My Updated Mock

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
I eventually (hopefully soon) would like to do this with a run-through of possible off-season scenarios and the way that they might impact our draft, but I don't have to time right now so I'm just doing a quick mock with explanations for each pick.

1a. DeSean Jackson WR Cal- We've really missed Terry so far this year, and knee injuries at his age are never a good thing. Jackson can step in immediately and provide yet another spark-plug for this already explosive offense. People like to compare him to Ted Ginn, but I think he'll be more like Santonio Holmes in the NFL. Plus after missing out on McFadden, this is probably one of the biggest splashes that JJ can make.

1b. Mike Jenkins CB USF- Good size and speed for a DB, and he's good at playing the ball in the air. Not afraid to lay the lumber on somebody and has played both CB and S, which is a plus. With Reeves and Nate Jones both being UFA this offseason, I think this guy would be able to step right in to the nickel packages.

2. Dantrell Savage RB Ok State- I really like Julius and wish that we could keep him, but somebody will offer him more money than he's worth for the job he's doing here in Dallas. Most have probably never heard of this guy, and most will probably be surprised but once you watch him you shouldn't be. He's got legit 4.4 speed and runs with intensity similar to MBIII's. He is a good all-around back and should fill JJ's spot just fine.

3. Dwight Lowery CB San Jose St- Behind Newman and Henry, you've got Reeves (UFA), Jones (UFA), Evan Ogelsby (EFA), and Alan Ball (Practice Squad). Not exactly awe-inspiring, is it? Many see Lowery's stats and think that he will go higher than this, but IMO he'll run a little bit slow at the combine. Take that with his inconsistent performances and lack of experience against top competition, and I believe he'll slide a little bit.

4. Jaison Williams WR Oregon- I don't know what it is about this kid, but I really like him. He's got excellent size for a WR at 6'5" 240lbs but he isn't the quickest guy around (4.61 electronically timed 40). Could blossom into a very nice possession receiver and big red zone threat.

5. Matt Spanos OL USC- A huge sleeper heading into the draft. He's spent 2 seasons academically ineligible, but when he has played he's made the most of it. He can play any position along the OL, but has been playing at C this year. His size, demeanor, and versatility should be a welcomed addition to our team.

6. Joe Flacco QB Delaware- A former Pittsburgh recruit that transfered to Delaware after playing behind Tyler Palko for 2 years. He's got proto-typical size at 6'6" 230lbs. He's got the arm strength to be a drop-back passer, but he's also athletic enough to avoid the rush and make plays with his feet.

7. Jonal Saint-Dic DE/OLB Michigan St- I don't really like our depth at OLB and this pick is usually BPA anyways. Saint-Dic is currently playing DE, but at 6'1" 255lbs he won't stay there in the NFL. He has been absolutely insane this year though for the Spartans: 10 sacks, 14 TFL, and 8 FFs in 11 games this season.

dallasfan

Reaction score
cowboysfan31;1760135 said:
1a. DeSean Jackson WR Cal- We've really missed Terry so far this year, and knee injuries at his age are never a good thing. Jackson can step in immediately and provide yet another spark-plug for this already explosive offense. People like to compare him to Ted Ginn, but I think he'll be more like Santonio Holmes in the NFL. Plus after missing out on McFadden, this is probably one of the biggest splashes that JJ can make.

Have we missed Glenn? Yeah the offense will be better with a "speed" wr, but saying we've missed Glenn is an over statement. IMO, Jackson is a big risk. He's small in the Steve Smith/Santana Moss mold, and these type of guys get injured often. Santana Moss has been horribly inconsistent through out his career, and I'm not sure Jackson is better. He's been banged up a lot this year and has disappeared in several games.

1b. Mike Jenkins CB USF- Good size and speed for a DB, and he's good at playing the ball in the air. Not afraid to lay the lumber on somebody and has played both CB and S, which is a plus. With Reeves and Nate Jones both being UFA this offseason, I think this guy would be able to step right in to the nickel packages.

IMO, he won't be there at 31 or where ever we pick (late first) , so based on that I can't complain with this pick. Fills a need and good prospect.

2. Dantrell Savage RB Ok State- I really like Julius and wish that we could keep him, but somebody will offer him more money than he's worth for the job he's doing here in Dallas. Most have probably never heard of this guy, and most will probably be surprised but once you watch him you shouldn't be. He's got legit 4.4 speed and runs with intensity similar to MBIII's. He is a good all-around back and should fill JJ's spot just fine.

To be honest, if we're not going to trade up for McFadden, I'd rather sign Michael Turner and have him split carries with Barber. I'm not a Julius Jones fan, but if/when we replace him, I'd rather it be someone who's better now, or very soon, instead of 3+ years down the road, if at all.

3. Dwight Lowery CB San Jose St- Behind Newman and Henry, you've got Reeves (UFA), Jones (UFA), Evan Ogelsby (EFA), and Alan Ball (Practice Squad). Not exactly awe-inspiring, is it? Many see Lowery's stats and think that he will go higher than this, but IMO he'll run a little bit slow at the combine. Take that with his inconsistent performances and lack of experience against top competition, and I believe he'll slide a little bit.

4. Jaison Williams WR Oregon- I don't know what it is about this kid, but I really like him. He's got excellent size for a WR at 6'5" 240lbs but he isn't the quickest guy around (4.61 electronically timed 40). Could blossom into a very nice possession receiver and big red zone threat.

This is why I'd be in favor of trading up for McFadden. Do we need two CBs and two WRs? Owens, Crayton and Hurd have been great. I recognize the need for a speed guy, but I'd rather get someone like Dorien Bryant in rd 3, than DeSean Jackson (BTW I'd much rather have Mario Manningham than Jackson). Since we're not desperate for a WR why not see what Isiah Stanback can do? As far as CBs go, I think we should resign Jacques Reeves and have him compete with a rookie. For the fifth CB let take a late round prospect or let Alan Ball and Evan Oglesby compete.

So if we keep all our picks, it's not needed for us to take 2 CBs and 2 WRs

5. Matt Spanos OL USC- A huge sleeper heading into the draft. He's spent 2 seasons academically ineligible, but when he has played he's made the most of it. He can play any position along the OL, but has been playing at C this year. His size, demeanor, and versatility should be a welcomed addition to our team.

I'd have no problem with this, anyone who can play center is cool here.

6. Joe Flacco QB Delaware- A former Pittsburgh recruit that transfered to Delaware after playing behind Tyler Palko for 2 years. He's got proto-typical size at 6'6" 230lbs. He's got the arm strength to be a drop-back passer, but he's also athletic enough to avoid the rush and make plays with his feet.

I'd be in favor of drafting a QB higher, maybe even 4th if someone like Henne or Ainge fell.

7. Jonal Saint-Dic DE/OLB Michigan St- I don't really like our depth at OLB and this pick is usually BPA anyways. Saint-Dic is currently playing DE, but at 6'1" 255lbs he won't stay there in the NFL. He has been absolutely insane this year though for the Spartans: 10 sacks, 14 TFL, and 8 FFs in 11 games this season.

I wouldn't go LB at all. Maybe I'm over estimating our roster but 8 rookies won't make the team. Definately not 4 second day picks.