My Thoughts 4.3

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It looks like Dallas is going for a run at a title this yr. The signings of Quinn, Cobb and Witten have eaten up cap that theres very little left if the intention is to resign Lawrence.

They can extend Cooper because his caphit is more then what it would be in an extension and its first yr caphit. Which will probably be around 5-8mil. So Dallas will save money there but not enough to be able to extend Dak. What they could do with the money saved is restructure and extend Elliot.

What does that mean for Dak? It means he has a yr to prove he deserves to be paid with the Brees, and Rodgers. Or if he's just along for the ride in the ever running overpaid QBs market.

What i think is gonna happen is Lawrence will be resigned, and then they go to Cooper and get that deal done saving money and then going to Elliot and getting him done long term. Then its up to Dak to prove his worth. And then come 2020 they will franchise him and work out a deal.

In terms of this yr, its very exciting for me because they got a legit shot at winning it all with Lawrence back. With the way they been drafting there no doubt in my mind they will be one of the favorites. This team really has no big needs. Everything they do in the draft is extra ammo for the win.

With Jones, Brown, Heath all due to be FAs next yr i think this team is already making plans for it and going to get atleast 2 DBs in the draft. Keep an eye on Jonathon Abram, Juan Thornhill, Isaiah Johnson, and Chris Westry. I actually think Abram or Thornhill will be the target in round 2. Both will probably need a trade up most likely. Dallas does have a comp pick to play with. Dallas has been in love with Johnson for awhile and would probably need to drafted in the 3rd if they want him. But Westry is the one that is the most intriguing because of his height and the speed(4.31 40).

Iloka is not guaranteed a spot on this team, 300k to cut him is nothing. I think he was brought in as insurance incase they missed out on the S' they like in the draft. Same with guys like Covington and Kerry. Think this team is looking for DTs aswell.

Gregory it looks like is gonna be playing in 2019. Dallas is making a strong pitch as is NE to get this rule changed in so some form.

ON last weeks Cowboys Break they talked about Cedrick Wilson. Apparently he has transformed his body and gained 10lbs of muscle. And apparently Devin Smith looks healthy again. If this guy can come back watch out.

Think Dallas set them up to replace La'el if he still struggles with resigning Fleming. Dallas could then extend Fleming at a price thats good for the team, and good for Fleming. Dallas already knows it has a player capable of starting in Fleming. With a guy like Collins leaving in FA Dallas would get a 4th comp pick depending on his contract. Which will most likely net them that 4th round pick.

Dallas has set itself up with a crazy amount of depth and thats before the draft. As i said its a very enjoyable time for me being a fan of this team.

You are waaaaay off base. First of all, the 20 million for Lawrence is already factored into the 7 million cap left. So if they can sign him to a long term deal, then the bonus will be prorated over the life. So his cap this year could be as low as 10 million. Do the same thing with Dak and you can sign them both THIS year.

Zeke it makes no sense at all to sign him.

Little Jr

Reaction score
The way he's working witgh his agent and wanting a huge guarantee in a 5 yr deal i think they'd have to be atleast 17mil in yr 1
Just because they want 17m in year one doesn't mean his cap hit will be 17m.

Little Jr

Reaction score
It looks like Dallas is going for a run at a title this yr. The signings of Quinn, Cobb and Witten have eaten up cap that theres very little left if the intention is to resign Lawrence.

They can extend Cooper because his caphit is more then what it would be in an extension and its first yr caphit. Which will probably be around 5-8mil. So Dallas will save money there but not enough to be able to extend Dak. What they could do with the money saved is restructure and extend Elliot.

What does that mean for Dak? It means he has a yr to prove he deserves to be paid with the Brees, and Rodgers. Or if he's just along for the ride in the ever running overpaid QBs market.

What i think is gonna happen is Lawrence will be resigned, and then they go to Cooper and get that deal done saving money and then going to Elliot and getting him done long term. Then its up to Dak to prove his worth. And then come 2020 they will franchise him and work out a deal.

In terms of this yr, its very exciting for me because they got a legit shot at winning it all with Lawrence back. With the way they been drafting there no doubt in my mind they will be one of the favorites. This team really has no big needs. Everything they do in the draft is extra ammo for the win.

