CFZ My Theory on Jalen Tolbert

Pass2Run

Reaction score
After the 2022 draft, Dallas Cowboys fans fast-forwarded to the future, and Jalen Tolbert was the day 1 starter.

Now, in 2023, they rewind, and it just never came to be.

Most had high hopes for Tolbert going into preseason, so the question is: why?

Why didn't Jalen Tolbert win the starting spot in 2023.

In my opinion, it comes down to experience.

If you know about Tolbert's sports history, he mostly played baseball in his youth. It wasn't until the 11th grade that Tolbert started dabbling in football. During his freshman year, he tallied just 5 receptions for 60 years; his sophomore year he was 27 for 521; during his junior year he caught 64 passes for 1,085 yards, and ended his college career with 84 catches totaling 1,474 yards, according to sports-reference.com.

After the draft, we all heard about how Tolbert was a standout in camp. He probably was. Unless you don't believe the testimony of people attending camp. Then there was preseason. And we saw maybe a little glimpse of what Tolbert could do on a single pass play for 17 yards, I believe it was.

Then, he played a handful of plays versus the Bears, and it never really amounted to much. But if you consider he made a considerable leap every year in college, then it's reasonable to expect he might turn things around after an off-season in 2023.

It's not like he never got open. There were times when he was wide open, sometimes for a touchdown even. But Dak was often looking at something else on the field.. I look for Tolbert to be a bigger part of the offense next season if he can digest the playbook and the speed of the NFL.

McCarthy also told the media he had a hamstring issue, so maybe there was something to that. Or maybe there wasn't. Either way, while it's still too early to judge; it's likely also to risky to sit on your hands and avoid drafting a receiver in the 2023 NFL draft.

Rayman70

Reaction score
he will have a nice training camp I think. I like the kid. He seems smart and has his head right. I think he can replace Gallup at some point. Lets face it, that won't be very hard. MG hasn't been great.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
After the 2022 draft, Dallas Cowboys fans fast-forwarded to the future, and Jalen Tolbert was the day 1 starter.

If you know about Tolbert's sports history, he mostly played baseball in his youth. It wasn't until the 11th grade that Tolbert started dabbling in football. During his freshman year, he tallied just 5 receptions for 60 years; his sophomore year he was 27 for 521; during his junior year he caught 64 passes for 1,085 yards, and ended his college career with 84 catches totaling 1,474 yards, according to sports-reference.com.

After the draft, we all heard about how Tolbert was a standout in camp. He probably was. Unless you don't believe the testimony of people attending camp. Then there was preseason. And we saw maybe a little glimpse of what Tolbert could do on a single pass play for 17 yards, I believe it was.

Then, he played a handful of plays versus the Bears, and it never really amounted to much. But if you consider he made a considerable leap every year in college, then it's reasonable to expect he might turn things around after an off-season in 2023.

It's not like he never got open. There were times when he was wide open, sometimes for a touchdown even. But Dak was often looking at something else on the field.. I look for Tolbert to be a bigger part of the offense next season if he can digest the playbook and the speed of the NFL.

McCarthy also told the media he had a hamstring issue, so maybe there was something to that. Or maybe there wasn't. Either way, while it's still too early to judge; it's likely also to risky to sit on your hands and avoid drafting a receiver in the 2023 NFL draft.
All I can remember (granted I didnt pay much attention to pre-season) was the inability to get second foot down in the endzone and all of a sudden he became the ginger haired stepson of the roster.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he can replace Gallup at some point. Lets face it, that won't be very hard. MG hasn't been great.
I guess people forget how good Gallup was pre-injury. Tolbert better be VERY good if he is starting job over Gallup. Because Gallup will be completely healthy by summer. Don't get me wrong I hope Tolbert is ready to become a starter in this league. But I'm not sure he is up to the task this year. Definitely not last year.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

The other thing is that WRs usually take time to learn the game. Especially coming from a small school like Southern Alabama. I think we will see him put it together, but he does need patience.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I guess people forget how good Gallup was pre-injury. Tolbert better be VERY good if he is starting job over Gallup. Because Gallup will be completely healthy by summer. Don't get me wrong I hope Tolbert is ready to become a starter in this league. But I'm not sure he is up to the task this year. Definitely not last year.
he had his moments but nothing I would call good. He had flashes. MG is very replaceable.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Wide receiver is actually one of the easier positions to learn.
yes,agree. I have never understood all the unabashed MG luv here. The guy has flashed but never been consistent. Tolbert just needs to show anything SLIGHTLY BETTER than he, and the kid will get reps.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Wide receiver is actually one of the easier positions to learn.
The position, yes, the speed of the game, however, is where I think he was struggling. I think he will be better this season for having had a season to learn.

lkelly

Reaction score
Can anyone clarify these flashes? Did he drop trou in front of Larry Lacewell or something? On the surface he looks like a wasted pick and they better correct that mistake ASAP instead of occupying a roster spot for a guy that can’t even seem to play special teams. Maybe he works hard at being gunner?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
My theory is he wasn't physical enough. I tired to closely watch his very few reps and at times he sort of shied away from contact, or tried to block only very half-heartedly. And if you aren't physical, you don't have much use on special teams. Which means you're inactive every week.

Not sure how much that can be developed, either. He is pretty slight of build for an NFL player, so maybe a year in the weight room will help some.