My thoughts from the game

Kevlee06

Reaction score
I made the trek all the way from Philly to attend yesterday's game, thanks to my wife. The trip itself was great, but the game was horrible. I'll list some things I saw from the stands.

O-line: This offense will not be complete until there is a nasty/mauler on this line who is not afraid to punch someone in the mouth (theoretically) and continue to do so. Rivera is NOT the answer. He gets pushed back far too much. He's the ultimate technician, but at this point he's a old technician who teams manhandle. And believe me he is not the only problem, just the main one. And to think nobody was worried about his spot too much because he's a former pro bowler and such. Don't be shocked if he's released in the off-season.

D-line: Always a step too slow. Maybe its the knee braces, maybe not. Fergusen is the only one who gets a consistent push. Speaks and Canty always seem to make tackles 3-4 yards downfield. Where they were pushed to. I'm thinking its the scheme somewhat as well. Looks like they just try and hold the point of attack and not work there way into the backfield. Well that poses two problems: When the other team passes on run downs, they never generate a pass rush. And two: it puts the pressure on the ILB's to make plays. And that ain't happening (more on that later).

Julius: Had a few runs today that reminded you of his rookie seasons and the games where he rushed for alot of yards. Basically making the first cut after actually seeing a hole. But of course new Julius appeared too much yesterday as well. The one who runs straight into a pile without so much of seeing anything else. On one sweep play I swear he was running straight to the sidelines and was determined not to plant his foot and start running upfield. It was like he made up his mind he didn't want the play to last more than 4 seconds!

Barber: Just like the Saints game. The Eagles offense kept him off the field. He needs at least two series where its all him. BP will never do that if the defense can't get people off of the field. He will never get in a rhythm with games like yesterday.

Romo: Plain and simple. He was off. Throws you've grown accustomed to him being spot on, he wasn't making. And since the O-line is horrible when the Eagles bring pressure and the WR's don't recognize too often when they need to cut their routes short he was set up to fail. He still made a few plays there that not many QB's in the game would make. He still does have some "magic" in him.

T.O.: Just play ball man! Be the force you think you are and make the hard catches. That drop on the sidelines basically let any air out of the stadium that was left. It seems everyone at the game wanted TO to succeed, but he has to start living up to the hype. He brings so much energy to the table. The man walked out before team warmups and the crowd went crazy. No other player garnered that much attention. If he just shuts up and plays hard he would be endeared by the fans. But he opens his mouth WAY too much, teases you with his talent, then when you REALLY need him he chokes.

Bradie James: And to a lesser extent Akin Ayondele. These two are average football players. If that. Bradie was non-existent again. He's lucky Jerry didn't let this season play out because he would not get that contract on the open market. In fact I think Jerry should've waited on him and let him have to work for that contract. Probably would see a different player out there. Someone more hungry to make things happen. Not the lackadaisical player who does not make any plays. Sure people will say he leads the team in tackles. But he should be leading the team in tackles behind the LOS. Not leading the team in tackles 6-7 yards downfield. And get this guy off the nickle unit. Who the heck decided he's good in coverage. He looks lost out there. The boys need an ILB who actually knows how to blitz. Who knows how to read a play and blow the thing up (where is Dat Nguyen at). Heck could he at least hit someone hard once.

Ware: Move this guy around more often please. When he sits on the right the opposing team will always put a twins set on his side which kills his ability. The first time he was switched to the left he blew by whoever was there, got a sack, and caused a fumble. I don't care if he lines up at ILB on occasion. But he should be only spending 50% of his time on the at his "normal" position.

Roy: Where are you at? If there's one player who is feeling the effects of Greg Ellis being hurt its him. He needs a pass rush too be effective. Because a pass rush would allow him to play the ball in front of him, instead of sitting back waiting for the QB to torch his *** because the receivers are running for days.

Coaching: This staff does not dictate what goes on during the game. They react to what the other team is doing. And its making the players try not to fail, instead of trying to win. I mean, stop running TO deep knowing full well they have a CB AND a FS watching him on darn near every play. That Dawkins INT late? Had no chance of being completed. The Eagles were not going to let TO beat them. Especially not on deep balls. Run the man across the field or something. Get creative. Move Ware around. The only innovative thing they did yesterday was bring Glenn in at CB and take Watkins out. Basically making Newman a safety. Although that just nullified any effect Roy could have because he then was playing the deep safety. And that last play before the half (before the FG) with 8 seconds left? There was NO NEED to have TO enter the game. If the coaches thought the Eagles were about to throw a hail-mary then someone needs to go. I know are safeties suck, but that was one play early to bring him back there.

