My Offseason Plan - Free Agency

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I wouldn't argue with you on that. And that's why I would only sign him for what amounts to two years. And I feel that even in some form of decline, with his smarts and experience, he would still be a huge upgrade over what we had in 2015. I envision a tandem of Weddle and Byron Jones being world's better than what we got from Church and Wilcox this year.

And, again, I feel he would be a terrific tutor for Byron Jones to become a true NFL safety.

If Dallas wants a S go younger. I dont think theyd go after a player who is going to be 32. A player like Gibson would make the back end very hard to pass against. They can cover alot of ground from sideline to sideline. again if they can get pressure.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But on a Rb of that caliber especially at a posistion Dallas needs to be successful on offense i think if they valued him take him. Teams dared Dallas to run inside last yr. They couldnt do it.

I'd rather use free agency to fill it with a proven commodity like Lamar Miller and use the #4 pick on the quarterback. I think it supports my position that I can find talent like Miller in free agency, while franchise quarterbacks are never available on the open market.

In fact, even the list of potential backup quarterbacks isn't overly impressive.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dallas wants a S go younger. I dont think theyd go after a player who is going to be 32. A player like Gibson would make the back end very hard to pass against. They can cover alot of ground from sideline to sideline. again if they can get pressure.

Don't you think the younger Gipson would cost even more than Weddle?

Secondly, don't you think that the Browns have more cap space to offer him more than the Cowboys can afford to?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Don't you think the younger Gipson would cost even more than Weddle?

Secondly, don't you think that the Browns have more cap space to offer him more than the Cowboys can afford to?

Does Jerry seems like the guy who is cheap? this nickle and dime mentality you have with jerrys money should be reserved for the Browns owner. Thats the nickle pincher.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I'd rather use free agency to fill it with a proven commodity like Lamar Miller and use the #4 pick on the quarterback. I think it supports my position that I can find talent like Miller in free agency, while franchise quarterbacks are never available on the open market.

In fact, even the list of potential backup quarterbacks isn't overly impressive.

I think the cowboys offering Murray 4 mil a yr shows they arent looking to spend big on Rbs. Miller will get more than 4 mil a yr. Dallas could probably get Alfred Morris for 3-4mil a yr

Dodger12

Reaction score
Seriously? Church has 3 INT's over a 6-year career, he's allergic to the football. If you want to "take out a year", take out his whopping two picks from 2014 and he's left with one!

Weddle is a 3-time Pro Bowler and multiple All-Pro selection. To my knowledge, Church has never played in one. And I'm not bashing Church, I'd keep him as a backup for less money. But there's nobody outside a Cowboys fan blinded by loyalty who thinks that Church is anywhere near the player Weddle is.

Church and Wilcox's issues can't always be weighed by looking and comparing stats. The game changing whiffs, bad angles and missed tackles drive me absolutely nuts. I've seen enough to know that we need to upgrade both safety spots. Even an average safety would be an upgrade.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With that miserable season behind us, it's time to look ahead toward the future!

And I know many of us already looking towards the draft and free agency, I know I am! So I thought that I would share my thoughts on what I would do if I were running the show. Rather than put it all in one thread, I'll break it down into two so it's easier to read and discuss.

Feel free to add your own plan or to critique what I'm presenting here. This is essentially just a conversation starter anyway.

Despite the ability to go crazy with restructures, free agency, and the draft, I would play things somewhat conservatively, making only a few choice moves.

1) I would attempt to re-sign Greg Hardy.

I know that's a controversial and less than popular move for some, but I still think that he's a very good player that this team really needs. What I don't want to do is to let him go and create another weakness that needs to be filled. While Lawrence is good and Gregory might be, there are no guarantees and you need better production. And putting those two on the field at the same time leaves you at a distinct size disadvantage as well. The Cowboys have already taken the hit for Hardy's past issues, so I would keep him at a reasonable price, I'd guess in the $7 - $8 million range with safeguards/incentives built in.

2) Release Barry Church and sign Eric Weddle in free agency.

Cutting Church saves nearly $3 million in cap space, which can then be used towards signing Weddle, who I anticipate in the $5 - $6 million per year range. Weddle has been among the league's best safeties for the past 5 years and I think he would provide stability to the secondary and a great veteran presence. I think he would also be an excellent mentor to Byron Jones. I think he's got another two seasons left at least.

