3) #87...John Beck, QB, BYU, 6' 2", 215
4) #118...Josh Beekman, OG, Boston College, 6' 2", 313
5) #149...Chris Henry, RB, Arizona, 5' 11", 230
6) #180...Paul Soliai, DT, Utah, 6' 4", 344
6) #185...Courtney Brown, CB, Cal Poly, 6' 2" 200
7) #193...Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame, 6' 5", 215
7) #215...Nick Leeson, LS, Va Tech, 6' 2", 255
7) #218...Nick Folk, K, Arizona, 6' 2", 225

I've revised it a bit based on better round projections and how things have changed a bit. Some things I haven't changed much.

1) #22...Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee, 6' 3", 210...As much as anything else this is a move for the future. Insurance in case either Owens hand doesn't recover, or he is not retained in June. I believe we will retain Owens, but both our WRs are older and their time with the team is limited. With a draft this deep we need to strike while the iron is hot. Good character kid with incredible skills.

2) #53...Justin Blalock, OG, Texas, 6'4", 329...I swear this round is the hardest to project because we don't know what CBs, OL, or DTs may fall. This is where a lot of LBs will be available, but not where I believe we will select one. Arron Sears and Ben Grubbs are rising up draft boards again. I am projecting Blalock to be there at 53 and be the pick. I'd be happy with any of the 3.

3) #87...Dan Bazuin, DE/OLB, Central Michigan, 6' 3", 266...He moved down a round in my projection but hasn't dropped out of my crosshairs. I believe this is a player Dallas is looking at very closely and wants to take. He has a non stop motor and good football instincts. Playing at a small school will drop him to us in the 3rd and he will be a steal. Dallas has 6 LBs on a 3-4 team if you don't count Greg Ellis as a LB. If Carpenter moves inside as many project this could be our SOLB for many years and a bookend for Ware.

4) #118...John Beck, QB, BYU, 6' 2", 215...Also drops one round for me, but not off my radar screen. The main reason to take Beck is that he most resembles in game style Tony Romo. I think it is important for the OL to have QBs behind them who play similar styles so that they don't have to completely alter how they block. Beck is smart, has a strong arm, and if Romo ever falters or leaves via Free Agency might be a good NFL QB. No matter what we do at QB, we can't ever not have a ready replacement when we lose the top guy.

5) #149...Doug Datish, C, Ohio State, 6'5" 295...He played OT before last year, but moved inside when Nick Mangold left for the NFL. He might rise on some draft board, but for now he is slotted by the 3 sites I am checking as a 5th rounder. Gurode is out only Center right now, here's his backup and he can play at both OG spots and maybe even OT as well if need be. Vesatility is vital to an OL. Smart kid who if he gets stronger can be a real asset. Getting stronger is a definite need for him, but with that frame is there any doubt he can?

6) #180...Michael Bush, RB, Louisville, 6'3", 247...He lost all but one game in 2006 to injury, then this off season had another surgery on his leg. He's going to fall down draft boards because of it. With 5 picks in the last 2 rounds he's worth the gamble. If he had not got hurt he probably would have been a 1st round pick. Similar to Chris Canty, his stock has fallen due only to injury.

6) #185...Joe Newton, TE, Oregon State, 6'7" 257...If Brett Pierce doesn't return we only have 2 TEs on the roster. I don't count Tony Curtis. He lost his Junior yea rot injury but came back strong last year as a Senior. His receiving skills are better than his blocking skills, especially in the Red Zone where hsi size makes him a true weapon.

7) #193...Anthony Waters, ILB, Clemson, 6'3", 245...Perfect replacement for Fowler who may prove to be more natural in the 3-4 at ILB than he was.

7) #215...Bo Smith, CB, Weber State, 5'10", 193...Fast and fluid, but lacks experience to make him move up most draft boards. Plays well in space, but lacks some strength which he would need to work on. Solid on Special Teams and could land there or the Practice Squad. Worth the risk in round 7.

7) #218...Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame, 6' 5", 215...I still believe he is a gamble worth taking. If for no other reason than to trade his rights. But imagine him and Meachem as a tandem if he did decide the bright lights of Dallas were worth taking his shot at football. I did move him down my list since I am also taking a chance with Bush in the 6th.

Okay, let me have it. Rip it up, cuss it and me. Share your thoughts.

I have one more thought. Can you imagine if any of us ever in all these projections got all 10 picks right? Or at least a majority, say 6 of the 10? Fun to think about, but the draft is too unpredictable to ever project that well. I like thinking about it though and I'll never stop trying.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Change Bazuin to Robison and I'll jump on that train.......

oh and instead of that baseball player at the end..........LB Jacob Ford Central Arkansas

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I'd love Blalock in two; not sure if he'll drop that far though.

I'd love to pick up Bush that late as well though I'm betting he'll get snatched up in the annual 4th round 'catch the falling star' run.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Biggems;1446710 said:
Change Bazuin to Robison and I'll jump on that train.......

oh and instead of that baseball player at the end..........LB Jacob Ford Central Arkansas
Not in the 3rd round. All 3 sites I am looking at project him in the 5th, assuming you mean the DE from Texas.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Avery;1446731 said:
I'd love Blalock in two; not sure if he'll drop that far though.

I'd love to pick up Bush that late as well though I'm betting he'll get snatched up in the annual 4th round 'catch the falling star' run.
I was debating which of Sears, Blalock, and Grubbs would fall there. I like Grubbs a little better, but I'd take any of the 3.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Hostile;1446753 said:
Not in the 3rd round. All 3 sites I am looking at project him in the 5th, assuming you mean the DE from Texas.

