CFZ My offseason moves

ghst187

Reaction score
Love it except no way we are able to draft both Gibbs and Hyatt (although those are my top targets). Also more apt to keep Pollard than Zeke.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Nothing is going to improve until the running game is right.

Bringing back Schultz and Elliott would blow up any shot of that happening.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
6mil cap room

Restructure and extend Zack Martin 3 yrs
Dallas takes 10 mil and puts that into a new signing bonus. He's still under contract for this yr and next yr. 3 yrs 45mil 10mil starts in 2025 -2027

Dallas saves 8 mil on the cap.
14mil cap room

Elliot takes a paycut to a 2 mil base salary with ability to get some back with incentives on yards and tds. He accepts

Dallas saves 8.9 mil
22.9mil cap room

Dallas releases Jourdan Lewis
Dallas saves 4.7mil
27.6mil cap room

Dallas releases Tyron Smith
Dallas saves 8.9 mil
36.5mil cap room

Tender Terence Steele rd 1 tender
1 yr 5.4 mil
31.1 mil cap room

Re-sign Conner McGovern
3 yrs 18mil 8 mil sb
Yr 1 2mil base salary 2.6 mil pr sb
4.6 mil caphit
26.5 cap room

Re-sign Jonathon Hankins
1 yr 1.5 mil 1 mil sb
1.7 mil caphit
24.8mil cap room

FreeAgency
Sign Fletcher Cox
2 yrs 12mil 5mil sb
Yr 1 4mil base 1 mil pr sb
19.8mil cap room

Re-sign Dalton Schultz
4 yrs 52mil 16mil sb
Yr 1 5 mil base salary 4 mil pr sb
10.8 mil cap

Starters for 2023

QB. Dak Prescot
RB. Jahmyr Gibbs (rookie)
WR. CeeDee Lamb
WR. Michael Gallup
WR. Jalin Hyatt (rookie)
TE. Dalton Schultz
LT. Tyler Smith
LG. Conner McGovern
C. Tyler Biadasz
RG. Zack Martin
RT. Terence Steele

LDE. Demarcus Lawrence
3T. Osa Odighizuwa
1T. Fletcher Cox
RDE. Dorrance Armstrong
LB. Damone Clark
LB. Micah Parsons
CB. Trevon Diggs
CB. Daron Bland
CB. Israel Mukuamu
FS. Malik Hooker
SS. Jayron Kearse
Sound ok to me. You put some work into it.

- I like that you let go of Pollard and be set on a rookie back.
- I dont like that you signed Schultz. Id rather have a round 3-4 TE drafted.
- I dont like that you keep Zeke. The paycut is ok. But he still will occupy a roster spot. And to me this is the most important reason to let him go.
- Id rather keep Tyron Smith on a paycut deal. It gets you a good swing tackle and doesnt put you under preassure in the draft to pick another OL high.
- It seems your draft will be offense heavy. Id rather have a D-orientated one. Especially if Quinn leaves i see our defense as a real question. The most players overachieved because of him imo.

Open Questions:

- What do you do with Anthony Brown ? You already cut Lewis. If you dont keep Brown thats two CBs gone with no new addition.
- What do you do with Wilson ? He will be an UFA. I think you are going to keep in. If so you need to calculate that into your spent salaries.
- You let LVE and Barr go. How do you replace them ? I know you have Clark penciled in. But i dont think he is good enough. You at least need a good and proven 3rd starter there.

Anyways... nice work and some good thoughts. Thanks for that.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I am okay with most of this. Will Zeke really take $2 million? IMO, he takes that or he takes nothing because I am not sure anyone would sign him for more. Then again, another team can sign him to $3 million and he has less impact than he would for Dallas at $2 million.

I am leaning towards releasing Tyron, but if they don't sign McGovern the Tyron is there to play LT with Tyler Smith moving inside. I would prefer to sign McGovern. I think he did a pretty good job this year at LG. I wonder what other teams will offer him.

