My takes on the Draft so far...

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
FWIW

I agree with Jerry Jones on one thing. I do believe that we could lineup and play football with what we have. With the additions of our FA's this year (Davis, Hamlin, etc.), I believe that we would be ok.

Did we get a "glamorous" pick as in a franchise QB, a #1 WR, or a 30+ carry per game RB? No. What we got was players that have a great chance of helping this franchise starting next year.

Was it an exciting draft? No. Not really. Was it a little boring. Yea, for the most part. But was it a helpful draft? Yes, I believe so. And we still have the rest of the draft to go.

If I have my info correct, we started out with the following:
Rd 1 - 22
Rd 2 - 53
Rd 3 - 87
Rd 4 - 122
Rd 5 - 159
Rd 6 - 195
Rd 6 - 200
Rd 7 - 212
Rd 7 - 234
Rd 7 - 237

And so far have ended up with:
Rd 1 - 26 - Anthony Spencer
Rd 3 - 67 - James Marten
Rd 4 - 103 - From Cleveland
Rd 4 - 122 -
Rd 6 - 178 - From Cleveland
Rd 6 - 200 -
Rd 7 - 212 -
Rd 7 - 234 -
Rd 7 - 237 -
**Rd 1 - ? - 2008**

Again, glamorous? No

Helpful. IMO yes.

Just my two cents.

Thoughts?

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark;1476197 said:
I agree with Jerry Jones on one thing. I do believe that we could lineup and play football with what we have. With the additions of our FA's this year (Davis, Hamlin, etc.), I believe that we would be ok.

Did we get a "glamorous" pick as in a franchise QB, a #1 WR, or a 30+ carry per game RB? No. What we got was players that have a great chance of helping this franchise starting next year.

Was it an exciting draft? No. Not really. Was it a little boring. Yea, for the most part. But was it a helpful draft? Yes, I believe so. And we still have the rest of the draft to go.

If I have my info correct, we started out with the following:
Rd 1 - 22
Rd 2 - 53
Rd 3 - 67
Rd 4 - 122
Rd 5 - 159
Rd 6 - 195
Rd 6 - 200
Rd 7 - 212
Rd 7 - 234
Rd 7 - 237

And so far have ended up with:
Rd 1 - 26 - Anthony Spencer
Rd 3 - 67 - James Marten
Rd 4 - 103 - From Cleveland
Rd 4 - 122 -
Rd 6 - 178 - From Cleveland
Rd 6 - 200 -
Rd 7 - 212 -
Rd 7 - 234 -
Rd 7 - 237 -
**Rd 1 - ? - 2008**

Again, glamorous? No

Helpful. IMO yes.

Just my two cents.

Thoughts?

What really pisses me off is this draft is so deep, and there were still PLENTY of talented players left in the 2nd that would have went in the first round in other years, and instead of trading up our numerous late round picks, what do we do? Trade OUT of the 2nd round. What the hell? I dont really like the Spencer pick to begin with, but to add to it we traded down AGAIN when there were still good players left. I am VERY disappointed that we let Chris Houston, Sidney Rice, and Dwayne Jarrett all go in the 2nd and didnt even make a move for them.

Pappa Cheeto

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;1476242 said:
What really pisses me off is this draft is so deep, and there were still PLENTY of talented players left in the 2nd that would have went in the first round in other years, and instead of trading up our numerous late round picks, what do we do? Trade OUT of the 2nd round. What the hell? I dont really like the Spencer pick to begin with, but to add to it we traded down AGAIN when there were still good players left. I am VERY disappointed that we let Chris Houston, Sidney Rice, and Dwayne Jarrett all go in the 2nd and didnt even make a move for them.

Just about every analyst said that this was a weak draft and that a lot of players that would be drafted in the first this year would be seconds in most other years.

So we have two first round picks in a presumably deeper draft and everyone is complaining?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score

I disagree. This draft had very nice talent in the top ten, then a drop off, then a maaaaaajor drop off after 45. This is one of the least deep drafts in the last 3-4 years.

It would have cost more to trade up into the higher second round than it would have been worth. We would have ended up drafting 4 players all draft.

That's a Commanders draft.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Pappa Cheeto;1476252 said:
Just about every analyst said that this was a weak draft and that a lot of players that would be drafted in the first this year would be seconds in most other years.

So we have two first round picks in a presumably deeper draft and everyone is complaining?

That is the best thing IMO.

If there is a player that we need/want, we have two shots for them or, even a trade up with both first round picks.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What really pisses me off is this draft is so deep, and there were still PLENTY of talented players left in the 2nd that would have went in the first round in other years, and instead of trading up our numerous late round picks, what do we do? Trade OUT of the 2nd round.
The Cowboy brass disagrees with you. We traded down the 53 pick because we didn't feel like we could draft a player there that was worth the 53rd pick. Your assessment that this was a strong draft is a minority opinion. After the top 18 or so picks, there wasn't a big difference in the next 40 players. There are/were many guys we wanted in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds. A trade down make good sense so we did it. All this isn't just my opinion, it's straight from Jones or Phillips. They talked about it all day on the ticket.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
If you look at the overall net result of our wheeling and dealing so far here is what we have essentially done:

1. Moved down 4 spots in the first and still got the player we would have taken anyway.

2. Traded our number 2 this year for a number 1 next year (probably a high pick).

3. Moved up from the 5th round (#159) to the 4th round (#103)

4. Moved up in the 6th round from #195 to #178

No way do I see any of this as a bad deal for Dallas when you look at the net effect of the deals made.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Dude, all that trading was pretty exciting, I thought.

And the excitement about absolutely raping Cleveland was phenomenal.

Oh, and I was a Spencer troll, so that was great. Maybe it's just me, but I find pass-rushers just as exciting as WRs or RBs.

sago1

Reaction score
Our 6th & 7th rounds picks aren't worth much in serious trading. There are more valuable in the 2nd day particularly moving up into the 5th round. The reality is that many teams had more picks then we did and used them. Can't believe SF has 8 picks in the first 4 rounds.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
imo we blew this draft when we traded back into the 1st round and took Spencer!!! i couldve lived with just taking Quinn at 22nd, noone couldve argued that wasnt a steal getting Brady Quinn at 22. if we wouldve stayed the course after the cleveland trade it wouldve been ok too, but oh well, oh and btw im not crazy about the Marten pick either.

kTXe

On To The Next One
Reaction score
JackMagist;1476470 said:
If you look at the overall net result of our wheeling and dealing so far here is what we have essentially done:

1. Moved down 4 spots in the first and still got the player we would have taken anyway.

2. Traded our number 2 this year for a number 1 next year (probably a high pick).

3. Moved up from the 5th round (#159) to the 4th round (#103)

4. Moved up in the 6th round from #195 to #178

No way do I see any of this as a bad deal for Dallas when you look at the net effect of the deals made.
AND we moved up from the tail end of the third round to the third pick in that round.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark;1476197 said:
Did we get a "glamorous" pick as in a franchise QB, a #1 WR, or a 30+ carry per game RB?

Thoughts?

My thought is there has never been such a RB.