Almost all the mocks I have seen have him in the 3rd.....some have him in the 4th...and one even has him in the second.....

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/draftdata.php

this link gives a ton of mock sites to look at.....

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Biggems;1446770 said:
Almost all the mocks I have seen have him in the 3rd.....some have him in the 4th...and one even has him in the second.....

http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/draftdata.php

this link gives a ton of mock sites to look at.....
Here are the sites I was using and where they have him.

http://www.nflreport.com/Draft_Prospects_DE.htm

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6421474

http://www.drafttek.com/fifthround.html

All 3 are the 5th round and all 3 have Bazuin in the 3rd. I won't tell you where to take him, but for me, Bazuin in the 3rd over him is a no way I'd change my mind option.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;1446767 said:
Nose Tackle?

More important than a 3rd string QB to me
Didn't like any when the time came to make a decision. I looked at DT in all 7 rounds and simply liked other players better.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
We got to get someone in there imo. If not Soliai. someone else.

Maybe even take 2 with both 6th round picks(I just decided im going to do that in my mock)

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like it for the most part but instead of taking a one year chance on a WR that has stated he is going to play baseball...even if it is with our last 7th round pick.

Personally I would rather take a chance on a large D or O lineman that needs developed a great deal. I would rather take that chance on getting a backup lineman over someone we probably will not get to come and play and lose him next year anyways.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1446892 said:
I like it for the most part but instead of taking a one year chance on a WR that has stated he is going to play baseball...even if it is with our last 7th round pick.

Personally I would rather take a chance on a large D or O lineman that needs developed a great deal. I would rather take that chance on getting a backup lineman over someone we probably will not get to come and play and lose him next year anyways.
It wouldn't bother me either way. No guts, no glory.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;1446954 said:
It wouldn't bother me either way. No guts, no glory.

Sometimes there is a difference between courageous and silly.

IMO taking JS would be silly.

lostinomiya

Reaction score
Those first two round picks - do you think they will contribute much this year if picked?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
lostinomiya;1447011 said:
Those first two round picks - do you think they will contribute much this year if picked?
I think all the rookies taken this year will have limited contributions, but those contributions are valuable training for long successful careers. Although Blalock, Sears, or Grubbs might be a better option at LG than Kosier sooner than people might think.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
I'm on board with the Meachem, Bazuin, and Beck selections. I'm not on board with Blalock.

Given the fact we just dumped a ton of money on Davis, I don't like Blalock in the 2nd round.

I don't mind Datish as a depth pick (he isn't going to start after we just gave all that money to Gurode), but I don't think he will be there in the 5th round. I see him as a late 3rd to 4th round pick as the 3rd center off the board. He can start, and some team will need that.

Instead of looking at interior lineman when we have good young players starting and locked into long contract, I'd rather look at some developmental players at tackle in the mid-later rounds. Maybe a guy like Alan Barbre or Chase Johnson or Julius Wilson.

Also, I think you're right about taking flyers on Bush and the Shark. I doubt our 6th and 7th round picks have a good chance of making this team anyhow. So why not take flyers on first round talents in the 7th round? It is a no-brainer really. Unfortunately, I think every team in the league thinks the same way. We aren't the only ones thinking about that. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone take Bush in the 5th.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cobra;1447052 said:
I'm on board with the Meachem, Bazuin, and Beck selections. I'm not on board with Blalock.

Given the fact we just dumped a ton of money on Davis, I don't like Blalock in the 2nd round.

I don't mind Datish as a depth pick (he isn't going to start after we just gave all that money to Gurode), but I don't think he will be there in the 5th round. I see him as a late 3rd to 4th round pick as the 3rd center off the board. He can start, and some team will need that.

Instead of looking at interior lineman when we have good young players starting and locked into long contract, I'd rather look at some developmental players at tackle in the mid-later rounds. Maybe a guy like Alan Barbre or Chase Johnson or Julius Wilson.

Also, I think you're right about taking flyers on Bush and the Shark. I doubt our 6th and 7th round picks have a good chance of making this team anyhow. So why not take flyers on first round talents in the 7th round? It is a no-brainer really. Unfortunately, I think every team in the league thinks the same way. We aren't the only ones thinking about that. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone take Bush in the 5th.
2nd round I was looking at NT, OG, OT, and CB. The more I looked at it the more my gut said go with OG. Ben Grubbs is actually my favorite OG option and I like Sears too, but I had to figure out which one of them I thought might drop. Blalock ended up being the one I felt would drop.

I almost did add Barbre to this list. If you know more about him than I do I could be swayed to him very easily.

I like Doug Datish. That is a potential day 2 pick I think would have me pumping my fist.

blindzebra

Reaction score
OT bigger need than G, MCQ has a Parcells pet written all over him...remember how Petitti turned out...Flo is a year older, inconsistent, and in his final year of his contract. We have to add an OT early in this draft, IMO.

NT is the number one need we have, we absolutely have to address it, even if we have to go off our board in the middle rounds to do it.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
cobra;1447052 said:

I was pretty high on Chase Johnson as a late round pick until he put up 14 reps on the bench.

Granted, those tall guys with long arms struggle with the bench, but 14 is pretty weak.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A corner not taken until round 7? Hmm.

No NT's taken? Double "hmm".