MY Roy Williams Thread

TEK2000

Reaction score
Yes, its another Roy Williams thread.. SURPRISE! And, unfortunately for you lazy people... its LONG.

Anyway, I'm hoping that most of you that know me know that I'm not going to waste the space of another thread with the same old stuff everyone else has been posting about moving Roy to LBer. I'm going to ATTEMPT to show a few things that will hopefully make you think a little more about Roy's situation.

1. First and foremost, Roy Williams is under a microscope for every play that he makes or misses. No passing defense has allowed more passing TD's during the 2006 season than the Washington Commanders. This is due in no small part to Sean Taylor and Adam Archuleta. Taylor allowed 4 TD's in the first 4 games alone (all to TE's I believe). Do we hear about this as much as we hear about Roy Williams being awful in coverage? NO!
Taylor allows 4 TD's in the first 4 games. Williams allowed only 3 TD's through the first TEN games! Yet, Williams is the one that is continually blasted by fans and the media.

2. I'm not going to sit here and attempt to say that coverage is Roy's strong suit. We ALL know its obviously not. BUT, when you compare Roy to other safeties around the league, its nowhere near as bad as many people try to make it seem.
Lets take the Jeremy Stevens TD as an example.
FIRST! Take a look at this video of Troy Polamalu vs Jeremy Stevens during Super Bowl XL.
CLICK HERE 4MB divx video

SECOND! Take a look at this video of Roy Williams vs Jeremy Stevens in our recent game against Seattle.
CLICK HERE 2.8MB divx video

What's the first thing you notice about these 2 videos?....
Its the SAME exact play in both videos. Its a play designed to get a matchup with Jeremy Stevens on a safety and have the WR do a pick on the safety. Stevens drives hard off the line as if he's running a deep route then cuts it off and runs an out. The results are exactly the same. The safety is peaking into the backfield and Stevens hits his out route and gets separation. Well designed play to get a favorable matchup for the Seahawks.

Does this excuse Roy Williams from giving up the play? Absolutely not. But, what it shows is that he's not the only Safety that is scored on. Its just that he's the only one that is highlighted for EVERY catch he gives up.

3. Roy Williams is blamed on plays where he is truly not at fault. On the 2nd Jeremy Stevens TD, Roy wasn't even covering Stevens. Roy was helping Newman cover the WR over the top. Bradie James was responsible for covering Stevens (yes, another favorable matchup for the Seahawks). Roy catches the blame because he happens to make it to Stevens before Bradie does.
Why is this true? Consider this: The RB runs out in motion and lines up wide before the ball is snapped. That winds up leaving a RB with Newman guarding him, and the WR with Bobby Carp guarding him, and Jeremy Stevens lined up at the TE position. There's 1 reciever to the far side with Henry guarding him. Right off the bat, this play is designed to exploit zone coverages. You wind up with Stevens running a deep route right up the middle of the field, the WR running deep as well which draws Roy to help Newman with him, and Carp has the zone in the flat where the RB goes. The Seahawks knew they'd have their TE being covered by our ILB and it worked for them... like it has for so many teams against us recently.

4. Roy to LBer? As I've posted many times already. I believe this is NOT the way to go. My thinking for this is primarily based on the assets that Roy has from playing in the OPEN FIELD as a safety. If you throw Roy Williams in as a LBer he'll be FORCED to take on blockers that outweigh him by 100+ pounds. As a LBer in the NFL you CANNOT run around blockers. RB's are too good for a LBer to be able to be successful by running around blockers. He'll be caught up in the traffic of the trenches and The Real Roy Williams will be gone forever. Roy's play recognition is 2nd to none. When healthy, he flies to the ball immediately when he's coming up to support the run and MAKES PLAYS. From the safety spot, he's not normally blocked by offensive linemen; he's usually being blocked by a FB or TE. When healthy, I'll take my chances with Roy versus a FB/TE and I expect he'll win that battle many times. The problem lately is that he isn't healthy... its obvious that he's wearing a shoulder brace and isn't unloading into people like the Roy Williams we know from previously.