You know I could go on, but I know people didn't even read that. But I must say I loved the stadium. And the people were great. One of the best experiences of my life. Would've been perfect with the win, but I still had a blast.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I read it, and it was a very good post. I agree with just about all your evaluations, too. Thanks for posting them.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Great post. Thank you.

This staff does not dictate what goes on during the game. They react to what the other team is doing. And its making the players try not to fail, instead of trying to win.

That says it all.

This team is petrified to make a mistake...which explains why they make so many.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
And I forgot to mention that there is still something wrong with Oliver Hoyte. He came off the field limping a couple times, but he is not the same player he was two months ago when he first got on the field. He's the one getting blown up, instead of him blowing people up. He's turning into somewhat of a liability. Teams do not fear our run game at all. The Eagles were sitting both their safeties back for most of the game daring the Cowboys to throw deep.

But if I ever see hoyte go in motion on the goaline again I will request someone punch me dead square in the face.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Great post. James is not very good, I would move Carpenter there since Carp has speed and or lateral movement issues.

cnhnyy

Reaction score
Thanks alot. That is a great read.

Agree 100%. Perhaps you should send a resume to Jerry.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Kevlee06;1261106 said:
And I forgot to mention that there is still something wrong with Oliver Hoyte. He came off the field limping a couple times, but he is not the same player he was two months ago when he first got on the field. He's the one getting blown up, instead of him blowing people up. He's turning into somewhat of a liability. Teams do not fear our run game at all. The Eagles were sitting both their safeties back for most of the game daring the Cowboys to throw deep.

But if I ever see hoyte go in motion on the goaline again I will request someone punch me dead square in the face.

Hoyte has a bad knee...

Like dbair has said, I think Parcells takes his "playing hurt" thing too far sometimes. You don't want a team of wimps, but you also don't want a guy out there just to be out there if he's so injured he's worse than a backup would be.

In this case, I love Hoyte, but last week Polite played IMO his best game for us. Looks like he should have played yesterday instead of the hurt guy.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1261129 said:
Hoyte has a bad knee...

Like dbair has said, I think Parcells takes his "playing hurt" thing too far sometimes. You don't want a team of wimps, but you also don't want a guy out there just to be out there if he's so injured he's worse than a backup would be.

And with him AND Polite active it takes away from somewhere else. I mean is there anyone else who is always inactive that could come in and help with the pass rush? Or Parrish could've been active. Something.

phillycard

Reaction score
Kevlee06;1261024 said:
O-line: This offense will not be complete until there is a nasty/mauler on this line who is not afraid to punch someone in the mouth (theoretically) and continue to do so.

Like Shawn Andrews did? I have gained even more respect for him, and see clearly why he's a pro bowler. He was vicious yesterday.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
phillycard;1261149 said:
Like Shawn Andrews did? I have gained even more respect for him, and see clearly why he's a pro bowler. He was vicious yesterday.

I had a loooong time to think on the plane ride home last night. But when the boys were good they had a great O-line. Now there were pro bowlers across the board. But if not for guys like Kevin Gogan who was as nasty as they come, the line is not complete. He wasn't the best on those lines, but you could count on him until the last play to try and beat up his man one on one ALL game long. And I can't bring up "nastiness" without mentioning Erik Williams. There is NO one on this line close to what he was. But if the guys on the line would just pick up on his intensity they would be alot better. Its like they want to read books "during" the game.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Excellent Post......to bad you traveled so far to see us play the we did.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
phillycard;1261149 said:

That guy is flat out incredible. He is the new larry allen. That guy could move the empire state building.

He was supposed to be a cowboy and the eagles traded up one spot ahead of us and drafted him! that is why the philadelphia eagles and andy reid have had the success they have. They are smart and they always seem to be one step ahead of everyone.

My Hats off to Andy Reid and his staff. That philadelphia Eagles team is the best team I have seen live this season.

The eagles offensive line is incredible right now. They will make the nfc championship, maybe the superbowl because of the talent up front on offensively.

I hope and think we matchup well with the hawks and the bears. That is why I am not giving up on this season, I think we matshup well with the hawks and the bears and I think we will play well and beat seattle and maybe even chicago.

I honestly can not say enough good things about the eagles organization and their front office today. They are flat out an outstanding football team. NOw that they have decided to use those road graders up front, I have to say they look like the best team in the nfc.

Again, I am severely depressed today, but I dont think anyone needs to be fired (just Owens) or any of that stuff. Instead of being dissapointed with the cowboys I just feel like the eagles are a superior team and they were so good up front, well to quote brad sham it was "like men and boys" out there.

I have all the respect in the world for the eagles organization, however their fans, well sure enough as always they were starting fights from the opening kickoff. The police had to come to section 121 3 times because of the usual jerks waving flags in peoples faces and causing problems.