My Realistic and Very Possible Wish List..

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
for the rest of the offseason:

Larry Allen restructures his contract and stays with the team
sign Julian Peterson
sign Josh Brown
sign Marcus Coleman
sign Keyshawn Johnson
sign Jerald Sowell

Larry may not be in his prime anymore, but he is still better than a lot of guards out there, and better than Kosier or Peterman..

Julian Peterson would be the most expensive of these guys, but we can afford him and he would be an incredible add..

Josh Brown would be cheaper than Vinatieri and Vanderjagt, and he is very good.. and young..

Marcus Coleman isn't great, but he would be an upgrade over Keith Davis and Justin Beriault.. we might be drafting a FS in the first round, but Coleman would be good, inexpensive insurance..

Keyshawn is someone I would love to have back.. Imagine TO, Glenn, Keyshawn, and Crayton.. what a great lineup of recievers, each bringing their own unique abilities.. and I love his attitude and leadership..

Jerald Sowell, like Coleman, isn't a stud, but he is solid and would be an upgrade over Polite.. maybe we find our fullback late in the draft (JD Runnells, anyone?), but again, Sowell would be an inexpensive insurance policy..

if we do these things before the draft, I think we will be sitting very very pretty.. thoughts?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
We have 12 million in cap room, that is enough to sign a kicker, Peterson, maybe Coleman and our draft picks. Keyshawn is quickly leaving the picture.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:

sign Julian Peterson
sign Josh Brown
sign Marcus Coleman
sign Keyshawn Johnson
sign Jerald Sowell

Larry may not be in his prime anymore, but he is still better than a lot of guards out there, and better than Kosier or Peterman..

Julian Peterson would be the most expensive of these guys, but we can afford him and he would be an incredible add..

Josh Brown would be cheaper than Vinatieri and Vanderjagt, and he is very good.. and young..

Marcus Coleman isn't great, but he would be an upgrade over Keith Davis and Justin Beriault.. we might be drafting a FS in the first round, but Coleman would be good, inexpensive insurance..

Keyshawn is someone I would love to have back.. Imagine TO, Glenn, Keyshawn, and Crayton.. what a great lineup of recievers, each bringing their own unique abilities.. and I love his attitude and leadership..

Jerald Sowell, like Coleman, isn't a stud, but he is solid and would be an upgrade over Polite.. maybe we find our fullback late in the draft (JD Runnells, anyone?), but again, Sowell would be an inexpensive insurance policy..

if we do these things before the draft, I think we will be sitting very very pretty.. thoughts?

I like the way you are thinking! :rolleyes:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score

Let's see Beriault play before we write him off.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:

sign Julian Peterson
sign Josh Brown
sign Marcus Coleman
sign Keyshawn Johnson
sign Jerald Sowell

I would love that, but JJ would have to borrow some money from the midget, and some of his under the cap tricks to get that done.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Let's see Beriault play before we write him off.
im not writing him off, I actually have high hopes for the guy.. BUT.. he is risky at this point.. do you want to go into training camp with only him and Davis as our FS options? Beriault hasnt even played FS, he is a SS.. that was injured all last year.. and has a history of injuries.. and is slow for a FS.. and hasnt played a down of NFL ball.. SO.. I would feel a lot better with Coleman.. like I said, inexpensive insurance.. we at least know that he is decent..

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
How about we look at tying up guys like Witten and Newman longterm before we waste our entire cap on a 1 year chance at a Super Bowl. After that, I am all for bringing in these guys.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
as far as the money issues go.. my understanding is that we have about $7 million to play with, not counting the draft.. $7 million to play with for free agency.. am I wrong on that?

if so.. restructuring LA's contract gives us a little more.. then maybe cutting a Singleton or a Polite in light of the new signings.. could we not get it up to about $10 million? Im just kinda talking outta my butt here, I really am not sure how it all works.. but $10 million I think would be enough to sign the guys Im talking about..

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:

sign Julian Peterson
sign Josh Brown
sign Marcus Coleman
sign Keyshawn Johnson
sign Jerald Sowell
It is an unlikely scenario but since we are in the dream season...why not? If we do the contracts right we could get them all. If we cut or restructure LA that would give us another 3.5 mil on top of the 12 mil we have left to play with and we could get some of this done. We might not get all of it but the only high dollar name in there is Peterson...well Keyshawn to but the longer he is out there the cheaper he gets and we could probably swing him as well. Some combination of these guys would really give us some flexibility in the draft to maybe trade up to go for a true impact player.

ghst187

Reaction score
dallasfaniac said:
How about we look at tying up guys like Witten and Newman longterm before we waste our entire cap on a 1 year chance at a Super Bowl. After that, I am all for bringing in these guys.

I agree, I think its harder to find chemistry the more FA's you bring in.
I think LA needs to restructure and stay for one more year.
I think the next priority should be a kicker, I don't mind if we pony up for Vinateri. We also need a FS, if Coleman is cheap then let's do it and also look in the draft for someone for long term.
Those and add in our rookies and that leaves us around 7 mil left.
Peterson would sap about 4-5 of that and only leave us 2-3 tops, which isn't enough to lock up everyone we need to lockup.
I think we can draft an exciting OLB like Lawson and skip shelling out a ton for Pete. I'd prefer to see Roy, TNew, James, and Witten finish their careers as Cowboys. Locking up those guys by frontloading their contracts this year would keep us able to have cap space in the years to come. I like that idea. Adding too many FA's just feels cheap.

demdcowboys#1

Reaction score
We dont need Keyshawn back(IMO)
We should draft an FS
We should get Peterson and Brown/Vandy, and rookie pool with the rest of our cap for free agency!!!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
EMMITTnROY said:
Actually LA is just another guy any more. Don't fool yourself.
Is he even healthy? Pre-injury I would agree. Now I doubt it.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
demdcowboys#1 said:
We dont need Keyshawn back(IMO)
We should draft an FS
We should get Peterson and Brown/Vandy, and rookie pool with the rest of our cap for free agency!!!

Rookie Pool accounted for

we take Vinitieri if we dont get Peterson and we take Brown if we do get Peterson.

Then since we saved a good 1-2 mil by taking brown over Vinitieri we can resign Witten, Williams, James, Newman (still has 3 year deal) to long term deals.

And in the end we still have enough room for Rookies and maybe even Coleman, as sowell is a wasted signing once we have coleman + a draft ahead . . .

Keyshawn is on the same boat if we get lucky and he comes cheap we will grab him since he wants to be a cowboy, is a good leader and a 4th reciever would be nice . . . highly unlikely.

demdcowboys#1

Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:
Rookie Pool accounted for

we take Vinitieri if we dont get Peterson and we take Brown if we do get Peterson.

Then since we saved a good 1-2 mil by taking brown over Vinitieri we can resign Witten, Williams, James, Newman (still has 3 year deal) to long term deals.

And in the end we still have enough room for Rookies and maybe even Coleman, as sowell is a wasted signing once we have coleman + a draft ahead . . .

Keyshawn is on the same boat if we get lucky and he comes cheap we will grab him since he wants to be a cowboy, is a good leader and a 4th reciever would be nice . . . highly unlikely.

For the rest of the offseason, I only want

K-Vinateri(left GB w/o contract) Vandy, or Brown
FS-most likely Coleman, KO Simpson???
LB- Peterson, Lawson???, Carpenter???

Bizwah

Reaction score
Can't argue with your list.

Here's mine.

Sign Josh Brown
Sign Julian Peterson

Begin extending the contracts of Witten, Roy, Newman, James.

Draft FS, OLB, OL, and WR......We need youth at these positions. I'm also not sure that Coleman would be an upgrade over Davis. Coleman's getting older and had a poor year last year.

Right now, we have a good, young defense.

I'd like to see us have a good, young offense.

We have youth at TE and RB.....that's petty much it. We have nice-looking prospects in Romo, Crayton, Kosier, and Peterman.

I read that Parcells wants to build the most talented roster in the NFL. I think we're slowly, but surely getting there.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
demdcowboys#1 said:
For the rest of the offseason, I only want

K-Vinateri(left GB w/o contract) Vandy, or Brown
FS-most likely Coleman, KO Simpson???
LB- Peterson, Lawson???, Carpenter???

K - we will get 1 of those three (i would say Vandy is out though)
FS - how bout both, or even Allen/Williams/Huff if we are lucky?
LB - the idea of trading for the 22 and 29 from denver is nice that way we could get Allen and Lawson/Carpenter. and the idea of Peterson is quite possible to, but like we've been saying since the start "only at the right price"

and since i say josh brown will be the kicker we will definately have $ for Witten, Williams, James and we dont needa worry bout newman who is on a 3 year deal.

Prediction:
Kicker - Josh Brown
FS - Allen & Coleman
LB - Carpenter or Peterson
QB - Some sort of trade for a Vet, cant rely on henson, romo or a 3rd or later round rookie . . .

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
We have 12 million in cap room, that is enough to sign a kicker, Peterson, maybe Coleman and our draft picks. Keyshawn is quickly leaving the picture.

If LA restructures obviously that opens up more cap room doesn't it? Also I'm sure Sowell would be dirt cheap and an immediate upgrade over polite.

Keyshawn would probably sign for a 2 mil, one year contract if he wants to be on a contender.....I don't see denver, KC, Carolina or any other playoff type of team offering anything more than that.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:

sign Julian Peterson
sign Josh Brown
sign Marcus Coleman
sign Keyshawn Johnson
sign Jerald Sowell

I would be more than happy to leave Coleman, Keyshawn, and Sowell off the list so we can save some money and upgrade from Josh Brown to Adam Vinatieri. :D

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Hopefully we can get Josh Brown. The seahawks can still match. I think we are waiting to see what shakes out with the John Abraham deal then give him a front loaded contract.
Keyshawn can't play special teams although he is a Parcells favorite. I think it's moot anyway about Keyshawn. KC, Miami, San Diego, someone will pay him starting WR money which is much more that we are willing to.
Teams don't seem to be beating down the door for Peterson but he is a quality defender that fits into our LB core as good as anyone left in free agency.