My starting OL for this season

baltcowboy

Reaction score
My starting OL as follows:
Smith LT, Bass LG, Hoffman C, Martin RG, Steele RT
This line looks pretty good but they will take another player or two.
If the draft falls a certain way I could see the Cowboys not drafting a left tackle or interior lineman in the first round. The Cowboys have so many needs.

morasp

Reaction score
I don’t hate Mims.

But you’re expecting an often injured guy who has 8 career starts (not just one year, 8 total) to come in, grasp the system and switch to LT? I don’t see it with him or Guyton

I don’t see many guys coming into the league as RTs and switching to LT day one
Those are all good points that I've thought about and don't really have a definitive answer for. I'll even add another question mark, could he slide inside to guard if needed.

As far as injury I found two ankle sprains and and sore hamstring at the combine. Any injury concerns me, Jordan Morgan's injury history is also pretty substantial.

Lance thinks he could play left or right tackle and he didn't say that about Fuaga who he thought should stay on the right.
"Mims has more development to go, but he’s a Day 1 prospect with the traits and talent to be considered at either tackle position. "
He also thinks the Blake Fisher is athletic enough to switch to LT
"Fisher needs to do a better job with consistency and finishing blocks, but he has the tape and tools to become a starter at either tackle spot."

Troy Fautanu could slide in to gaurd if needed and he said they even discussed it with him at his formal interview. That leads me to think that Tyler staying at OG isn't set in stone

The 8 games of experience and switching to the left will most likely slow his development. I don't know how long it will take but I will say his technique sounds more developed than Tyler's who everyone I read thought was so raw technique wise he would have to sit at least a year before he would see the field.

Mims

* Outstanding combination of size, length and proportionality.

* Fits into his drive blocks with good bend and a lift for leverage.

* Plays with deliberate hand placement and runs feet through contact.

* Keeps weight on inside half when sliding out to rusher.

* Uses direct punch with inside hands and/or aggressive gather-and-snatch.

* Strong hands and pure mass help tone down power rushers.

* Adequate recovery tools to fight back when beaten.

Tyler

* Overall play is raw and undisciplined. * Pass protection technique needs overhaul. * Fails to maintain a grounded, balanced base. * Hands swing way out wide and rarely catch rusher's frame. * Defaulted to holding penalties at an alarming rate. * Fails to finish his block at times. * Doesn't play with consistent body control as run blocker. * Allows defender to cross his face and penetrate the gap.

Another option is to just move Tyler to LT and draft someone that could come in and play at a high level or at least compete for LG early on.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
LT - round 1 draft choice
LG - Tyler Smith
C - Huffman or
RG - Martin
RT - Steele

I think rounds 2-3 in the draft go to defense and RB.

nycowboyfan

Reaction score
What looks good about this?
Nothing!!! Maybe we can get away with either bass or Hoffman starting. If both. Were dead. I’m hoping we have a LT on the board on first we like. And then grab a center in 3rd. Or hopefully 4th if we can add a pick. And have a center competition. I really want Tyler to stay at guard. He can be all world at Guard.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
My starting OL as follows:
Smith LT, Bass LG, Hoffman C, Martin RG, Steele RT
This line looks pretty good but they will take another player or two.
Kinda what i would think....but Dallas needs to get a C and T/G in the draft first three rounds who could make immediate impact. Especially C. I think Bass will be fine.