My Pre-Training Camp thoughts

Manster68

Reaction score
Greetings,

The "Offseason that seems like an eternity" is on the home stretch. Baseball's All-Star Game has been played, the British Open will finalize tomorrow, the Outdoor Games is in full swing, and the Tour De France is in their second half. What does this mean?

The focus of sports is soon turning their attention towards the NFL!!!

The NFL has been in the news quite often during this offseason. This is largely in thanks to Owens, Taylor, Lewis, Boulware, and Law. However, not much talk about the happenings in Big D (which is a good thing).

For the last 5 to 6 years, Dallas fans have been subjected to cheering for one of the least talented teams in the NFL. The finger-pointing here goes straight to the top. Jerry Jones decided to go with bargain-basement coaches with horrendous drafts from 1995-2001. The way I see it, it took about 5 years to go to World Champions to the basement (1995 to 2000), and it should take nearly the same amount of time to get back on top. That being said, how Parcells got that 2003 team in the playoffs says more about the weakness of the NFC, rather than Dallas actually being good (as we found out last season).

The infusion of increasing talent has started in 2002 with Roy Williams, then progressed the following year with Newman, Witten, and Johnson. The 2004 draft class is still a very big question mark because the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th players picked never saw the field. One thing is for sure, Dallas hit it big with Julius Jones.

Now there is the 2005 infusion of draft picks and free agents - and everyone seems to be raving over many of these acquisitions. Don't forget, one of these 2005 acquisitions arrived in 2004 with Drew Henson as the 3rd round pick.

What leaves some Cowboy fans with "Guarded Optimism" is the fact that we fans do not know what the Cowboys truly have with the players from the past two drafts. This guarded optimism is fine by me.

What I truly love is this:

DALLAS HAS A FRONT OFFICE THAT IS DOING EVERYTHING THEY CAN TO WIN NOW AND FOR THE LONG HAUL.

I think it is safe to say that the Cowboys, at this moment are not where they need to be, but they sure are not where they used to be.

We will not truly know where the Cowboys are until they start lacing them up in about 12 days from now.

Regardless, I love what the Cowboys did this offseason.

parchy

Reaction score
Speaking of the off-season that takes an eternity... looking at other sports, nobody else has to endure the off-season from hell that football fans do... basketball's off-season is like 3-4 months, baseball's is 5 and football's is 7... I'm dyin' ovah hee!