My post SR bowl mock v.4

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Resignings: Ron Leary G, Mackenzey Bernadeau G/C, Jeremy Mincey DE, Jeff Heath S, Jack Crawford DL, Lance Dunbar RB
Restructures: Tyron Smith T, Tyrone Crawford DT
Releases: Barry Church S, Brandon Carr CB
Free Agents: Danny Trevathan LB, Deshawn Shead CB, Robert Griffin III QB
Trade: Ron Leary RD4

Round 1
Trade with TB for Bosa. Dallas gets RD1(9) RD2(43)
Ezekiel Elliot RN Ohio State
Dallas gets that RB who can do it all. Game changer type.

Round 2
Sheldon Rankins DT Louisville
Stalky and very strong, quick off the snap who routinely splits that double team to create pressure. Or digs down and hold ground vs the run. Dallas seems to love T. McClain, and Rankins reminds me of this in size and game.

Round 2(TB)
Jeremy Cash S Duke
Intimidating factor in the secondary. Can play the box and can cover as he lined up alot in the slot at Duke.

Round 3
Shawn Oakman DE
Big De who can provide pressure and play the run. The more De's the provide pressure the better. Insurance incase Gregory just doesnt take the next step.

Round 4
Dak Prescott QB Miss State
A guy Dallas met with at the SR bowl. Smart and is the dual threat that these smashmouth teams are going to.
Round 4(Leary Trade)
Nick Vannett TE Ohio State
Guy who can block and catch. I could see him being Wittens replacement.

Round 4(comp)
Joe Schobert LB Wisconsin
SAM LB who can tackle and play the run and who can also play the middle.

Round 6(OAK)
Tavon Young CB Temple
Smaller Cb but doesnt shy from contact and quick. Slot type CB
Round 6(COMP)
Jordan Walsh C/G Iowa
Multi purpose OL
Round 6(COMP)
Tevin Carter S Utah
Can play both S spots.

QB: Romo, RG3, Prescott
RB: Elliot, McFadden, Dunbar
WR: Dez, TW, Beasley, Butler, Lucky
TE: Witten, Vannett, Swaim
LT: Tyron, Green
LG: Collins, Bernadeau
C: Fredrick, Walsh
RG: Martin, Bernadeau
RT: Free, Green

LDE: Lawrence, Oakman
3TECH: Crawford, Irving, J. Crawford, Whaley
1TECH: Rankins, McClain
RDE: Gregory, Mincey
SAM: Damien Wilson, Schobert
MIKE: Trevathan, Gachkar
WILL: Lee, Hitchens
LCB: Scandrick, Olotaye, Mitchell
RCB: Shead, Olotaye, Mitchell
FS: Jones, Heath
SS: Cash, Wilcox

RoboQB

Reaction score
I'm just curious... who do you have TB selecting after that trade?

waving monkey

Reaction score
Well you did a heck of a job even though you'll your bull headed. Kidding of course.
No you rebuilt the defense just about. You did get a QB but the quality is several steps down
You'll have your reasons and justifications so OK No Wentz or Goff will set this team back a long time. Zeek is a hellofa player.
But good job.

tm1119

Reaction score
People need to accept the fact that we aren't cutting a team captain for a few million bucks saved. Church will be on the team and so will Wilcox to make up our SS duo.

Also what is your deal with Oakman? He can't play man. He's not a football player, just a big athlete. Poor guy is going to get 1 of his twig legs snapped in the NFL.

So turn Cash into a CB and draft a better DE than Oakman and I would actually really like this draft.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Resignings: Ron Leary G, Mackenzey Bernadeau G/C, Jeremy Mincey DE, Jeff Heath S, Jack Crawford DL, Lance Dunbar RB
Restructures: Tyron Smith T, Tyrone Crawford DT
Releases: Barry Church S, Brandon Carr CB
Free Agents: Danny Trevathan LB, Deshawn Shead CB, Robert Griffin III QB
Trade: Ron Leary RD4

Round 1
Trade with TB for Bosa. Dallas gets RD1(9) RD2(43)
Ezekiel Elliot RN Ohio State
Dallas gets that RB who can do it all. Game changer type.

Round 2
Sheldon Rankins DT Louisville
Stalky and very strong, quick off the snap who routinely splits that double team to create pressure. Or digs down and hold ground vs the run. Dallas seems to love T. McClain, and Rankins reminds me of this in size and game.

Round 2(TB)
Jeremy Cash S Duke
Intimidating factor in the secondary. Can play the box and can cover as he lined up alot in the slot at Duke.

Round 3
Shawn Oakman DE
Big De who can provide pressure and play the run. The more De's the provide pressure the better. Insurance incase Gregory just doesnt take the next step.

Round 4
Dak Prescott QB Miss State
A guy Dallas met with at the SR bowl. Smart and is the dual threat that these smashmouth teams are going to.
Round 4(Leary Trade)
Nick Vannett TE Ohio State
Guy who can block and catch. I could see him being Wittens replacement.

Round 4(comp)
Joe Schobert LB Wisconsin
SAM LB who can tackle and play the run and who can also play the middle.

Round 6(OAK)
Tavon Young CB Temple
Smaller Cb but doesnt shy from contact and quick. Slot type CB
Round 6(COMP)
Jordan Walsh C/G Iowa
Multi purpose OL
Round 6(COMP)
Tevin Carter S Utah
Can play both S spots.

