CFZ My Thoughts bye week

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Problem is that there are cap issues the Cowboys are gonna face in 2023. Trading Smith would save nearly $10 million in cap space. I don't agree with getting rid of him but let's be honest............ for as good as he can be while on the field, he's struggled to stay on the field since 2015. He's only played in 13 games the last two years and depending on when he comes back, he may only log around 15-17 games over a three year period.

Banking on him being healthy and taking a $18 million cap hit might be a risk a team with some cap constraints might not be willing to take.
I’m confused though are you speaking for next season or this year?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I'm going to start off with asking why are media and fans crying about the lack of moves before the trade deadline. This team told you in the offseason that these young guys the team has are coming along and are going to be really good. The OL is doing really good and they are obliterating DLs. The defense on every level is better. The TEs are really good as a core. Which actually makes the wr core less of a liability because they are all able to take advantage of lbers and s that cover them.

They did get Hankins who is everything that was advertised. He solidifies the middle of the DL. And when you watch, the middle of the DL isn't the problem. It's the DEs not staying home because they want to kill the QB. Lawrence seems to be the major culprit of this. Early downs Parsons should be inside where he could pursue the ball on them running downs because what teams are doing is just running at him and doubling him taking him out of the play. But unless you have a QB who can escape the pocket on a regular basis you aren't going to the big runs on this Def in those situations. I think they can clean up that over pursuit during this be week.

Pollard did really good, but as he even said he was wore out. He can't take a full load. Which is why they need Elliot. I don't understand the whole either or crowd. They both can kill a defense if Moore would just keep the run game in the game instead of abandoning it.

I wouldn't hate OBJ but I wouldn't cry if they didn't. What scares me is if they do Moore is just going to let go of the run and go pass happy.

Tyron is going to be back soon and I wouldn't mind if he just stayed gone. They have continuity right now and inserting him in is going to mess with that. Let this team play.

Clark and Parsons are going to wreck havoc on teams for years.

It's insane how much talent this team has on defense. And the rookie and sophomores are playing huge parts. You can't name a team that's drafted better in the last 2 yrs. Could probably go further.
Good post. I do disagree about Tyron. If he’s 100% healthy then he should be the LT. There’s no one better.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Problem is that there are cap issues the Cowboys are gonna face in 2023. Trading Smith would save nearly $10 million in cap space. I don't agree with getting rid of him but let's be honest............ for as good as he can be while on the field, he's struggled to stay on the field since 2015. He's only played in 13 games the last two years and depending on when he comes back, he may only log around 15-17 games over a three year period.

Banking on him being healthy and taking a $18 million cap hit might be a risk a team with some cap constraints might not be willing to take.

Just what you think we can get .........pack of chips. If we can't rely on him, other teams can either, at least not enough to give up a draft pick. If you are thinking he could swing or backup for another team, we may as well keep him for the same role.

Sydla

Reaction score
Just what you think we can get .........pack of chips. If we can't rely on him, other teams can either, at least not enough to give up a draft pick. If you are thinking he could swing or backup for another team, we may as well keep him for the same role.

You aren't carrying him as a swing/backup OT at an $18 million cap hit. That would be patently absurd, even for these two nitwits running the Cowboys. My gut says they want him back. But if they do agree he has to go for cap reasons, there's little doubt in my mind they could get at least a couple of late round picks for him. Some team, desperate for OT help, would take a flier on him for some not so upper level picks.

Verdict

Reaction score
You aren't carrying him as a swing/backup OT at an $18 million cap hit. That would be patently absurd, even for these two nitwits running the Cowboys. My gut says they want him back. But if they do agree he has to go for cap reasons, there's little doubt in my mind they could get at least a couple of late round picks for him. Some team, desperate for OT help, would take a flier on him for some not so upper level picks.
Tyron is not “done” but the fat lady is warming up to sing on him. I don’t know what his contract numbers are but an OT needy team might give up a premium pick for him. He’s not worth what he once was, but lots of teams are OT needy.

Zman5

Reaction score
If Tyron is 100% healthy, you play him. Especially if we get to the playoffs where we will be facing better pass rushers.
Tyler has been better than expected but he is nowhere near Tyron's level yet when it comes to pass blocking.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I certainly want Pollard and Zeke in the game. But I want a role reversal Zeke can take over in the late 3rd and 4th quarters. Zeke should have a FB role in the first half. Pollard will build some endurance as we move forward.

plymkr

Reaction score
It's weird to be in contention now after the abysmal performance on opening night. I really thought the season was over.
Me too. After week one I legit thought our very best would be 4-6 wins. Glad I was wrong and it's a credit to the guys and the coaches for rebounding and playing better. I was about as down on the Cowboys as I've ever been after week 1. So it's been a fun first half of the year for me and them being in contention is a blessing. I thought we were dead in the water.

Sydla

Reaction score

Somebody would absolutely give up some late picks and take a flier on him if they needed OT help. Some desperate for OT starting help would take a flier on him.

You absolutely cannot carry him as a backup with an 18 million dollar cap hit. It would be downright idiotic. So if you can't trade him and you aren't going to start him, then he needs to be cut, unfortunately.

Sydla

Reaction score
Tyron is not “done” but the fat lady is warming up to sing on him. I don’t know what his contract numbers are but an OT needy team might give up a premium pick for him. He’s not worth what he once was, but lots of teams are OT needy.

I tend to agree. Not sure about premium picks but you could get something for him IMO. It's simply not an option to keep him as a backup when his cap hits the net two years are close to $18 million each year.

I have no idea what the Cowboys plan is for him. I suspect they want him back and will shift Tyler Smith back to LG if Smith is a go at LT next year. Or maybe one of the Smith's shifts to RT and Steele goes back to swing OT. But the reality is if the Cowboys have no intention of starting Tyron in 2023 and beyond, then keeping him as an $18 million backup is dumb cap management.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's my thoughts today. The next time we have a week off we will do so as 6 time Super Bowl Champions.

The like button is below.