5. We totally misuse Roy Williams. This problem is born out of 2 things. 1) The lack of a dependable FS to play deep centerfield rather than having to play cover 2 with Roy playing deep. Heck, we even had Roy playing the deep centerfield position when we faced New Orleans. We need a good FS to play that position rather than having Roy back there. 2) As Jon Kitna and various other Detroit Lions players stated, our defense REFUSES to adjust to what the offense is doing. What does this cause? MISMATCHES LIKE CRAZY. Sean Payton knew it, and after that EVERYONE knew it. This defense doesn't adjust! So, what does Payton and all the rest of the coaches after that do? They immediately get their offense into position to get mismatches on our players. A SHINING example of this is Roy Williams (Lions WR) being covered by Aaron Glenn man to man. We should have being doing EVERYTHING we could to avoid that matchup. You obviously can't avoid every mismatch, but you can certainly do a hell of a lot more than we did to avoid them.

Roy Williams should be played like a SS. He should be played exactly like Troy Polamalu was played last season when the Steelers had Chris Hope as their FS. Let him roam the field. Let him play within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage. Avoid having him in deep coverage whenever possible. Obviously, no SS ever gets to play STRICTLY close to the line and never cover... but when you minimize it, you minimize the risk of having your VERY GOOD player having to play in a position that exposes the weakest part of his game. Its like expecting the Denver OLine to all the sudden just win their individual matchups with brute force... they're not built like that.

6. The walking off from the media after the Seattle game. Well, sure, its not as upstanding as Tony Romo... but, personally, I completely understand why he does it. He gets absolutely no credit from the media for anything he does, then we expect him to stand there and act like he's hunky dory and everything is ok? I certainly would not be able to do that.

7. This defense does a pretty poor job of redirecting/jamming recievers at the line. In the NFL, if you let a reciever release without being touched, the reciever has an advantage over the cover guy right off the bat.
If we had guys that would cause the recievers problems in releasing from the line of scrimmage, it would benefit in 2 ways. 1) It takes longer for the reciever to run his route which WOULD FORCE THE QB TO HOLD THE BALL LONGER and allow our pass rush a split second longer to get to the QB. 2) It gets the reciever off their route and allows our coverage guys a split second longer to recognize that it is a pass play and begin moving in position to cover.

8. The missed tackle on Alexander when he shot into the backfield. VERY DISAPPOINTING! I expect more from Roy than that. He left his feet WAY too early and Alexander made a good move to avoid him.

I'm sure I'll think of more later on but that's it for now. Sorry for rambling some and making it so long.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
condensed version....

Roy is a gutlecs puce

(i spelled GUTLESS PUKE wrong as he would have in his love note to the media)

StevenOtero

Reaction score
chinch;1301455 said:
condensed version....

Roy is a gutlecs puce

:rolleyes: You are an idiot... period. I bet you didn't even read the whole thing.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
otero1;1301480 said:
:rolleyes: You are an idiot... period. I bet you didn't even read the whole thing.
congrats... you didn't misspell IDIOT as Roy would have ;)

i read it and await Adam to post all stats how great Roy is. ROTFLMAO

even Tuna sees Roy is deficient in coverage and such (something you homers will refute sounding like the 'skins fans saying how great the Brunell signing was)

StevenOtero

Reaction score
chinch;1301490 said:
congrats... you didn't misspell IDIOT as Roy would have ;)

i read it and await Adam to post all stats how great Roy is. ROTFLMAO

even Tuna sees Roy is deficient in coverage and such (something you homers will refute sounding like the 'skins fans saying how great the Brunell signing was)
Ahh the offseason. I don't know who you're trying to fool. There are 1,000s of these threads all during the offseason. Just by chance you don't know what I'm saying. I mean that all off-season long there is speculation. So you are just a tiny tiny tiny dot. Among a huge population of dots that speculate.. I hope my analogy points you in the right direction.;)

jimmy40

Reaction score
He gets absolutely no credit from the media for anything he does,

Well that BS makes the whole post worthless.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
chinch;1301455 said:
condensed version....