With Jones, Brown, Heath all due to be FAs next yr i think this team is already making plans for it and going to get atleast 2 DBs in the draft. Keep an eye on Jonathon Abram, Juan Thornhill, Isaiah Johnson, and Chris Westry. I actually think Abram or Thornhill will be the target in round 2. Both will probably need a trade up most likely. Dallas does have a comp pick to play with. Dallas has been in love with Johnson for awhile and would probably need to drafted in the 3rd if they want him. But Westry is the one that is the most intriguing because of his height and the speed(4.31 40).

Iloka is not guaranteed a spot on this team, 300k to cut him is nothing. I think he was brought in as insurance incase they missed out on the S' they like in the draft. Same with guys like Covington and Kerry. Think this team is looking for DTs aswell.

Gregory it looks like is gonna be playing in 2019. Dallas is making a strong pitch as is NE to get this rule changed in so some form.

ON last weeks Cowboys Break they talked about Cedrick Wilson. Apparently he has transformed his body and gained 10lbs of muscle. And apparently Devin Smith looks healthy again. If this guy can come back watch out.

Think Dallas set them up to replace La'el if he still struggles with resigning Fleming. Dallas could then extend Fleming at a price thats good for the team, and good for Fleming. Dallas already knows it has a player capable of starting in Fleming. With a guy like Collins leaving in FA Dallas would get a 4th comp pick depending on his contract. Which will most likely net them that 4th round pick.

Dallas has set itself up with a crazy amount of depth and thats before the draft. As i said its a very enjoyable time for me being a fan of this team.
20m for a first year cap hit for Dak is stretching it also.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Do you need me to explain it any further?

Who paid Mack in 2018 and what team did he play for? Chicago. So extending his contract past the pending 2018 contract he already had effectively made it a 7 year deal for approx 150MM. Chicago used the extension because they wanted the 2018 numbers in place, which is probably what Dallas with do with Dak Prescott.

ksg811

Reaction score
Ill explain it for you

Raiders traded mack to chi with 1 yr remaining on his rookie deal.

Mack was then extended not restructured. So he was extended 6 yrs

Mack went into 2018 with a 7mil caphit for chicago which took his base and added his prorated for the extension. Oakland was responsible for his prorated.

his extension is yrs 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024...simple math will tell you thats 6 yrs.

UFA in 2025

Do you need me to explain it any further?

You're still wrong. I'll break it down for you.

Oakland held Mack's rights under the 5th year option, which held no guaranteed money (in this particular case) until a game was played. He was then traded to Chicago.

Chicago acquired him at his 5th year option salary of $13.8M. None of which was the responsibility of the Raiders.

Chicago then signed Mack to a 6/141 deal, which factored with his option created a new 7/ 154.8M deal.

His 1st year cap hit of the new deal was 13.8M, a 7M base salary and $6.8M of his prorated 34M signing bonus, all of which was responsible to Chicago in cash and cap.

Do you need any further explanation?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
those days are over. if you look at contracts now agents are looking for money on the front end.
I tried to delete the post it wouldn't let me. I was thinking of something else

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think this team has a few needs. We seriously need another back who can carry the load because if we lose Elliot, I think we are done. I think we seriously need help at Backup QB. If we lose Dak, we are done. I think we need help on the DL. We need two quality DTs IMO and we need a quality DE if we can't get DLaw signed. Other then that, I really like our team and our depth. I know some might say Safety but I guess we'll see.

visionary

Reaction score
I think this team has a few needs. We seriously need another back who can carry the load because if we lose Elliot, I think we are done. I think we seriously need help at Backup QB. If we lose Dak, we are done. I think we need help on the DL. We need two quality DTs IMO and we need a quality DE if we can't get DLaw signed. Other then that, I really like our team and our depth. I know some might say Safety but I guess we'll see.

Voice of reason

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
They don't need to make Dak's 2019 cap hit low because they have many other contracts that can be restructured.

They could have 28M in cap space tomorrow by restructuring the top 4 contracts that have more than 1 year remaining.

