My thoughts on the thoughts on Dak

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
This isnt going to be long but it will be direct and to the point.

I read thread after thread, and post after post about Dak not throwing for 300 yrds. Along with that all the other cliche criticisms posters here want to spew. ANd i wonder if any of you actually have paid attention and know this information or just hate to hate.

In 2014 Scott Linehan was hired

Look at Romo's stats and you will see that they are very similar to what Dak has done with the offense since he's been in the NFL. The only numbers that are really in Romo's favors are TD passes. But we'll look at the number and you will be suprised to see that it was and has been Linehan thats been the issue.

2014 Romo numbers

247yrds a game passing. Isnt that where Daks been avg'n at his whole career?

in 2014 Romo had 7 games of 250 or more yrds and only 1 game over 300. This yr Dak had 6 over 250 and 2 over 300. In 2017 Dak has 5 over 250 and 1 over 300. 2016 he had 5 over 250 and 2 over 300.

2014 Romo was at 69% comp rate, Dak has been 67,62,67% from 2016 -2018

Romo was 8.52avg per attemp, as Dak has been 8, 6.2, 7.4 from 2016-2018

Romo had been a consistent 350yrd passer per game his entire career before 2014. How did he dip 100yrds per game in 1 yr? Maybe the offense? A offense that put more emphasis on run game and the same routes? Oh there the the narrative that Romo was changing the plays and there was more success...Yes he changed some plays and made some great things happen. But the stats dont lie. He was running the same plays and doing the same things Dak has been his entire Career.

WE saw Romo falling to the ground plenty as the blitz would come right up the gut did we not?

Now this thread isnt a rip at Romo because i have said plenty of times, that i think 2014 was Romo best yr of his career because the offense saved him from himself and set a limit on how much of a gunslinger he plaid. Because up to that point in his career the guy was a int machine. This post is just to show some of you that the starting QB has had the limited statline from 2014 to 2018. Even with the hero Romo.

One thing the system did was provide consistent wins because it kept things simple and high percentage plays and had a OL that nobody could beat. But the problem came to being 5 yrs of tape and 5 yrs of the same play scheme with no alteration. No adjustments, no tweaks. If LInehan would've added to a working system he would still be OC and dallas probably would've been to a superbowl in those 5 yrs of running his offense.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Dak is a different passer than Romo, Dak is ok with throwing 3 yard dump offs instead of throwing down field. Romo was more of down the field passer, avgs only tell part of the story. Tony was accurate as in he threw to a spot so his receivers could run after the catch, Dak is inconsistent with his placement, inaccurate, his receivers have to stop or jump for many of the passes only to be tackled right away with little chance for yac. I feel Dak would have better numbers if he hit his receivers in stride more but that falls back to accuracy. You cannot use stats to compare two different passers.

Prime21

Reaction score
Gross passing yards are for losers, often garbage time stats.

Winners have high passer rating, completion percentage, YPA, and TDs.

Dak has work to do on YPA and TDs but he has shown well with regard to passer rating and completion percentage.

Dak is not and will probably never be a volume passer. Don't care. Volume passers do not tend to be winners, especially later in the season and post season.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Dak is a different passer than Romo, Dak is ok with throwing 3 yard dump offs instead of throwing down field. Romo was more of down the field passer, avgs only tell part of the story. Tony was accurate as in he threw to a spot so his receivers could run after the catch, Dak is inconsistent with his placement, inaccurate, his receivers have to stop or jump for many of the passes only to be tackled right away with little chance for yac. I feel Dak would have better numbers if he hit his receivers in stride more but that falls back to accuracy. You cannot use stats to compare two different passers.

Romo wasnt throwing them dump offs to Witten the majority fo the season in 2014?

ON accuracy, Romo was accurate? DEz and company werent having to make them tough catches we saw wrs having to make with Dak? Dez and company had to regulary reach back to stop a route to catch a Romo pass. You can def use stats to compare QBs of the same team when the same coach and system is being used. Especially when said player stats took a dramatic drop when said coach was hired.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Gross passing yards are for losers, often garbage time stats.

Winners have high passer rating, completion percentage, YPA, and TDs.

Dak has work to do on YPA and TDs but he has shown well with regard to passer rating and completion percentage.

Dak is not and will probably never be a volume passer. Don't care. Volume passers do not tend to be winners, especially later in the season and post season.

Did you know Dak(7.4) is right with Brady(7.6) and Rodgers(7.4) in ypa?

GenoT

Reaction score

I read thread after thread, and post after post about Dak not throwing for 300 yrds. Along with that all the other cliche criticisms posters here want to spew. ANd i wonder if any of you actually have paid attention and know this information or just hate to hate.

Look at Romo's stats and you will see that they are very similar to what Dak has done with the offense since he's been in the NFL. The only numbers that are really in Romo's favors are TD passes. But we'll look at the number and you will be suprised to see that it was and has been Linehan thats been the issue.

2014 Romo numbers

in 2014 Romo had 7 games of 250 or more yrds and only 1 game over 300. This yr Dak had 6 over 250 and 2 over 300. In 2017 Dak has 5 over 250 and 1 over 300. 2016 he had 5 over 250 and 2 over 300.

