My roster

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
So, I was thinking about the 53 man roster. Things will change with training camp, but I was thinking how excited I am going into TC. I thought I'd give my hand to see how I could predict it. It sure is hard, and the only way I could do it is to start off with my sure things.
For sure makes

QB=3
1-Bledsoe
2-Henson
3-Romo

HB=3
1-Jones
2-Thomas
3-Barber

FB=1
1-Polite

WR=5
1-Johnson
2-Glenn
3-Morgan
4-Crayton
5-Copper

TE=3
1-Witten
2-Campbell
3-Ryan

OL=8
1-Adams
2-Allen
3-Johnson
4-Riveria
5-Vollers
6-Gurode
7-Peterman
8-Rogers

DL=7
1-Ellis
2-Glover
3-Ferguson
4-Ware (obviously he could be put at LB)
5-Spears
6-Canty
7-Ratliff

LB=5
1-Burnett
2-James
3-Nguyen
4-Thorton
5-Shanle

CB=6
1-Newman
2-Henry
3-Glenn
4-Hunter
5-Frazier
6-Thorton

S=5
1-Williams
2-Davis
3-Scott
4-Reese
5-Beriault

SP=3
1-Cundiff
2-McBriar
3-Robinson

That's 49 people that I am guessing are sure things.

That leaves 4 roster spots open for the following people

Thompson
Barnes
Crowder
Rector
Pettiti
Noll
Tucker
Walters
Carson
Coleman
Ogbogu
O'Neill
Fowler
Singleton
Goolsby
Frazier
N. Jones
Reeves

I got 18 people on my bubble list for 4 spots.

I think we are going to keep another DB, so either Jones or Reeves. Probably Reeves, leaving 3 left.

And we are probably going to keep at least another LB, but I don't know if
O'Neill, Fowler, Singleton or Goolsby. Probably Singleton, leaving 2 left.

And we probably going to keep another DL out Carson, Ogbogu, Coleman. Probably Ogbogu, leaving 1 left.

And we probably are going to keep one more lineman out of Pettiti, Tucker, Noll and Walters. Probably Tucker.

So, I think I might end up cutting these 13 guys:
Thompson
Barnes
Crowder
Rector
Pettiti
Noll
Walters
Carson
Coleman
O'Neill
Fowler
Goolsby
Frazier
N. Jones

Ouch. I don't know if I can make that call. I think out of those, I'd really like to keep one more LB (either O'Neill, Goolsby or Fowler... whichever could be the best special teamer), but I don't know were I cut someone else. I think the obvious place would be safety and only carry 4. So maybe Davis, Reese and Beriault inspire enough confidence to drop Scott for another LB or Frazier or Jones.

Then maybe we can get Rector, Crowder, Thompson and Petitti to Practice Squad.

Any thoughts on this? Disagreements?

I realize that we have to wait until training camp to make calls, but I thought I would do some prognostication to see how I would do.

One thing is for sure, there are going to be at least a dozen quality players cut from this squad, and that is both sad and uplifting given the quality of this team 5 seasons ago.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Tyson Thompson and Pettiti will make the team. I will also say only 4 Safties Reason is Hunter could be counted as either S or CB this year so keep 6 CB and 4 at S.

I think Goolsby will stay at LB

blindzebra

Reaction score
I don't think we will keep 5 safeties, depending on how Davis and Beriault look Scott or Reese get cut, or Beriault goes PS.

So you have 5 spots to play with and I think Noll or Petitti make the team and Tarullo might push Gurode off the roster, if not he will be on the PS.

I'd say Singleton and Fowler make the roster with Goolsby a darkhorse or PS.

Carson, Coleman and Van Hoy fight for a DL spot, Van Hoy to PS.

Thompson, Jamaica, Crowder and Pierce fight it out for that last spot and the 3 losers go to the PS.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Young LB over Singleton.

Size, Youth, ST requirements for the backups

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
I don't think we will keep 5 safeties, depending on how Davis and Beriault look Scott or Reese get cut, or Beriault goes PS.

So you have 5 spots to play with and I think Noll or Petitti make the team and Tarullo might push Gurode off the roster, if not he will be on the PS.

I'd say Singleton and Fowler make the roster with Goolsby a darkhorse or PS.

Carson, Coleman and Van Hoy fight for a DL spot, Van Hoy to PS.

Thompson, Jamaica, Crowder and Pierce fight it out for that last spot and the 3 losers go to the PS.
I really doubt we will put any of our Draft Picks from this year on the PS. Reason is any team can sign any player from your practice squad and there is nothing you can do about it and I don't think we will take that chance with any picks we made this year.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
There are alot of guys in your "for sure" list that are hardly "sure things".

blindzebra

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I really doubt we will put any of our Draft Picks from this year on the PS. Reason is any team can sign any player from your practice squad and there is nothing you can do about it and I don't think we will take that chance with any picks we made this year.

6th round rookies that could not make a 6-10 team are not sure things to not clear waivers.;)

That said, I think they all do make the final roster.

I think Reese gets cut at safety, and Gurode and Vollers get cut too.

It's a good thing when you start having tough decisions and former starters might get cut.

twa

Reaction score
Gurode and one safety[Scott?] will likely be gone...Vollers will stick unless the younguns show more than I expect. However I think Petitti and Noll will manage to stick.
As far as Singleton : I would not be in too big a hurry to get rid of what experience we have....Linebacker unit is already weak and green.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Linebacker unit was old and small and why we historicall get run over in Zimmer regime.

Change is good. We need playmakers.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
Kalen Thornton will get cut now that we have Ware IMO.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Tyson Thompson and Pettiti will make the team. I will also say only 4 Safties Reason is Hunter could be counted as either S or CB this year so keep 6 CB and 4 at S.

I think Goolsby will stay at LB

Tyson Thompson and Goolsby...the next Woody Dantler's and Clint Stoerner's..."cult" like hero's on the forum who really arnt NFL talents

if either made the practice squad, frankly that'd be an accomplishment...niether (especially Thompson) have much chance at the 53 man roster

David

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Tyson Thompson and Goolsby...the next Woody Dantler's and Clint Stoerner's..."cult" like hero's on the forum who really arnt NFL talents

if either made the practice squad, frankly that'd be an accomplishment...niether (especially Thompson) have much chance at the 53 man roster

David

Dude - don't normally do this but please install a spell checker.

Agree on those as total longshots to make team.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nors said:
Dude - don't normally do this but please install a spell checker.

its a football forum Nors, not a grammar, err grammer, err grammour err, whatever class

David

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I'm with you dude, I typo a lot on the fly myself. No harm no fowl.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
TheKey said:
Kalen Thornton will get cut now that we have Ware IMO.
I very, VERY seriously doubt that.

BP loves Thornton.
He's the only guy last year that BP (publicly) guaranteed would make the team before the first cuts were even made.

On another occasion, he praised Thornton's abilities and intelligence and said, "Kalen is going to be a good player for the Dallas Cowboys for years to come. I really think so."

He's a model 3-4 guy as well. BP is gonna keep those guys around since we're running short on those types to begin with.

These are the very reasons I've been so anxious to see Thornton take the field. When BP speaks about you like that and guarantees a roster spot for an URFA, that says something.