My Thoughts New Coaching Staff

quickccc

Reaction score
Marinelli is all that. However, he is absolutely awful at personnel.

yeh right ..lol

He's vastly overrated. ..and severely out dated, imo .
But some players ...and some coaches tend to keep getting hype and stigma that they dont deserve by what they put on the field.

Its the eyeball test,.. not the stats...not the rah-rah screams ...not what he did back in his bears or bucs days over a decade or so ago,.....
does his style and scheme produce ? ...does his preference turn into plus results ...... .and does he gets his message across on the field ?

quickccc

Reaction score
I had in mind that Bisaccia's contract was over.

Eberflus got a promotion. Teams rarely stand in the way of that.

Callahan knows that Jerry holds him in high regard. He departed because he disliked Garrett.

I'm certain that there is a good OL coach available somewhere.

I would look at the Rams OL coach for O-Coordinator if the new Head Coach can't bring one with him.

The 49ers probably have a water boy that would be an upgrade to the Cowboys OL coaching this season.

Callahan wanted to move on, but the Cowboys management refused to let him explore a possible promotion.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/pla...han-rod-marinelli-scott-linehan-jason-garrett

Further, it is believed that Callahan wanted to move on, but the Cowboys refused to let him out of the last year of his contract.
At least two other teams were denied permission to interview him.

It appears the team still values his ability to develop the offensive line, and he is now working with one of the youngest and arguably one of the most talented group of linemen in the league.

https://www.espn.com/dallas/nfl/sto...veland-browns-request-interview-bill-callahan

Cowboys block Browns on Callahan
As top-heavy as the team's offensive staff may seem, the Dallas Cowboys do not want to part ways with Bill Callahan.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
I had in mind that Bisaccia's contract was over.

Eberflus got a promotion. Teams rarely stand in the way of that.

Callahan knows that Jerry holds him in high regard. He departed because he disliked Garrett.

I'm certain that there is a good OL coach available somewhere.

I would look at the Rams OL coach for O-Coordinator if the new Head Coach can't bring one with him.

The 49ers probably have a water boy that would be an upgrade to the Cowboys OL coaching this season.

On ex-special teams coach Rich Bisaccia departure:

https://insidethestar.com/breaking-cowboys-losing-special-teams-coordinator-rich-bisaccia/

The Dallas Cowboys will allow Special Teams Coordinator and Assistant Head Coach Rich Bisaccia to back out of the remainder of his contract. This is likely so that Bisaccia can join Jon Gruden’s staff with the Oakland Raiders.

The news was reported by the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeh right ..lol

He's vastly overrated. ..and severely out dated, imo .
But some players ...and some coaches tend to keep getting hype and stigma that they dont deserve by what they put on the field.

Its the eyeball test,.. not the stats...not the rah-rah screams ...not what he did back in his bears or bucs days over a decade or so ago,.....
does his style and scheme produce ? ...does his preference turn into plus results ...... .and does he gets his message across on the field ?

The Zone Blocking scheme was only used by 1 team in the Nineties when Marinelli was developing his DLine concepts.

Now the league is dominated by the ZBS.

Marinelli's scheme just does not work well against the ZBS especially now that the Rams exposed the exact weaknesses of the scheme in the playoff game.

Even aside from the specific scheme, a general issue is that Marinelli's defense is assignment based more than most defenses. The Rams studied the Cowboys individual position assignments and then tweaked their blocking scheme to exploit the assignments.

They saw that on outside zone runs to the side of the 1tech DT that the 1tech would move as quickly as possible to the outside in part because the 1tech is 1 gap farther from the outside than the 3tech when the run is to the 3tech's side.

Since the outside zone run always gas a cut back to the inside option, the 1tech's assignment took him out of the middle to defend the cut back.

Because the outside zone with cut back is a slower developing play, the Rams could have two double teams on DLinemen initially then get 1 OL from each double team to kick out on a LB.

The Rams knew the LB's assignments. They would use motion and the threat of misdirection plays to the backside (jet sweep, etc..) to delay the backside LB. That made it easy for an OL to kick out and keep that LB from getting to the middle area once he saw the RB did get the handoff.