Romo had been a consistent 350yrd passer per game his entire career before 2014. How did he dip 100yrds per game in 1 yr? Maybe the offense? A offense that put more emphasis on run game and the same routes? Oh there the the narrative that Romo was changing the plays and there was more success...Yes he changed some plays and made some great things happen. But the stats dont lie. He was running the same plays and doing the same things Dak has been his entire Career.

WE saw Romo falling to the ground plenty as the blitz would come right up the gut did we not?

Now this thread isnt a rip at Romo because i have said plenty of times, that i think 2014 was Romo best yr of his career because the offense saved him from himself and set a limit on how much of a gunslinger he plaid. Because up to that point in his career the guy was a int machine. This post is just to show some of you that the starting QB has had the limited statline from 2014 to 2018. Even with the hero Romo.

One thing the system did was provide consistent wins because it kept things simple and high percentage plays and had a OL that nobody could beat. But the problem came to being 5 yrs of tape and 5 yrs of the same play scheme with no alteration. No adjustments, no tweaks. If LInehan would've added to a working system he would still be OC and dallas probably would've been to a superbowl in those 5 yrs of running his offense.
Glad it wasn’t long.

Sydla

Reaction score

2014 Romo numbers

One little nit................. There is a huge difference between an 8.5 YPA in 2014 and then what Dak has done the last two years. It's one reason why the 2014 offense was much better than the last two Cowboys offenses. That 2014 team could pound you to death but also exploit teams down the field when they bunched up to stop the run. The last two Cowboys teams? Not so much. 2016 was the best comp to that 2014 season and we haven't really seen that quality offense over the last two seasons.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I love both of these QB's for different reasons. IMO its unfair to compare Dak to Romo as if we were comparing Romo to Aikman. We have Dak now and I hope during his tenure with the Cowboys that we get at least 1 ring.

See this is what im talking about. The inability to read a thread and turning it into this. Im not comparing the two QBS, im comparing the similarities in production. And my thoughts that the system being gameplanned was more focused on ball control eating the clock with short high percentage plays. and pointing out the that one thing that this offense got out of these 2 qbs was wins. and further pointed out that if Linehan would've changed things from yr to yr to add new wrinkles into the playcalling he would've had more success.

I dont know why you people are incapable of looking at everything as a he's better then him thing. The football talk in here has gone down so much.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
See this is what im talking about. The inability to read a thread and turning it into this. Im not comparing the two QBS, im comparing the similarities in production. And my thoughts that the system being gameplanned was more focused on ball control eating the clock with short high percentage plays. and pointing out the that one thing that this offense got out of these 2 qbs was wins. and further pointed out that if Linehan would've changed things from yr to yr to add new wrinkles into the playcalling he would've had more success.

I dont know why you people are incapable of looking at everything as a he's better then him thing. The football talk in here has gone down so much.
I didnt say you compared anyone. These are my thoughts. Its a forum.

InTheZone

Reaction score
1. Maybe the QB limitations limit what we can utilize in the offense.

2. If Romo was an int machine then Aikman, Eli, and Favre are the worst qbs to ever play

3. Dak has as many fumbles/picks as TDs despite a better more experience cast...and now he's also killing the sack count by leading the league

4. I don't care what other current qbs are doing

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
1. Maybe the QB limitations limit what we can utilize in the offense.

2. If Romo was an int machine then Aikman, Eli, and Favre are the worst qbs to ever play

3. Dak has as many fumbles/picks as TDs despite a better more experience cast...and now he's also killing the sack count by leading the league

4. I don't care what other current qbs are doing

lol jesus dude, its clear that you didnt understand the purpose of the thread. You really need to get your head out of the Dak issues that are in your brain. This thread was about Linehan and showing the similarities in the numbers between Dak and Romo under this same system.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Romo wasnt throwing them dump offs to Witten the majority fo the season in 2014?

ON accuracy, Romo was accurate? DEz and company werent having to make them tough catches we saw wrs having to make with Dak? Dez and company had to regulary reach back to stop a route to catch a Romo pass. You can def use stats to compare QBs of the same team when the same coach and system is being used. Especially when said player stats took a dramatic drop when said coach was hired.
You mean like the back shoulder fade you know the ones Dak can't throw. Yes those dump offs to witten which usually netted 10 yards not the 3 yard dumpoffs when the team needed 10 yards.

InTheZone

Reaction score
lol jesus dude, its clear that you didnt understand the purpose of the thread. You really need to get your head out of the Dak issues that are in your brain. This thread was about Linehan and showing the similarities in the numbers between Dak and Romo under this same system.
I'm aware. For clarification I took what you said in your last paragraph and your mention of Linehan and gave you my opinion on that matter.

Then I see Dak is unable to utilize players Romo had, along with Witten walking away when he did as a sign to reiterate my opinion of him. Hopefully that clears up some misunderstanding.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
You mean like the back shoulder fade you know the ones Dak can't throw. Yes those dump offs to witten which usually netted 10 yards not the 3 yard dumpoffs when the team needed 10 yards.

Dak to Witten had a 9ypa when the guy could barely move. to a 11.1 ypa in Wittens prime with Romo. and a 75.2% comp compared to 68.4% comp rate with Romo.

Dak used the same tools at a more efficient rate then Romo.

If you want to take it here ill debunk anything you want to throw that is just pure you guessing .

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Witten had his least amount of catches in 2014 - if you want to talk about "dumpoffs", you would have to look at Murray. But that was for an entire season, most of Zeke's catches came in the second half which means Prescott was dumping off far more.