I like the idea of signing Hankins but not Cox. I think there is 0 chance Cox would play for Dallas. I think there is a better chance he stays with the Eagles. But I wouldn't mind signing Dalvin Tomlinson who is also a free agent. But the need to so something at DT. With Bohanna inactive for the niners game, and Galloway looking like less than a Jag they need more at DT.

I like what I saw from Mukuamu but I am not ready to make a full commitment to him. Either the draft a CB or sign one in free agency, or they keep Lewis just in case. I've said it before, CAP space is unnecessary unless Jerry and junior are willing to spend it. So far they have not so no need to cut players to make CAP room.

I am letting Schultz go. I think Ferguson will be better that Schultz one day and I don;t want Schultz around to stunt his development.

Also, you left out Dak's contract. I think it is inevitable that Jerry will restructure Dak again, extend the deal into the voided years and create CAP space that way. I don't think Jerry has a choice. But Jerry surprised me last year so I imagine there will be some surprising moves this year.

Plus the Cowboys are starting 2023 $5 million over the CAP not $6 million under according to over the CAP.
Tyron could very well be back. Especially if Steele isnt ready.

I left out daks because I just think either he gets it done in 2023 or they move on in 2024

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Love it except no way we are able to draft both Gibbs and Hyatt (although those are my top targets). Also more apt to keep Pollard than Zeke.
Right now jalin is rated as a bottom 2nd rd guy. He could climb but so can other guys.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Elliott has to be cut. Even taking a massive pay cut as you stated, he'd still be a backup TB with an 8 million cap hit. That's preposterous.

And that's a big no on resigning Schultz at that number too.
This draft has several TEs. We should consider taking one.

shabazz

Reaction score
Nice write up @LatinMind , but I think many of us think that Ferguson and Hendershot can fill Schultz’s spot quite nicely……perhaps sign a veteran TE on the cheap for experience and depth as well

shabazz

Reaction score
Right now jalin is rated as a bottom 2nd rd guy. He could climb but so can other guys.
With the 2 able rookies we already have, I’d rather sign a veteran on the cheap to moderate instead

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
6mil cap room

Restructure and extend Zack Martin 3 yrs
Dallas takes 10 mil and puts that into a new signing bonus. He's still under contract for this yr and next yr. 3 yrs 45mil 10mil starts in 2025 -2027

Dallas saves 8 mil on the cap.
14mil cap room

Elliot takes a paycut to a 2 mil base salary with ability to get some back with incentives on yards and tds. He accepts

Dallas saves 8.9 mil
22.9mil cap room

Dallas releases Jourdan Lewis
Dallas saves 4.7mil
27.6mil cap room

Dallas releases Tyron Smith
Dallas saves 8.9 mil
36.5mil cap room

Tender Terence Steele rd 1 tender
1 yr 5.4 mil
31.1 mil cap room

Re-sign Conner McGovern
3 yrs 18mil 8 mil sb
Yr 1 2mil base salary 2.6 mil pr sb
4.6 mil caphit
26.5 cap room

Re-sign Jonathon Hankins
1 yr 1.5 mil 1 mil sb
1.7 mil caphit
24.8mil cap room

FreeAgency
Sign Fletcher Cox
2 yrs 12mil 5mil sb
Yr 1 4mil base 1 mil pr sb
19.8mil cap room

Re-sign Dalton Schultz
4 yrs 52mil 16mil sb
Yr 1 5 mil base salary 4 mil pr sb
10.8 mil cap

Starters for 2023

QB. Dak Prescot
RB. Jahmyr Gibbs (rookie)
WR. CeeDee Lamb
WR. Michael Gallup
WR. Jalin Hyatt (rookie)
TE. Dalton Schultz
LT. Tyler Smith
LG. Conner McGovern
C. Tyler Biadasz
RG. Zack Martin
RT. Terence Steele

LDE. Demarcus Lawrence
3T. Osa Odighizuwa
1T. Fletcher Cox
RDE. Dorrance Armstrong
LB. Damone Clark
LB. Micah Parsons
CB. Trevon Diggs
CB. Daron Bland
CB. Israel Mukuamu
FS. Malik Hooker
SS. Jayron Kearse
smiley-emoji.gif

ghst187

Reaction score
I see him mocked in the 20s round 1 but before our pick, I’m afraid his speed will tantalize at the combine. I suspect Gibbs will be gone too before we pick in 1. But we can hope!