QB: Romo, RG3, Prescott
RB: Elliot, McFadden, Dunbar
WR: Dez, TW, Beasley, Butler, Lucky
TE: Witten, Vannett, Swaim
LT: Tyron, Green
LG: Collins, Bernadeau
C: Fredrick, Walsh
RG: Martin, Bernadeau
RT: Free, Green

LDE: Lawrence, Oakman
3TECH: Crawford, Irving, J. Crawford, Whaley
1TECH: Rankins, McClain
RDE: Gregory, Mincey
SAM: Damien Wilson, Schobert
MIKE: Trevathan, Gachkar
WILL: Lee, Hitchens
LCB: Scandrick, Olotaye, Mitchell
RCB: Shead, Olotaye, Mitchell
FS: Jones, Heath
SS: Cash, Wilcox

I like your draft but the more I see your weekly updates, the more holes I see on the team. We really have no super star players on the defense. Lee is the closest we have.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Well you did a heck of a job even though you'll your bull headed. Kidding of course.
No you rebuilt the defense just about. You did get a QB but the quality is several steps down
You'll have your reasons and justifications so OK No Wentz or Goff will set this team back a long time. Zeek is a hellofa player.
But good job.

People who cover with the team just dont feel like Dallas is in love with the QDs. they like Wentz, but they dont like him at 4. I can see Dallas trading back and taking Wentz, but there was a report of Dallas meeting with Dak during the week. I just dont see this team taking a QB that high with how they feel about Romo. Fans and Aikman can say all they want about Romo but this team just doesnt think he's done. Im not saying i agree with it, but thats how they feel. And people talk about Goff, he wouldnt be good in this offense IMO and have not once seen his name mentioned with the Cowboys. They like Wentz because NDSU runs the west coast offense.

Dallas had the same kind of responses about Murray last yr. We want him back but we have options. I just think theres gonna be alot of mad fans this draft.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
People need to accept the fact that we aren't cutting a team captain for a few million bucks saved. Church will be on the team and so will Wilcox to make up our SS duo.

Also what is your deal with Oakman? He can't play man. He's not a football player, just a big athlete. Poor guy is going to get 1 of his twig legs snapped in the NFL.

So turn Cash into a CB and draft a better DE than Oakman and I would actually really like this draft.

Its not about cutting him to save money. Its just he isnt very good,

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You can't resign Leary then trade him.
He is an UFA so he goes to highest bidder.
No team is going to trade for him after losing a bidding war but then pay that cost plus lose trade assets.
That's a no go.

Ron Leary is almost certianly gone as he is a starting quality OG that has made nothing so far.
He'll get millions to sign and 15 to 20M total.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
top 10 draft rb better be AP like. RB's can be found later in the draft.

The other problem with choosing a back like that is that their "shelf-life" is usually much lower than any other position... outside of say a QB, who isn't going to make it as a starter.

CB's, offensive lineman, linebackers... you can coax a 10-12 year career out of a talented player.

But at RB? If the guy's talented he's getting the ball 20+ times a game, game in and game out and he's simply going to wear out much sooner so you're having to replace him much sooner.

The list of "bell cow" backs that missed significant chunks of this season is eye-opening.

I'm firmly in the camp of RBBC. Get good backs (not great) and give them the ball 10-12 times a game. If one gets hurt, then you can lean on the other for more carries.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Elliot, Jeremy Cash and Shawn Oakman instead of Joey Bosa and an R3 RB like CJ Prosise? No thanks.

Trading down from 4 makes very little sense unless you grade these guys equally.

RB as first selection is basically guaranteed to fail.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No team is going to trade for him after losing a bidding war but then pay that cost plus lose trade assets.
That's a no go.

Ron Leary is almost certianly gone as he is a starting quality OG that has made nothing so far.

Are you sure he's unrestricted JT? I thought the Cowboys could put in a qualifying offer... Not that a team couldn't top it, but the Cowboys would at least get a pick out of it.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Leary is a RFA he was a ERFA last yr. He didnt get any time credited in 2012 as he wasnt activated for any games.

tm1119

Reaction score
Its not about cutting him to save money. Its just he isnt very good,

I'm not arguing that fact at all. I'm by no means a Church fan. I'm just being realistic about the situation. The likelihood of going from team captain to cut making less than $4M is slim to none.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
The other problem with choosing a back like that is that their "shelf-life" is usually much lower than any other position... outside of say a QB, who isn't going to make it as a starter.

CB's, offensive lineman, linebackers... you can coax a 10-12 year career out of a talented player.

But at RB? If the guy's talented he's getting the ball 20+ times a game, game in and game out and he's simply going to wear out much sooner so you're having to replace him much sooner.

The list of "bell cow" backs that missed significant chunks of this season is eye-opening.

I'm firmly in the camp of RBBC. Get good backs (not great) and give them the ball 10-12 times a game. If one gets hurt, then you can lean on the other for more carries.

Dallas is looking for that back. They wanted Gurley last yr bad

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas is looking for that back. They wanted Gurley last yr bad

I would think any team would take Gurley if he was dropped in their lap.

But the Cowboys certainly did not move up to get him.

FWIW I think Gurley is a better back than Elliot, hence another reason I wouldn't take Elliot at #4.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Are you sure he's unrestricted JT? I thought the Cowboys could put in a qualifying offer... Not that a team couldn't top it, but the Cowboys would at least get a pick out of it.

He's restricted because his first yr was spent inactive so he didnt get any credit for 2012