high for him now because he set the bar up there pretty good

I was just surprised at how badly he missed Fasano and Witten on what appeared to be simple throws...the backward pass thing wasnt smart...he threw one pick right to a Falcon defender but it didnt count...had a few balls tipped

dont get me wrong, he has been a HUGE positive and I do think he's the guy here for the longterm...if Bledsoe had played last night we'd have been blown out, and likwise I think had Romo started since week one we'd be better than 9-5

David

I agree. I think we've all put the bar at an incredibly high point for Romo which probably isn't fair.

And I agree-- if Romo had started the entire season we would be better than 9-5.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Romo was pretty much unconscious for his first few games and the teams had no plan for him. No one can keep that up for long and teams are now gameplanning him. BUT those stats I will take every game. If we can just keep him from his gunslinging tendencies and work on his mechanics a little more so that his passes are more accurate then we will have absolutely nothing to complain about..... jeeez, what am I saying? Of course people will complain no matter what....

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;1239440 said:
Romo was pretty much unconscious for his first few games and the teams had no plan for him. No one can keep that up for long and teams are now gameplanning him. BUT those stats I will take every game. If we can just keep him from his gunslinging tendencies and work on his mechanics a little more so that his passes are more accurate then we will have absolutely nothing to complain about..... jeeez, what am I saying? Of course people will complain no matter what....

Congrats on your 6,000th Burmashave... I'll have to say "howdy" to you when the 2nd brigade gets back in town. ;)

burmafrd

Reaction score
When is that? Last I heard they are not due for a while. Here at the ASP we do not always get much info. Even though we should.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;1239465 said:
When is that? Last I heard they are not due for a while. Here at the ASP we do not always get much info. Even though we should.

Probably won't be until summer...

burmafrd

Reaction score
I be the head QASAS at the ASP. ME job is to make soldier boys behave demselves with da things that go boom.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great review David thanks for posting. Better a better sig pic. That is good stuff man!

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark;1239553 said:
Did Newman give up any TD's?

The one to Lelie before the half was on Newman I believe.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboyfan4life_mark;1239553 said:
Did Newman give up any TD's?
Yes but..........we had zero pressure on Vick and he just stood there waiting and made a absolutely perfecr pass into a very small window. I still can't believe either part of that statement.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;1239367 said:

6) to continue above, Zimmer kept getting further and further away from Parcells as the game wore on.....Henry was awful last night, no other way to say that, although he did make the huge play to break up the 4th down pass...everyone points at the safeties as the reason our D is bad, last night I dont think it had anything to do with it...vast majority of plays we had no rush whatsoever (as usual)...Demarcus Ware did have an awesome game though...amazing pick, 6 or 7 tackles I think, 1/2 sack, great forced fumble (that Ayodele gave back unfortunately)...it was hard to tell, but it looked like Hatcher and Coleman played more than Canty and Spears...I did see Spears make a couple plays vs the run, but I didnt see Canty do anything and wouldnt even have known he played if I hadnt seen his tall arse in the huddle a couple of times
David

I was at that game in 92. Traveling from Florida to Ohio for Christmas. Stopped for the game. Emmitt 173 yards, won the NFC East that Monday night. Deion fumbled a KO return for Atlanta, over on sideline throwing benches in his frustration. Funny stuff. Fans were cool and nice. Good experience.

Canty had a great play. He was the player that pressured Vick to make him throw the ball that Ware made his fantastic play for the interception and TD.

burmafrd

Reaction score
That play just might Keep Canty starting for one more game. Spears, on the other hand, might be replaced with Hatcher. Hatcher played a whole lot in the second half last night.