CFZ My Thoughts Post Titans Game

DanA

Reaction score
  • We are threadbare on the o-line with Biadasz and Steele going down. Strangely enough after losing two starters we might now have our best five on the field.
  • Wilson might also make us better replacing Brown. There are matchups against shifty guys where I’d much rather Brown but Wilson ability to jam, cover in zone, and run support is an asset.
  • Our DT’s are bad and it throws off the whole defense. It’s probably the biggest question mark going into the playoffs and so much so I think success/failure largely lies on Hankins shoulders.
  • TY Hilton changes this offense for the better. We’ve seen glimpses but he’s got another gear IMO. His speed and nous is noticeable.
  • Gallup continues to move better but I’m losing hope on him returning to his best. He’s clever and his positioning/timing makes him a RedZone threat, also dangerous when plays breakdown, but I don’t think he has the explosion in and out of routes to seperate. I just don’t see that changing until he’s had a full pre-season.
  • We’ve got to limit the targets to Noah Brown and Peyton Hendershot. We have more reliable options and don’t need to be using them as much as we do.
  • I rate Kellen Moore and Dan Quinn very highly after what they’ve done this season. I feel like they’ve extracted full value out of the talent we have.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you're right about KM and DQ overall, although they are both much-maligned by Cowboys Nation right now. The offense has been like top 3 all season and the defense was really humming before injuries set in. It will be interesting to see how McCarthy handles the injury situation along with KM and DQ. How the players respond is paramount.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
SS Wilson and CB Brown play two different positions. I'd rather we re-sign Brown to put speed at the FS position, while letting Wilson play near the LOS. Kendall Sheffield could be our NCB next year.

We shouldn't be limiting throws to anyone, IMO. Because you want the defense to defend the whole field and everyone on it. One drop does not mean a guy is unreliable. Brown has had several passes tipped at the LOS that wobble into his hands here lately. So those drops are not entirely his fault.

These are just my opinions and opinions vary. To each his own.

DanA

Reaction score
SS Wilson and CB Brown play two different positions. I'd rather we re-sign Brown to put speed at the FS position, while letting Wilson play near the LOS. Kendall Sheffield could be our NCB next year.

We shouldn't be limiting throws to anyone, IMO. Because you want the defense to defend the whole field and everyone on it. One drop does not mean a guy is unreliable. Brown has had several passes tipped at the LOS that wobble into his hands here lately. So those drops are not entirely his fault.

These are just my opinions and opinions vary. To each his own.

Sorry, that was meant to be Wright not Wilson. I also agree once they hit the field, yes, there are no limitations but the OC can and should manipulate who gets targeted through scheme and whose on the field based on the skill set of his roster.

Last edited:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
  • We are threadbare on the o-line with Biadasz and Steele going down. Strangely enough after losing two starters we might now have our best five on the field.
  • Wilson might also make us better replacing Brown. There are matchups against shifty guys where I’d much rather Brown but Wilson ability to jam, cover in zone, and run support is an asset.
  • Our DT’s are bad and it throws off the whole defense. It’s probably the biggest question mark going into the playoffs and so much so I think success/failure largely lies on Hankins shoulders.
  • TY Hilton changes this offense for the better. We’ve seen glimpses but he’s got another gear IMO. His speed and nous is noticeable.
  • Gallup continues to move better but I’m losing hope on him returning to his best. He’s clever and his positioning/timing makes him a RedZone threat, also dangerous when plays breakdown, but I don’t think he has the explosion in and out of routes to seperate. I just don’t see that changing until he’s had a full pre-season.
  • We’ve got to limit the targets to Noah Brown and Peyton Hendershot. We have more reliable options and don’t need to be using them as much as we do.
  • I rate Kellen Moore and Dan Quinn very highly after what they’ve done this season. I feel like they’ve extracted full value out of the talent we have.
Good stuff, thanks for posting.

DanA

Reaction score
I think you're right about KM and DQ overall, although they are both much-maligned by Cowboys Nation right now. The offense has been like top 3 all season and the defense was really humming before injuries set in. It will be interesting to see how McCarthy handles the injury situation along with KM and DQ. How the players respond is paramount.

