My thoughts on Cowboys vs Raiders

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Vaughn is our most talented runner imo.
He looked good last night. Need to get him the ball in space though. Can’t ram him between the tackles. I hope the develop a nice package for him this season.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He looked good last night. Need to get him the ball in space though. Can’t ram him between the tackles. I hope the develop a nice package for him this season.
I think he’s at his best between the tackles.

Obvious short yardage situations I’d find someone with more power but when defenses have to respect the pass he can do work between the tackles

Mcsports

Reaction score
Agree with most points posted.
I’m midway through fourth quarter but so far Josh Ball looking OK at left tackle.
Schoonmaker very active as a blocker
Feohoko brings nothing to table. Nothing

Creeper

Reaction score
Since the Cowboys did not play many of their starters or first team players, I think this game has to be considered a positive, since the Raiders had their starters in the game for most of the 1st half.

While Waletzko has some trouble with Crosby the rest of the OL was impressive against the Raiders starters. I think Guyton, Smith, Beebe ir Hoffman, Martin and Steele should make up a good offensive line. And if one of them goes down, with the exception of Guyton, I think they will have good enough backups. I'd like to see Asim Richards get some snaps at LT.

On the opposite side, Rogers and Phillips started at DT against the Raiders starting OL. Again, I was pleased with the push they got in the middle. Phillips is going to help. It would have been nice to see Mazi against the same Raiders players but hopefully next week we see some of that. In fact, I thought the Cowboys DTs, Rogers, Huggins, Daxon and Phillips all had decent nights. Daxon looked tired later in the game, but when he was fresh he looked like he could become a stout interior lineman. I rank them Phillips, Rogers, Huggins, Daxon in that order. Mazi gets an incomplete.

I am a little concerned about the DEs. Kneeland looks like he has a lot of potential and is already pretty good against the run, but against there was a lack of pressure on the QB. Micah is going to fix this, along with DLaw, but when they are off the field generating pressure is going to be a problem. Fehoko might just be raw, but he has the same move Bradley Anae had. He leaves his feet for some reason when he makes his move on the blocker. It takes him out of the play. He also played inside some last night. The Cowboys do not have enough speed outside. They will need to come up with some blitz packages to fix that.

I admit Deuce looked good. He showed he has some quick moves. He showed that last year too. But when the real games started he looked overmatched. I am still not convinced he is the real deal.

Lance looked 100% better than last week. But he still has a propensity to throw late and short. When the real games start, if he has to play, DCs will tight up coverages and force him to throw the ball downfield to prove he has the accuracy. Still, he had a good night so maybe there is reason to be optimistic. The problem for Dallas is Lance needs more playing time to develop. He is not going to get it playing under Dak. But Lance is nowhere near ready to start in the NFL. Lance is a free agent after this year so Dallas has to pay him or let him walk. They can't pay him if they sign Dak and CeeDee. If he does great next week all it means is Dallas will let him go to another team to play and get nothing in return for him.

There is something about this Flournoy kid. It is still early, but he has the look of an NFL receiver. I don't know how they cannot make him 1 of the final 53. He was beating the Raider starting CB, the guy the announcers were raving about all night. Brooks looks okay, as does Cropper. But I don't see how either of those guys takes a spot from Flournoy. Of course every year there is a WR who seems to look great in preseason only to flop when the real games start. I don't think Flournoy is that guy.

I hate the new kickoff rule. It looks dumb because it is dumb. Maybe there will be more returns early on as players are as confused by the play as fans, but once they get some experience with it I think we won't see anymore returns that we saw before. I do think we will see a lot more hold penalties.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Obvious short yardage situations I’d find someone with more power but when defenses have to respect the pass he can do work between the tackles
Really??? I think he won’t hold up. I see him as a 10-15 touch a game guy built around a Darren Sproles like scheme. I think he would be great like that.

RonWashington

Reaction score
The coaches can better tell when tape is broken down but I thought Phillips & Rogers did a nice job of stuffing the middle last night . Phillips probably wanted too much for Buffalo FO but he might be a very nice rotational piece in Dallas . Give OSA some plays off .

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I still think they are going to aquire someone for a 4th ish pick before cuts...
I’m against that because you can easily draft someone next year and you hold on to them for 4 years. Unless a big time time is available but I don’t want to trade for someone we already have caliber wise.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yes, but what is funny. A cut down being tough for all the RB's that most say the entire group suck. :muttley:
I mean they played the crappy Raiders and everyone is excited again. I think these guys will be formidable im just disappointed they didn’t attempt to address and upgrade the position. But I never night the worst in the league talk people were doing.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I think this is an issue from last year. They assumed because of his size they can’t run him between the tackles but I’m like you think he’s best suited for it. Especially if our interior is opening up holes.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean they played the crappy Raiders and everyone is excited again. I think these guys will be formidable im just disappointed they didn’t attempt to address and upgrade the position. But I never night the worst in the league talk people were doing.
If the OL is what we want them to be. I think the run game can be better than most think. And agree, they should have still addressed it better.

RonWashington

Reaction score
RB’s Dowdle Elliott Freeman . At this point I keep Peat over both Malik Davis and Snoop Conner . That’s 4 RB . Leupke as FB by himself .

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If the OL is what we want them to be. I think the run game can be better than most think. And agree, they should have still addressed it better.
That’s the question. Can we dominate the line of scrimmage. If we can? Much better for everyone. That’s why I don’t do the whole emotional based opinions. This team may get better simply from within. It’s why the games are played. Loved what I saw last night though. Even a little nasty on defense.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s the question. Can we dominate the line of scrimmage. If we can? Much better for everyone. That’s why I don’t do the whole emotional based opinions. This team may get better simply from within. It’s why the games are played. Loved what I saw last night though. Even a little nasty on defense.
I still need to watch it yet. Recorded it. I seen some of it, no sound. It is extremely rare for me to even miss a PS game.
But it was special occasion last night.

So I am trying not to make any posts about specific opinions yet.
But, yes, improve in the trenches and everything els can flow better.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Excited about what?

I don’t think anyone’s expectations of anything changed.

stiletto

Reaction score
Zeke is a complete fan/nostalgia pick up. Progress stopper if someone like Freeman is better. Dowdle should be the clear #1 back but he can't stY healthy. This RB room isn't going to be great no matter what .

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Excited about what?

I don’t think anyone’s expectations of anything changed.
Well I read some posts a week ago and fans were down and making posts how this is the first time in 30 years they aren’t excited about the team. Last night brought some excitement and rightfully so. A lot of potential was on display from the quarterback down to the kicker. It was fun.