My unofficial poll of Raiders and Commanders fans

superpunk

Reaction score
Unofficial, of course - from another forum, where I axed some people what they thought of Norv's time in their respective Teams. We'll do Oakland first. The good and the bad.

Raiders will likely have few good things to say about Norv.

If you believe what Jerry Rice says about Norv in his new book, it pretty much mirrors what Raiders fans thought about him.

“Norv (Turner, then-coach of the Raiders) was never really head coach material … He couldn’t control the players and guys like Charles Woodson walked all over him. Woodson routinely showed up for practice and meetings when he felt like it, along with some teammates.”
I actually didn't mind him as a head coach compared to our last one, but that's not saying much.

I just think he's better suited for being an offensive coordinator. As a HC I don't think he asserts himself enough with the players. He'll just sit back and not do anything if something goes wrong, almost hoping that it will go away. At times I don't think the players really knew who the hell the coach was.

He's basically too passive to be a HC IMO. He's the anti-Parcells. His crappy record here might be more of a reflection of the organization, which was as bad then as it is now. He could be successful as your HC because the Cowboys are more established in terms of winning then we were. But, I don't think he could take your team to the next level. You already have a good offense, so Phillips would be the better choice as a defensive coach.
i don't know if it's a hate thing...he's just got the demeanor of an accountant, and in many ways, he had that same puzzled look that Art Shell had when things (often) went afoul here...
he's done well as a coordinator, but i don't know if he can succeed as a head coach..
No, not really. I think when Al hired him, our rebuilding mode got pushed back two years.
Our offense seemed to get worse. Some of that may have been Gannon getting hurt and being replaced with Collins, but our offense was basically stuck in neutral for the two years he was here. With the Cowboys, I don't think he can improve the offense more, since it's already good.
As far as the drafts, Al has major control over that, so I don't know if Turner had much say in the decisions. Overall, he's not the guy that will get you over the hump.
Yeah, no kidding. Just imagine the things T.O. could/would get away with, with Norv as HC.
The players had no accountability whatsoever and it showed on the field.
And Skins fan...
The problem with Norv, and you'll see this if he becomes your HC, is that he inspires mediocrity. He's just so... dull. I believe that he just doesn't haven't the personality to be a head coach. It doesn't have anything to do with his offense/schemes... anything like that. From what I recall, the players here all liked playing for him, and we had solid (but not great) offenses with him. He's so wishy-washy, tho.

With us, this always manifested itself at the end of close games... we could be down 35-33 (because our defense suuuuucked), we've got the ball with 2 mins to play, and we as Commanders fans just KNEW that was the way it was gonna end. 9 out 10 times, anyway.
More to come, as the survey continues....

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
As Parcells told Sean Payton..."If you are afraid of confrontations, you better not be a HC."

The stories that Norv wouldn't address a problem head on are very troubling.

Woods

Reaction score
That's what many of us think as well, unfortunately.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
superpunk;1347280 said:
Unofficial, of course - from another forum, where I axed some people what they thought of Norv's time in their respective Teams. We'll do Oakland first. The good and the bad.

And Skins fan...
More to come, as the survey continues....

Well, that is really what most of "us" are saying. I would embrace him as an OC...but not the mouthpiece of the Cowboys.

Also, I would like someone else that is a strong coach, but, a coach that has never worked for JJ...because if Norv really does let players walk on him, just think what JJ would do? :confused:

I just don't know what to think anymore!

superpunk

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;1347291 said:
As Parcells told Sean Payton..."If you are afraid of confrontations, you better not be a HC."

You've got to love how Jerry Rice described Woodson walking all over him. Thank goodness we don't have any problem prima-donna's on our roster.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
superpunk;1347297 said:
You've got to love how Jerry Rice described Woodson walking all over him. Thank goodness we don't have any problem prima-donna's on our roster.

Uhhh, I think we do have a prima-donna on our team! However, I think T.O. can handle him...

:cool:

Woods

Reaction score
5Stars;1347295 said:
Well, that is really what most of "us" are saying. I would embrace him as an OC...but not the mouthpiece of the Cowboys.

Also, I would like someone else that is a strong coach, but, a coach that has never worked for JJ...because if Norv really does let players walk on him, just think what JJ would do? :confused:

I just don't know what to think anymore!

If/When Norv is appointed HC, he better hire a no nonsense DC.

A real hard *** . . . .

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe Aikman can help him out in those circumstances.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Woods;1347301 said:

A real hard *** . . . .

I don't know anymore, Woods...:confused:

This whole thing is turning into one big fuster-cluck as far as I'm concerned!

:eek:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
superpunk;1347297 said:

Well, I don't know if we can read anything from that. Evern if Norv may have wanted to do something, remember they have Al Davis as their GM.

It's the same situation with respect to Jerry that we have here. So, unless Jerry has changed, and allows Norv to instill that discipline (if he wasn't allowed to for certain players in Oakland), then maybe he can deal with them. I never heard of any player problems with Norv in Washington, but maybe I just forgot about them.

If Jerry is back to his old ways, then we're in trouble regardless who's the head coach.

superpunk

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1347317 said:
It's the same situation with respect to Jerry that we have hear. So, unless Jerry has changed, and allows Norv to instill that discipline (if he wasn't allowed to for certain players in Oakland), then maybe he can deal with them. I never heard of any player problems with Norv in Washington, but maybe I just forgot about them.

I'm pretty sure Michael Westbrook can be tossed on Norv's plate.What a mess that guy was. {Punched Stephen Davis out, didn't he?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Regardless of what Raider fans think there isnt a coach out there that can win with the type of stipulations that team had when Norv got that job.

They signed way to many old players to contracts and are still paying for it.

I dont think the Raiders will recover from it for at least another 3 years.

superpunk

Reaction score
CATCH17;1347348 said:
Regardless of what Raider fans think there isnt a coach out there that can win with the type of stipulations that team had when Norv got that job.

They signed way to many old players to contracts and are still paying for it.

I dont think the Raiders will recover from it for at least another 3 years.

FWIW, the Raiders are currently 14 mil under the cap. I'm more concerned with the fact that he didn't make them any better, and commanded no respect and no discipline than what his final record was. He couldn't handle Charles Woodson. That's child's play compared to Dallas.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Woods;1347301 said:

A real hard *** . . . .

Unfortunately, that guy is now in Atlanta. :banghead:

DipChit

Reaction score
Still makes me wonder why he even took that job in Oakland..

I guess he just wanted to be a HC that much. Too bad it couldnt have been with any of the 6 other teams that signed HC's that year before the Raiders did.

Hmmm... come to think of it we're last in line this year too as it pertains to inking a new HC.

Common Sense

Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong, but all signs point to Jerry becoming the next Al Davis and the Cowboys becoming the next Raiders.

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score

The stories from what, a bunch of guys on a message board?

Look, I'm not that thrilled about the prospect of Norv being our Head Coach right now, but Judas Priest, you are taking these guys' word as if they were in the locker room when it all went down.

If you want to build a case against Norv by quoting some articles to that effect, at least that's a step up. Just keep in mind, though, that these are the opinions of a bunch of folks on a message board, who are probably no more brilliant than you or I.

superpunk

Reaction score
stealth;1347419 said:
how does one conduct an official pole?

If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

But it has something to do with a ladder, a chainsaw, some pepto-bismol, and Norv Turner's daughter.