It’s crazy, what if we said:

• L.Collins and C.Williams will leave with only rookies coming in and a 40 y.o player on 1.8m for the season.
  • Tyron Smith won’t play til mid-December and will force your 1st round pick to shift from guard to starting LT for most of the season with basically zero pre-season reps.
  • Terence Steele will go down mid-December forcing Tyron Smith to return as a RT where he hasn’t played in a decade.
  • Biadasz will go down after Christmas forcing last years backup guard to play center, your 1st round rookie moves back to guard and the 40 y.o basically vet min player to start LT
  • Amari, Cedric Wilson, and Jarwin will be replaced by a vet min player and rookie that basically don’t see the field.
  • Dak will miss five games
  • Gallup will take longer than expected to return from ACL and even then still not look 100% all season.
And we have one of the best offenders in the NFL. Now that’s overcoming adversity!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Moore is very inconsistent...one game his game plan looks like a genuis and the next game he is calling a middle school game plan. I wasn't sure what he was trying to do last night against titans. he was telegraphing every run play, there was almost no play action, no screens to RBs, not much swing passes out to RBs, who had some early success, the run plays were in obvious formations, including which direction we planned to run. last night we were just the more talented team and we pulled it out.

Gallup is not as explosive, and usually takes a couple of years to truly recover from an ACL injury. he is still physical and can get up and make some catches, but he is slow and undecisive in/out of his cuts. seems not to fight for positioning himself when he needs to .

cnuball21

Reaction score
Agree with all.

Im actually a bit concerned how poorly we’ve looked running the ball 2 weeks in a row. These are the types of Ds we’re going to face in the playoffs and we’ve really struggled to get the run game going. That leads to pass happy exposing our weaknesses of limited WRs and pass pro.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Gallup is building his confidence as all wide receivers have to do after major surgery. We’re gonna see what’s gonna happen with this offensive line.It’s a big concern we just need more offensive lineman you don’t know it until you need them in the offense is falling apart

visionary

Reaction score
My thought is simple

This should be the year

NFC is horrible
Our 2 main opponents have back up QBs
All other positions pale in comparison

there is ZERO excuse for failure this year

if we cannot get to the SB this year it is an abject failure of coaching and players IMO

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Wright has his issues. His size can be a blessing or a curse. I think he can play and that was a big time interception that pretty much ended the game. He was worthy of a third round comp pick.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Good post except for that last bullet. Moore has been terrible as usual and Quinn has done zero to address the defensive issues that have plagued the team. I like Quinn more but he is not the genius people here thought he was.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
My thought is simple

This should be the year

NFC is horrible
Our 2 main opponents have back up QBs
All other positions pale in comparison

there is ZERO excuse for failure this year

if we cannot get to the SB this year it is an abject failure of coaching and players IMO
Don't let the media fool you though. There is nothing "horrible" about the Eagles and 49ers. Even the Vikings. They don't have the QB's the AFC teams have but they have some stout defenses. That 49ers defense is legit. I do think when we step on the field we should have the best QB in the game and for that alone I feel we should at the very least make it to the NFC championship even if we may have to fight on the road....

DanA

Reaction score
Agree with all.

Im actually a bit concerned how poorly we’ve looked running the ball 2 weeks in a row. These are the types of Ds we’re going to face in the playoffs and we’ve really struggled to get the run game going. That leads to pass happy exposing our weaknesses of limited WRs and pass pro.

I wonder how much the run game drop off relates to losing Steele? We played a couple of pretty good run defenses, one without Pollard but yeah, it’s not looked great recently, I suppose we can point to us still scoring which has been a positive even if it’s against backup QB’s.

shabazz

Reaction score
Don't let the media fool you though. There is nothing "horrible" about the Eagles and 49ers. Even the Vikings. They don't have the QB's the AFC teams have but they have some stout defenses. That 49ers defense is legit. I do think when we step on the field we should have the best QB in the game and for that alone I feel we should at the very least make it to the NFC championship even if we may have to fight on the road....

I agree with the first part of your response but as far as us having the “best QB in the league”, I disagree

Hurts is an MVP candidate, Cousins is playing at a high level, and it doesn’t matter who the Niners Qb is.( not to mention all the better qbs in the AFC) Dak is currently leading the league in ints even having missed 5 games. However, he’s had moments of greatness along with all the turnovers…..his inconsistency is emblematic of this team.

we simply don’t know which Dak and which Cowboys team will show up but because the have peaks as well as valleys I believe they can steal 2 games in the playoffs……at best

cnuball21

Reaction score
I wonder how much the run game drop off relates to losing Steele? We played a couple of pretty good run defenses, one without Pollard but yeah, it’s not looked great recently, I suppose we can point to us still scoring which has been a positive even if it’s against backup QB’s.

It could be, but I don’t think 1 guy would swing it so much especially considering Tyron is filling in.

I’m just very nervous our first playoff game is going to look like SF where our OL got whooped and ruined the whole game.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
When is Hankins supposed to be back