My thoughts on the cowboys...

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
RainMan;2394821 said:
As for running the ball, I think the core problem there is that we're a pass-first team that uses the passing game to set up the run. People like to hype our offense as some big, mauling group that can run over people. But they only do that -- 9 times out of 10 -- when the pass has already been established and the defense is playing off. We're not one of those get-down-and-dirty organizations that loves to roll up our sleeves and pound on people. We want to finesse our way to the win, and then use Barber's pounding style as the change of pace. But without Romo, there's no chance of getting that passing game going.

We were also a pass first team in the '90s as well with Emmitt Smith as our running back. This fact isn't from my thoughts. This is something I actually heard Aikman say when he was commenting a game. He said people were mistaken that we were a run-first team because we had Emmitt back there. They always used the pass to set up the run, whether it was a slant to Irvin, or a short out to Johnston.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
Rack;2395433 said:
If we went to a 4-3 we'd still need a MLB (since you think we have no good ILBs) and we'd still need a good run stuffing DT.

Again, the FRONT isn't the problem.

And there absolutely were opportunities for MB3 to gain 2-4 yards at times but he didn't hit the hole hard and got stuffed. Not saying EVERY time, but at times.

We use what we have. Zach is MLB; he has tons of experience but is missing about 1/2 step in speed and that is why I have mixed feelings about his play. Stuff the middle DL with the beef and the outside with the speed.

I'll agree to disagree about MBIII. I just think that when you look at the line and you see it stacked and the Giants know you are running the ball and running it to the right, MBIII is "looking" for holes and not looking to avoid contact. MBIII is the heart of our team; too bad he can't be a verbal leader.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I think Rack is right about Barber. He's obviously at his best when he takes it at people... I don't know why he's started dancing around. You'd think he'd know by now that he doesn't have the speed or quickness to run around people to the outside.

If a play is only blocked for 2.5 yards, get your 2.5 yards... Don't try to juke someone and end up with a half-yard loss.

links18

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2396070 said:
I think Rack is right about Barber. He's obviously at his best when he takes it at people... I don't know why he's started dancing around. You'd think he'd know by now that he doesn't have the speed or quickness to run around people to the outside.

If a play is only blocked for 2.5 yards, get your 2.5 yards... Don't try to juke someone and end up with a half-yard loss.

Someone needs to send him a message, alas with this coaching staff you know it isn't going to happen. He will continue to start, get a disproportionate number of carries while Felix will see spot duty and Choice just rots on the bench. So much for the 3 headed monster people talked about in the preseason....

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
percyhoward;2395633 said:
I'm not bashing Parcells, I just mention him because you're looking at this from a Parcells-like perspective. You want us to be able to win the battle at the LOS, just like Parcells did. He didn't want to build a team that had to rely on the athleticism of a few key players. But as it turned out, that's exactly what we have. Blame whomever you want, but this team's fortunes are tied directly to Romo, Ware, Newman, and Owens.

Any team relies on its stars, but this team moreso. We can't sustain injuries as well as a team built the Parcells way--strong on offensive and defensive lines--would be able to. The important parts we have are not as interchangeable as they would be if DL and OL were strengths.

Anyway, Romo being out is why our run D suddenly looks so bad.

Ok I gotcha.

But we did have players that were better vs the run. We got rid of our #1 run stuffer in the offseason. Inexplicable. Ratliff should be our starting DE, replacing Spears or Canty.

I think Spears and Canty play better when they're "Pushed" But Wade won't do that. He'll make excuses for them until the day he dies.

Not sure what you mean with that last sentence... a joke?

JPM;2395780 said:
And Tank Johnson is NOT a 3-4 DT, no way in hell.

Agreed.

Chocolate Lab;2396070 said:

Exactly. It's one of the things that made Emmitt so good. He didn't mess around, he had patience to the hole, but he had burst THROUGH the hole. MB3 is not bursting through the hole. Just cuz the holes aren't gaping huge doesn't mean they aren't there.

That said, there were a few runs where he had no chance.

links18;2396098 said:
Someone needs to send him a message, alas with this coaching staff you know it isn't going to happen. He will continue to start, get a disproportionate number of carries while Felix will see spot duty and Choice just rots on the bench. So much for the 3 headed monster people talked about in the preseason....

Wade won't send him a message. He's too busy thinking up excuses.

I can't wait for him to say something like "Well our RB was 13-3 last year".