DanA

Reaction score
For me:
  • QB: Dak
  • RB: Davis
  • TE: Ferguson, Hendershot, McKeon
  • WR: Lamb, Gallup, Tolbert, Fehoko, Turpin
  • OT: Steele, Tyron, Walezko, Ball
  • OG: Martin, Tyler, Collins
  • OC: Biadasz, Farniok
QB: We’ve got to draft a guy, I’m looking for a Dak, Hurts, Purdy type guy that is semi-athletic. Somewhere 2-4th round is ideal (if the right prospect is there).

RB: I’d take Zeke on a Ingram type deal and (medical pending) franchise Pollard.

TE: It’s another deep TE class so I’d be looking to draft one mid-draft to compete with last years rookies.

WR: I’d like TY Hilton back but I’m banking on inprovement from Gallup, Tolbert, Fehoko and Turpin.

O-line: I really liked what I saw from Farniok and Waletzko so assuming a healthier season from these two we have some depth. It wouldn’t be a focus for me unless someone dropped in our lap.

• DE: Lawrence, Armstrong, Parsons, Williams
  • DT: Odigi, Golston, Gallimore, Bohanna
  • LB: Clarke, Cox, Gifford, Harper
  • S: Kearse, Hooker, Mukuamu, Bell
  • CB: Diggs, Bland, Lewis, Wright, Joseph
DT: To be honest I’d go all out in free agency, try and sign both Hankins and Payne which would put Gallimore and Bohanna’s spot on the roster in jeopardy.

LB: I would get cheap at LB with a veteran in the 2-4m range and then a rookie 4th or 5th rounder.

CB: I’m either going all out for a no.1 CB or doing nothing at all with Bland/Diggs on the outside and Lewis as slot.

DE or S: Only if the value is too good to pass up.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Elliot scored 12 tds this yr. He'd come in handy on the goaline. Rather have them 12 tds then dead money.
The Cowboys would be enticed to use him 50/50

We need a RB with a higher ceiling than "no screen" Zeke

He is just too much liability in the passing game. And it makes it harder to mask the playcall when you're just a north and south short yardage back

Last edited:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Shultz??? No way. I would also not cut Smith. When he lined up against him he whipped Watt. Guy can still play.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I
Signing Schultz will just go down the long line of bad contracts including Zeke and Jaylon. He is easily replaceable.
His skillsets are easily replaceable because they aren't elite. He's not a Consistent Route Runner or Scoring threat and balls get tipped up

But he'd make a good #2 te in a 12 personell led offense led by a Stud te who could get better Separation leading our 11 personell package. Lol

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
The problem is we use our tes as every down players and they have to excel every game at receiving and scoring while blocking if they are one of the main targeted

It just waters down the potency of the sauce.

I like his durability for the way we overtarget him. My hat goes off to him for that.

But he's just not good at separation or yacs to carry a top wr load.

Y'all go back and watch all 10 targets to Schultz again. And remember I told ya sooooo!! Urgh.

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Gronk to the Cowboys as a part time player. Just for 3rd down and in the red zone lol praying hard.

Let him teach these young tes how to get separation, go up and snatch a ball and block and get racs and win

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Cox is more of a person pick for me lol. I've always loved how he plays the game
We don't want Cox (hehehehe).

He really declined. His numbers are up THIS year because he's surrounded by talent,....but he was REALLY declining last 2 years. Eagles fans mad at Howie for resigning him a year or 2 ago.

It's like, when an animal is declining and getting ready to die, he might all of a sudden get a surge of energy for a day or two, right before dropping dead.

WE...need to get young. No guys on their last legs.