My thoughts on Draft

Sandyf

Reaction score
Seems like no "expert" or fan can agree on who goes in what round or for that matter what any team is going to do. That alone should tell us that there are no sure things in this draft and a whole lot of maybe good to great players through all 7 rounds.

Still can't get over the fact that Dallas has yet to sign Dalton Schultz to a long term deal. The former 4th round pick had a very good year last year but he isn't Kittle or any of the other top TE guys. Steady, durable, good pass catcher, suspect blocker are the things he is. Could a team like Cincinnati reach out to Dallas on a draft day trade that nets Dallas a couple of picks early on. Not out of the question to me and Cincy really has two needs in this draft, TE and CB, wonder what they would give for Schultz and Brown. Sure we would be at a need for a TE but easily get Otton and Woods or Ruckert and Wydermeyer in the 5th which would give us 3 years of TE since McKeon is on his last year as is Sprinkle. Ruckert and Otton are better blockers than Schultz.

And still not sure what is going on with Tyron Smith. He has two years on his contract and if a team comes up that needs a LT short term (usually a playoff type team), then getting a 2nd and 3rd for him now and not to mention the salary cap savings this year and next seems to be good sense. One could actually see Dallas possibly trading up for an OT if Cross should fall or Penning falls to say 20 or if Raimann is there at #24, just believe they have Raimann higher graded than Johnson or Green.

Speaking of Johnson, Green and guys like Lloyd while many see them as 1st round guys and they may very well be, it should be no surprise to see them go in the second round and if things are true about Lloyd then even the 3rd could be his landing spot. As fans we will always believe that teams got it wrong when a guy falls but as a scout for the Cowboys told me, not all we see is what is really there from medicals to attitude to actually wanting to play. Personal interviews carry much more weight now a days that fans believe.

The belief is Dallas will go heavy offense in this draft and rightly so, just see it more even than most. Think we could see them ending up with 5 picks in the first 88 and 3 on offense and 2 on defense. WR could be a 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice but won't surprise to see it all or late 5th round. Free agency after the draft is where Dallas could still do some good business and guys like Clowney and Fuller are certainly names that could help Dallas, at least for one year.

Fun starts tomorrow.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I'm not surprised Schultz isn't signed yet. He's probably looking for top five money, but he's not Kelce or Kittle.

I'm open to having him long-term, but don't want to break the break.

visionary

Reaction score
If I can get a 2 for Schulz I’m moving him so fast it would make your head spin

then I’ll take Woods with that pick

terra

Reaction score
I am not terribly impressed with Schultz so I do hope that for once the mania for liking and signing our guys has some common sense in it.

This draft is frankly a weak one overall. I would not be adverse in doing some trading that would get us 2023 picks.