3) Sign Lamar Miller at running back. While Darren McFadden had a very good year, I still think that this team can improve the position here. Other than McFadden, the running back position was a revolving door of disappointment and injury, and more talent is needed. Miller is just 24-years old, with a lot of tread left on his tires, and looks to still be an ascending player. Why the Dolphins under-utilized him was criminal, but their loss is our gain. He could be this team's back now, and for the future as well. I believe his contract would be for roughly $5 million per season.

4) Sign Rishard Matthews to be this team's 2nd or 3rd receiver. Another former Dolphin? I think so. For all of the flack Jeff Ireland gets - and rightly so - his 2012 draft in Miami looks like a fantastic haul at this point in time. Matthews was a 7th round steal, with good size, great speed, and good hands. He really put it together and was having an excellent 2015 prior to injury. To my eyes, he looks like another ascending player just hitting his stride at just the right time. Given the draft investments the Dolphins have made, and their gap,situation, I see Matthews hitting the market and I would pounce on him. I don't see the Cowboys re-signing the inconsistent Terrance Williams, and Matthews could be a nice deep threat compliment to Dez Bryant for the next several years. I'd estimate between $4 - $5 million per year.

5) Sign Colt McCoy as our veteran backup. It was painfully obvious that Tony Romo's injury, coupled with the lack of a capable backup quarterback, was the biggest contributor to the 'Great train wreck of 2015'. I sure don't want to see a repeat of that this year. Despite all of the talk about RG3 or Johnny Manziel, I don't want to roll the dice on the coming season by counting on either one of those boom or bust options. Give me a reliable, dependable player who will simply do his job. McCoy doesn't have a cannon for an arm, but he's shown he can capably get the job done. And he looks yo have come into his own as a pro in Washington. Prior to this season, he was in close competition with Kirk Cousins to be the starter, and given the great season Cousins had, I'll gladly take the guy who came in a close second. Take a look at what McCoy did during the preseason and see what you think. He made $1.5 million in Washington, so I'd expect a similar deal, possibly $2 million per year, would be enough. Especially when you can offer a return to Texas!

Add it up and it's roughly $24 per season average in total expenditures per season. In my opinion, it fills some big needs while not breaking the bank salary wise, and sets the team up to do some nice work come draft time.

Again, let me know what you guys think and what you would do if you were calling the shots.

I like it.

I have couple minor discrepancies but it's not a bad plan at all.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the cowboys offering Murray 4 mil a yr shows they arent looking to spend big on Rbs. Miller will get more than 4 mil a yr. Dallas could probably get Alfred Morris for 3-4mil a yr

Probably could get Morris for 2.5 to 3 mil per year.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
probably. Him and McFadden would give Dallas a nice combo.

Yep. 28 yo back who had a mediocre year last season... He doesn't have the upside or even the skill-set of Ingram who signed the 4yr/$16mil last season.

I think he and McFadden would be a nice combo.

Then maybe after the 2016 season, McFadden is dumped for a draft choice... as others have pointed out, next years RB class looks to be superb.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does Jerry seems like the guy who is cheap? this nickle and dime mentality you have with jerrys money should be reserved for the Browns owner. Thats the nickle pincher.

This isn't about being "cheap" at all and I think you know better! The fact of the matter is that like every other owner, Jones and the Cowboys are subject to the salary cap. You should look into it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the cowboys offering Murray 4 mil a yr shows they arent looking to spend big on Rbs. Miller will get more than 4 mil a yr.

The Cowboys were willing to pay Murray $6 million per year with $12 guaranteed. That says differently.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article35832618.html

Dallas could probably get Alfred Morris for 3-4mil a yr

They'd still be overpaying for Morris. He's washed up. And why would a guy advocating drafting Elliott at #4 overall now want to pay Alfred Morris $3-$4 million a year?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Church and Wilcox's issues can't always be weighed by looking and comparing stats. The game changing whiffs, bad angles and missed tackles drive me absolutely nuts. I've seen enough to know that we need to upgrade both safety spots. Even an average safety would be an upgrade.

I totally agree. They tried to go cheap at that position and they've received corresponding returns. You get what you pay for.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like it.

I have couple minor discrepancies but it's not a bad plan at all.

Thanks, I appreciate the response. And as a poster I respect, I'm curious to hear more on your thoughts and what you would do or wouldn't do, differently?

