My thoughts on trading down

Smith22

Reaction score
IMO, if we intend on trading down, it will be to target a guy like Jason Allen or an OL guy like Mangold, Spencer or Joseph. There are just WAY TOO many teams drafting after us that could be targeting LB'ers. Teams like the Pats, Giants, Jags, Bengals and Panthers all could be looking at taking a LB'er depending on who is still available. Thoughts???

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
Smith22 said:
IMO, if we intend on trading down, it will be to target a guy like Jason Allen or an OL guy like Mangold, Spencer or Joseph. There are just WAY TOO many teams drafting after us that could be targeting LB'ers. Teams like the Pats, Giants, Jags, Bengals and Panthers all could be looking at taking a LB'er depending on who is still available. Thoughts???

Good point. This draft is a dep one for LB's, but a good chunk of those will be gone by the end of round one. You can add the Commanders to that list as well. My wish would be to take the BPA and not get too cute.

Duane

Reaction score
Phrozen Phil said:
Good point. This draft is a dep one for LB's, but a good chunk of those will be gone by the end of round one. You can add the Commanders to that list as well. My wish would be to take the BPA and not get too cute.
Commanders don't have a 1st round pick so we're safe. :D

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Looks like the Giants are giving Lavar big bucks, so you can scratch them also.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Smith22 said:

Things I think..

1) The spread of value at linebacker is a little broader than the Ohio State alums here want to admit. There will be good ones available throughout the first round.

2) Despite that, I believe pretty much in the -premise- of what you are suggesting, which is that the *best value* at many positions we may consider is going to be at the end of the first round. I believe that to be true of NT, certainly of C, probably at G. The point of the trade down is to play the off the options and accumulate value thereby.

It may be worth holding onto #18 until the time of the pick, just to see if an exceptional value falls. But once time is on the clock, I think it's Jeff and Bill and JJ and Stephen who need to call the shots and take this club in the direction of its best value.

-Finally-, the additional value of a trade down, whether it be for a 1st, 3rd and 4th, or a 1st and 2nd, is in the additional picks. Use those frivolously and you throw away the value of the trade. Given that, focusing myopically on the first round pick is a mistake. You need to know the options throughout the whole of the draft.

David.

ghst187

Reaction score
sometimes, and you can only do this calculus on draft day as the picks unfold, it becomes....which is worth more to you?
Steven Jackson or Julius Jones AND Marcus Spears

It could come down this year to, which is worth more to us:
Manny Lawson or Carpenter AND Greg Jennings
Manny Lawson or Kamerion Wimbley AND Davin Joseph