The play-side LB had to move outside against the outside run but not too far because of the cut-back option.

The RB could easily read the 1tech and at least 1 LB. The OL were also "reading" the LBs to know if they should box them out to the outside of to the inside.

The RB was really just reading the blocks by his 2 OL on the 2 LBs (in Nickel) to determine if he should cut back or stay to the outside.

In 2019 Kris Richard has tried to over-ride the assignments to counter teams that are just copying the Rams. That has made things worse and is the reason players like Jaylon "appear" to have regressed.

On the flip side, I've spent a lot of time studying the Pats defense this season and from the playoffs.

It gives me brain cramps trying to understand their basic defense; however, the most amazing thing is not the scheme itself but the fact that the players execute it with minimal mistakes.

The Pats defense looks completely different from down to down based primarily on down/distance.

They can do that even without switching personnel. They'll move a DT from NT to a 3-4 DE position and their group of big LBs adjust to play different position assignments. Almost all of their LBs are are in the 255 pound or more range with one smaller LB that plays some passing downs.

Anybody that thinks are large group of Cowboys defensive players suddenly regressed are just over-reacting.

Jaylon and LVE didn't forget how to play and Jaylon's nerve didn't "un-grow". Offenses are just building on top of the Rams success at exploiting the weaknesses of the Cowboys defensive scheme.
Callahan wanted to move on, but the Cowboys management refused to let him explore a possible promotion.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/pla...han-rod-marinelli-scott-linehan-jason-garrett

Further, it is believed that Callahan wanted to move on, but the Cowboys refused to let him out of the last year of his contract.
At least two other teams were denied permission to interview him.

It appears the team still values his ability to develop the offensive line, and he is now working with one of the youngest and arguably one of the most talented group of linemen in the league.

https://www.espn.com/dallas/nfl/sto...veland-browns-request-interview-bill-callahan

Cowboys block Browns on Callahan
As top-heavy as the team's offensive staff may seem, the Dallas Cowboys do not want to part ways with Bill Callahan.

I'm well aware of the exact details (the details that were reported). I followed every detail of Callahan and the OL in that time frame including all interviews I could find of Callahan.

I don't think they would have kept a coach that was really upset about staying another year. Callahan just wanted Jerry to keep Garrett out of his space for that final season. Knowing Jerry Callahan probably got a bonus for staying.

Callahan's final season (2014) with the Cowboys was the best performance by the OLine since the last Super Bowl. They had success in 2016 with Zeke being on another level of talent above Murray from 2014 but the OL was not better than in 2014.

Jimmy and Chan Gailey are the only coaches that departed on "bad terms" with Jerry as far as I know. Jerry has often expressed regret about firing Gailey too quickly.

Even Parcells has praised Jerry as an owner and said Jerry did not impede him. Jerry has expressed his respect for Parcells but Jerry was just out of sorts during that time because he couldn't play with his own toy (the team) because he had given it to Parcells to play with while Parcells was here.

I don't know that it matters about Callahan because Urban Meyer will likely bring in his own OL coach and his own O-Coordinator; although if he can't get the O-Coordinator he wants it's possible he keeps Kellen Moore. There is a long list of O-Coordinators that made a name for themselves working under Meyer and most were about Moore's age when they started as OCs under Meyer, IIRC.

I'm ready for the new HC to be hired. It will be exciting to see changes after all the years of dull and boring Garrett and Wade Phillips. Wde should never have attempted to be a Head Coach. Wade has been a terrific D-Coordinator for multiple teams but was totally over his head on the "political" side of being an NFL HC as well as the team discipline aspect which was not his forte.

The roster is setup for a new HC to have success much like when Harbaugh became the 49ers HC. The 49ers had put together a good roster but Mike Singletary just didn't have the CEO type abilities required to be an NFL HC.

I can never root for the Cowboys to lose; however it's probably better if the Eagles win the division and the Cowboys get a jump start on hiring a new coaching staff.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Teams have been zone blocking since the 80's. The bengals did it forever.