Roy is a gutlecs puce

nope no agenda here :rolleyes:

ddh33

Reaction score
I thought that was a very good post. I'm always surprised at how much blame Roy gets without ever receiving the proper amount of credit from the same fans. I guess to some folks consistency means hating everything that some players do...

I do believe that most of the problems with Roy stem from him being misused here. I think he's also very frustrated by that, and I think that's why he's a little less than cordial sometimes. You might be too if you knew that what you were doing wasn't best for either you or the team.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
jimmy40;1301497 said:
He gets absolutely no credit from the media for anything he does,

Well that BS makes the whole post worthless.

Can you find a positive roy williams article from this year?

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
ddh33;1301512 said:
i'm always surprised at how much blame Roy gets without ever receiving the proper amount of credit from the same fans. .
um....

he made the PROBOWL as a STARTER thanks to cowboy fans pretending he's a leader.

after he got toasted for his 2nd TD against i had to suffer thru a TV commercial with Roy.

give it up.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
BigDFan5;1301514 said:
i can't find too many positive ones about drew bledsoe at QB either, other than some charity or hometown feel-good article. ;)

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
chinch;1301523 said:
um....

he made the PROBOWL as a STARTER thanks to cowboy fans pretending he's a leader.

after he got toasted for his 2nd TD against i had to suffer thru a TV commercial with Roy.

give it up.

He didnt give up 2 TDs saturday

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
:D
chinch;1301525 said:
i can't find too many positive ones about drew bledsoe at QB either, other than some charity or hometown feel-good article. ;)

Which has nothing to do with the conversation at hand, but hey +1 to your post count huh

jimmy40

Reaction score
BigDFan5;1301514 said:
If he wasn't hyped to no end nobody would care that he can't cover.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
jimmy40;1301542 said:
If he wasn't hyped to no end nobody would care that he can't cover.

Couldnt find a single article could you?

I'm sorry 6 articles a week bashing him is not hype

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
More mindless Roy idolatry.

I've heard a lot being said about the FS, but that's bullcrap. Watkins did fine. The FS was not the problem against the Seahawks. It was the SS, Roy Williams. Quite honestly, its time for him to take some responsibility. I don't want to hear about how a quality FS will allow him to play in the box and either blitz or cover the flats on passing downs.

That's not what a safety does. You have LINEBACKERS for that. A safety is supposed to cover a deep zone and cover the TE; something that Roy is ridiculously inept at doing. You're telling me his job is to cover the flats or blitz on pass downs? If that's the case, why not just come out with 5 LBs? Roy is not a safety, not at his current frame. He either needs to shed 20 Lbs and become a safety who can cover, or he needs to be traded into a different system as a Cover 2 LB. Because in his current state, he is not a safety. He gave up 2 TDs against the Hawks. TWO. The Cover 2 play he got there late, the man coverage on the TE, he got destroyed and owned. He's the problem, not Watkins. Bradie, who has massive problems of his own, was merely his partner in crime. TEK, in the interests of fairness and not blind homerism, how 'bout making a vid of Roy's bad plays? Trust me, it would be voluminous and damning. Stop trying to turn this lemon into lemonade.

neosapien23

Reaction score
For all the people bashing Roy, they have to face the fact that the Cowboys are stuck with him. Will he ever be a great cover safety, probably not. I do feel that Roy could lose weight though. I cannot restate the importance of him getting down to 220 lbs again. Do I want the Cowboys to cut Roy? Of course not, but fans asking for him to shed some extra weight is not to much to ask. I would be extremely please if a slimmer and quicker Williams showed up next year. He has more than enough time to lose the weight.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
You know the post made great sense when BBgun jumps in to bash it