Making Dak's 1st year cap hit low:
They can give him a smaller signing bonus but give him a large guaranteed bonus to be paid in March of 2020 or they can guarantee large base salaries in future years.

A 10M signing bonus plus 1M base salary would result in a 3M cap hit for 2019.

I doubt if Dak plans to spend more than 10M between signing a contract in 2019 and March of 2020.
QB dont get small SB money. It dont matter who it is. Daks SB will be 40-50mil. Thats just the market on these new deals. Only one who isnt like that is Garoppolo because basically the niners didnt sign anybody and had a ton of cap, so they gave him i think it was 27mil roster bonus last yr with a 7mil SB.

Ur crazy is you think Dak would accept a 10mil SB

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Agree with some. Backup RB and QB need to be shored up. But i think theyre not going to do anything with QB. RB they recently talked with Damien Harris. I think he would be the perfect backup for this team.

DT is where i kinda disagree. Def need 1 but idk about 2. Think this team is going Woods and Covington at the 1tech. Collins, Crawford at the 3. This is where i think they need a rookie. IMO i think the addition of Quinn actually takes some pressure off DT. Teams werent scared of Crawford on at DE. And Gregory played strictly passing downs. Quinn doesnt have to come off the field.

I hear you on the depth. This team should stay fresh in games. Lawrence and Quinn should be licking their chops in the 4th quarter.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
You're still wrong. I'll break it down for you.

Oakland held Mack's rights under the 5th year option, which held no guaranteed money (in this particular case) until a game was played. He was then traded to Chicago.

Chicago acquired him at his 5th year option salary of $13.8M. None of which was the responsibility of the Raiders.

Chicago then signed Mack to a 6/141 deal, which factored with his option created a new 7/ 154.8M deal.

His 1st year cap hit of the new deal was 13.8M, a 7M base salary and $6.8M of his prorated 34M signing bonus, all of which was responsible to Chicago in cash and cap.

Do you need any further explanation?
And dont forget Chicago already had to restructure 13mil of his money into another SB just one yr into his deal. Which lowerd it. Which they;ll have to do again the following yr and the yr after that. Add 13mil before the restructure how much is that? Chicago set themselves up with a bad deal. plain andf simple. This is what Dallas is trying to avoid.

ksg811

Reaction score
And dont forget Chicago already had to restructure 13mil of his money into another SB just one yr into his deal. Which lowerd it. Which they;ll have to do again the following yr and the yr after that. Add 13mil before the restructure how much is that? Chicago set themselves up with a bad deal. plain andf simple. This is what Dallas is trying to avoid.

Dallas restructured Travis Frederick to the tune of $13M in his 2nd year too. And again in year 3 for $9.2M. Cowboys are in good cap shape despite that. Was Frederick a bad deal too?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
QB dont get small SB money. It dont matter who it is. Daks SB will be 40-50mil. Thats just the market on these new deals. Only one who isnt like that is Garoppolo because basically the niners didnt sign anybody and had a ton of cap, so they gave him i think it was 27mil roster bonus last yr with a 7mil SB.

Ur crazy is you think Dak would accept a 10mil SB

The amount of the signing bonus does not matter.

Only the amount of fully guaranteed money matters.

60M on Aug 1st = 60M

10M on Aug 1st + 51M on March 1st = 61M

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Dallas restructured Travis Frederick to the tune of $13M in his 2nd year too. And again in year 3 for $9.2M. Cowboys are in good cap shape despite that. Was Frederick a bad deal too?
Did you even bother to see why they did that? Dallas gave him a 3.25mil signing bonus. Or mabe u pay more attention to other teams then the one u root for.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
The amount of the signing bonus does not matter.

Only the amount of fully guaranteed money matters.

60M on Aug 1st = 60M

10M on Aug 1st + 51M on March 1st = 61M

I got no issues with what they do with Dak. They know how to structure a deal for a QB. They did it with Romo his whole career.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
those days are over. if you look at contracts now agents are looking for money on the front end.
No they aren't ..... they almost all still prorate the large signing bonus(not SF)

AND Flemming is trash.... he should have never been re-signed and is no replacement for LCollins

Last edited: