My unofficial poll of Raiders and Commanders fans

Reaction score
Norv Turner better have some backbone if he plans on dealing with someone like T.O. You think Randy Moss is a problem in Oakland!

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
If you want some insight into the early Norval years in Washington go to the www.washingtonpost.com website

Go to the Commanders section

Go to "history"

It has the Washington Post's official Washington Commanders history (which was published in early 1998 I believe)

Talks about some of the early years of Norv in Washington. Good resource

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
superpunk;1347353 said:
FWIW, the Raiders are currently 14 mil under the cap. I'm more concerned with the fact that he didn't make them any better, and commanded no respect and no discipline than what his final record was. He couldn't handle Charles Woodson. That's child's play compared to Dallas.

His starting Quarterback also got hurt and had to end his career early in the season.

tunahelper

Reaction score
superpunk;1347297 said:
You've got to love how Jerry Rice described Woodson walking all over him. Thank goodness we don't have any problem prima-donna's on our roster.

Bring on Singletary!

jgboys1

Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;1347797 said:
If you want some insight into the early Norval years in Washington go to the www.washingtonpost.com website

Go to the Commanders section

Go to "history"

It has the Washington Post's official Washington Commanders history (which was published in early 1998 I believe)

Talks about some of the early years of Norv in Washington. Good resource
Washington Commanders 1998 Season Recap

Week 1: New York Giants 31, Commanders 24
Quarterback Gus Frerotte hurt his shoulder after throwing back-to-back interceptions and the offensive line gave up eight sacks in the season-opening loss.
Week 2: San Francisco 45, Commanders 10
The Commanders dropped to 0-2 for the first time in Coach Norv Turner's five-year tenure after getting schooled on Monday Night Football.
Week 3: Seattle 24, Commanders 14
The Commanders showed improvement on offense, but turnovers proved to be their undoing as Washington fell to 0-3, their worst start since 1981.
Week 4: Denver 38, Commanders 16
The Broncos handed the Commanders their second-straight humiliating defeat leaving Washington zero for September.
Week 5: Dallas 31, Commanders 10
After dropping to 0-5, Commanders veteran Darrell Green described the state of affairs as "the worst situation I have been in as a Commander."
Week 6: Philadelphia 17, Commanders 10
The loss to the hapless Eagles left the Commanders as one of only two NFL teams without a victory in 1998.
Week 7: Minnesota 41, Commanders 7
Coach Norv Turner described the loss to the Vikings "as poor a performance as I can say I've ever been involved with."
Week 8: Bye Week

Week 9: Commanders 21, New York Giants 14
After not earning a victory the first two months of the season, the Commanders finally got into the win column against the Giants.
Week 10: Arizona, 29, Commanders 27
After Washington rallied in the final minutes of the game, Arizona's Joe Nedney hit a 47-yard field goal with two seconds left to clinch the win.
Week 11: Commanders 28, Philadelphia 3
A season of disappointment and misery was brightened slightly with a convincing win over the Eagles.
Week 12: Arizona 45, Commanders 42
In a game that could be considered a microcosm of Washington's season, the Commanders fell behind early, rallied late and still lost to the Cardinals.
Week 13: Commanders 29, Oakland 19
Trent Green threw for three touchdowns as the Commanders surprised Oakland for Washington's first road win of the season.
Week 14: Commanders 24, San Diego 20
For just the fifth time in Norv Turner's tenure, the Commanders rallied from a fourth-quarter deficit to earn a victory.
Week 15: Commanders 28, Carolina 25
Washington tried to regain some measure of dignity for the 1998 season after winning for the third consecutive week.
Week 16: Commanders 20, Tampa Bay 16
A 13-point fourth-quarter performance against the NFC's top-ranked defense helped the Commanders beat Tampa Bay. Week 17: Dallas 23, Commanders 7
The Commanders finished off the disappointing 1998 season the same way they started it: with a loss.

That aint so bad......:ralph:

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
That was my first concern with hiring Norv. We have a personality on this team who went toe to toe with tough guy coaches.
Owens VS Norm? owens
Owens VS Garrett? owens
Owens VS Jones? owens

Give me Mike.
Mike VS owens Mike:D

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
jgboys1;1347822 said:
Washington Commanders 1998 Season Recap

:

And this was one year prior to Dan Snyder showing up in DC

About as pitiful (until this past season) Commanders season I may have ever witnessed

deadrody

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;1347291 said:
As Parcells told Sean Payton..."If you are afraid of confrontations, you better not be a HC."

The stories that Norv wouldn't address a problem head on are very troubling.
I don't totally agree. You think it's bad in Dallas where Jones is presumed to be in control ? Do you think Charles Woodson saw the coach as the ultimate authority, or Al Davis ? What's Norv going to do, suspend Woodson ? HA! Good one. Then he runs to Al and complains, Norv is over-ruled and looks like an ***. Al Davis is the one that sets the precedent in Oakland that the place is chaos - the inmates run the asylum. Norv should have never taken that job in the first place.

CounterTrey

Reaction score
To put it simply I think he's the worst thing to ever happen to my team. We're still trying to recover from the Club Med he created while here.
but just to back things up with a few numbers:

Mind you he had a record scoring O one year (only the Rams broke the records for scoring evn further than the Skins did) and had teams that some folks thought were loaded with talent yet still nothing but disappointment.

His HC record:

• 1994 3-13
  • 1995 6-10
  • 1996 9-7
  • 1997 8-7-1
  • 1998 6-10
  • 1999 10-6*
  • 2000 7-6*
2000 btw was the year that the whole world said we were one of the mopst talented rosters ever and were supposed to make the big show....HAH! yea right.

The Commanders became famous for choking or not even showing for big games especially anything on national TV. It was amazing to behold the lack of discipline and utter joke that our players thought playing in that organization was a few short years after the Gibbs regime. We had people in the locker room selling bling for crying out loud.

His teams were famous for vyying for league leads in stupid penalties like False starts and motion/procedure or too any men on the filed...I could go on. We had our star QB headbutt a cement wall and our star WR beat the crap out of our star RB in practice. We had the biggest bust in franchise history on his watch...the same guy Turner coveted from day one and told the whole nation he'd be a star and he'd stake his career and reputation on it. Heath Shuler just ran for Congress....a regular Super Bowl MVP.

His gameplans were scripted for the first series or two but after that...must have been a dartboard for all the success it had under adversity. the guy was horrible at on the fly adjustments, abandoned the run at the drop of the hat (which continued in Miami, SD, and Oakland) when things got tough and his teams virtually NEVER won a close game or came from behind.

Norv's teams were absolutely maddening for showing flashes of brilliance only to choke away a game in the last 2 minutes. We coined the terms Norvousness and Norvitis because of it. He had a team start 7-1 only to miss the playoffs.
He had a losing record against the division by a long shot and even managed to have a losing record against the Cardinals...when the Cardinals sucked worse than they do now.

I could go on and on and on and on with a laundry list of information but the bottom line is pretty easily summed up by his record.

Good coordinator, lousy HC and motivator.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1347302 said:
Maybe Aikman can help him out in those circumstances.

I'd prefer Aikman keeping his probosis out of our business. Stick to being the apple of Joe Buck's eye, Troy--you are better at it.

He has done enough damage already.

A dull wishy washy one like him might approve of Turner, but that doesn't make him a good head coaching choice for us.