Dodger12

Reaction score
I totally agree. They tried to go cheap at that position and they've received corresponding returns. You get what you pay for.

I agree but it always seems that we can only fill our most glaring holes with 1st round picks. We need to do better in the later rounds.....much better.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree but it always seems that we can only fill our most glaring holes with 1st round picks. We need to do better in the later rounds.....much better.

No doubt about it. Our first rounders outside of Claiborne have been home runs, but the mid to late rounders have been awful.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks, I appreciate the response. And as a poster I respect, I'm curious to hear more on your thoughts and what you would do or wouldn't do, differently?

I'd like to see the Cowboys resign Hardy... just not confident they will. He may have worn out his welcome.

If they don't resign Hardy, would welcome Mario Williams or even a return of Ware... not sure of the $ invested in either Mario or Ware.

I like Weddle. I just rate him a little lower. I don't see him being a top-20 safety any more. I think he's more of a $5 mil a season guy.

And yes Church should be shown the door.

At corner? Who freakin knows? It's just a mess. Keep Carr. Cut Carr. Reduce Carr's salary. Resign Mo. Let him walk. I just don't know. The entire secondary is such a mess I could see flushing all 4 starters.

Big Miller fan. $5 mil per season is a little above my comfort zone, I'm thinking $4-$4.5mil per season. If they could get him for 4 years, yeah I'd greatly consider that.

Matthews? He did OK by me on my fantasy team. If he came to the Cowboys for say a couple mill a season... I'd support that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd like to see the Cowboys resign Hardy... just not confident they will. He may have worn out his welcome.

If they don't resign Hardy, would welcome Mario Williams or even a return of Ware... not sure of the $ invested in either Mario or Ware.

No doubt about Hardy. But if it were me, I'd keep him rather than open up another need. I question Williams' effort level and Ware's durability at this point. I'd stick with the 'devil you know' so to speak.

I like Weddle. I just rate him a little lower. I don't see him being a top-20 safety any more. I think he's more of a $5 mil a season guy.
Hey, the cheaper the better. I'd like him for less too if we can get him.

And yes Church should be shown the door.
I'd like him as a backup, but not at current rate. If he'd take a paycut to stay? Sure.

At corner? Who freakin knows? It's just a mess. Keep Carr. Cut Carr. Reduce Carr's salary. Resign Mo. Let him walk. I just don't know. The entire secondary is such a mess I could see flushing all 4 starters.

Right there with you. But I'm thinking that they have to keep one if Carr or Claiborne for at least one more year. Then draft a young guy to add to the mix and make a decision again in 2017. But getting rid of both again opens up too much of a hole, and then you're either using a high draft pick or signing a free agent.

Big Miller fan. $5 mil per season is a little above my comfort zone, I'm thinking $4-$4.5mil per season. If they could get him for 4 years, yeah I'd greatly consider that.

I'd Ho as high as $5 million rather than drafting someone you can't be sure will excel at the NFL level.

Matthews? He did OK by me on my fantasy team. If he came to the Cowboys for say a couple mill a season... I'd support that.

I think he's another talent that Miami failed to maximize. He really came on this year and I think he'd be a nice #2 to pair with Dez and an upgrade over Williams.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I can't argue that, I wish that wasn't the case. But his teammates don't seem to find it a deal-breaker and, as I said, I think letting him leave opens up a big need at defensive end.

I think his teammates do dislike it.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
And you're OK with using that #4 pick on Elliott?

I like Gipson too. He's younger and would be here longer, but I also think he might cost more and I think Weddle's experience makes him a bigger plus right now.

How do you manage to get both Goff and Elliott? I'd love to read your mock draft! ;)

All indications are that Patterson can't play receiver at the NFL level. He'd be strictly a return man. A great one, but just that.

I think Benjamin will cost a lot more than Matthews would, and Cleveland definitely can afford to pay more to keep him than we can afford. It would be nice though, wouldn't it?

I would absolutely spend the 4th on Elliott. He is a ProBowler next year if they start him.
He has the Home Run hitting ability this team is sorely lacking.

My dream is to get Goff and Elliott but it would be a Hail Mary.

We would trade back a couple spots and still get Goff then we would trade up with the extra picks back into the Top 15 if Elliott was still there.

I know everyone wants a trade back but it takes a buyer and seller. Realistically I know we are getting a QB or Elliott, not both.