My View on What Needs to Happen Before the Draft

Sandyf

Reaction score
Here we are at the end of the second week of free agency and Dallas has done a few things and appear to be on the verge of doing a couple of more signings or trades. Most of we fans have calmed down a bit over not signing or probably even attempting to sign Earl Thomas and any other free agent fans viewed as being critical to the success in 2019 for the Cowboys.

We all are dreaming of a Super Bowl although many think we are to far off to dream about it and other are to caught up in this player or that player to think the player will make the difference of getting to a Super Bowl. The reality is about the team, all 53 + guys make a difference from off season work to training camp to regular season to the playoffs. Injuries always take a toll for every team. And we all know starting 3-5 isn't the end of hope especially after last year.

So what does Dallas need to do to get better before the draft to secure at least hope for fans that things are going to be okay in 2019? We have made some modest improvements with a few upside guys that fit the scheme on defense with Covington at DT and Ryder at DE as both can play DT/DE although I believe the Cowboys see them as rotation DT types, Covington with Woods and Ryder with Collins, at least for now. We did sign Cobb who for practical purposes replaces Beasley. So not flashy but upgrades over last year and that includes Beasley as with Cooper and Gallup and Witten targets are going to be fewer than last year as the ball will get spread around much more.

But Dallas needs to take the next step in free agency to secure the take the best available that fits your schemes in the draft. Trading for Quinn is one of the steps. What Quinn gives us is a legit RDE especially with Gregory status unknown and even if Gregory gets back then a great rotation at RDE. Forget Taco being a RDE, he never was or will be. He is a LDE and a rotation guy with Lawrence. Alexander is unknown at this point but just might be a player we want which we will find out in training camp. Getting Quinn allows Dallas to not have a better defense overall but allows the draft to come to them with maybe the exception of safety.

Safety is the other position Dallas needs to fill soon. We all wanted Thomas, and now its wanting Berry. Berry would be fine but only if his health checks out and the contract is structured to not hamstring Dallas. There is still problems with his heel, possibly bone spurs so why would anyone want a safety that can only play a few games if any. There are still a few options in free agency and fit what Dallas is apparently looking for in a strong safety, i.e. an upgrade over Heath. Even in the draft it appears the guys they are looking to bring in can play FS and SS, much like what Woods can do. The good thing for draft is unless a SS is exceptional, those FS usually are drafted first so it could very well play into better draft decisions. The fact is though, they really need to sign a safety in free agency if only for depth purposes.

Dallas could possibly also sign another DT in Malik McDowell. Another of those super talented guys with all the measurables and lacking something in the smarts area. His health, both physical and mental really need to be checked out before signing him though. He is a wait and see situation although he is a classic case of feast and famine.

The last thing before the draft is getting Lawrence resigned. Hoping it happens soon because he does need shoulder surgery and frankly Dallas needs him for a variety of reasons. First, he shores up the defense that needs to take the next step to being better. Second, it shows Dallas really does care about there own. Sure injuries can and will happen where you then wonder why you signed a guy long term. Those happen to every team and it is a risk you live with on all players. Third, the respect from the team and locker room will grow and if you have ever been part of a team you know it does make a difference in wins and losses.

Sure all of us would also like to see the extensions on Dak, Zeke, Cooper and Jones (and possibly Jaylon Smith) happen so we can debate how wonderful or stupid we believe Dallas is for extending them for that ungodly amount of money. Isn't that what keeps fans invested though, right or wrong. The free agency period is about setting up depth or filling holes so you make much better decisions on draft weekend. You know on April 25th, there will be trades for QBs that opinions vary on and frankly just for me, none of them should be 1st round picks especially with the talent at QB coming out in 2020 and 2021 but hey I'm not a GM for any of those teams. What those trades and other trades for guys many believe should be 2nd or 3rd round guys, is that it will most likely push players Dallas has rated down the board maybe just maybe into our laps. Now that is what I want to see.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Randy Gregory is really hurting this team. It makes Quinn almost a necessity especially when you watch Stephen T-Rex Jones negotiate with Lawrence. I also think signing McDowell will be a big help because it gives them options at the 3T. Berry??? I just don't know. Guy has played in 3 games the last 2 years. Dallas is in win now mode so having another key guy being unreliable is a big pass if I was in charge. Ultimately I want the draft to yield a starting quality 1Tech and S. Heath MUST NOT start. Never, ever, ever, ever again.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Randy Gregory is really hurting this team. It makes Quinn almost a necessity especially when you watch Stephen T-Rex Jones negotiate with Lawrence. I also think signing McDowell will be a big help because it gives them options at the 3T. Berry??? I just don't know. Guy has played in 3 games the last 2 years. Dallas is in win now mode so having another key guy being unreliable is a big pass if I was in charge. Ultimately I want the draft to yield a starting quality 1Tech and S. Heath MUST NOT start. Never, ever, ever, ever again.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/A1vW/geico-alligator-arms-its-what-you-do

Rayman70

Reaction score
Berry needs to be BERRY and if he can't, then its a hard pass. He only helps us on the field when healthy. We have coaches, we don't need another locker-room warrior. If we can squeeze 1 year out of him without breaking the bank,I'm on board. But the medical has to be ok.

conner01

Reaction score
Berry needs to be BERRY and if he can't, then its a hard pass. He only helps us on the field when healthy. We have coaches, we don't need another locker-room warrior. If we can squeeze 1 year out of him without breaking the bank,I'm on board. But the medical has to be ok.
With berry and McDowell
Both could help this team
Neither can help if they can’t get and stay healthy

StarBoyz83

Reaction score

Heard the medical wasnt ok with him. (Bone spurs)

Verdict

Reaction score
Good points!! I'd like to add Berry. He can be a great mentor for our young guys back there.

Just having Witten on this team should make the safeties all pro. I mean, seriously, would you expect any less with that kind of leadership?

Verdict

Reaction score

No. The leadership is enough according to some here. See: Witten, Jason

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Good points!! I'd like to add Berry. He can be a great mentor for our young guys back there.

stay away from hurt players and expecting them to coach or mentor. Isn't a coach supposed to do that? I just don't see the point. Let's draft well and get better. JMO

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Berry is the most identifiable name left at this point, I give you that, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Berry is the BPA SS available still.
There is a certain 26 yr old Falcon SS UFA that is rather intriguing.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Here we are at the end of the second week of free agency and Dallas has done a few things and appear to be on the verge of doing a couple of more signings or trades. Most of we fans have calmed down a bit over not signing or probably even attempting to sign Earl Thomas and any other free agent fans viewed as being critical to the success in 2019 for the Cowboys.

We all are dreaming of a Super Bowl although many think we are to far off to dream about it and other are to caught up in this player or that player to think the player will make the difference of getting to a Super Bowl. The reality is about the team, all 53 + guys make a difference from off season work to training camp to regular season to the playoffs. Injuries always take a toll for every team. And we all know starting 3-5 isn't the end of hope especially after last year.

So what does Dallas need to do to get better before the draft to secure at least hope for fans that things are going to be okay in 2019? We have made some modest improvements with a few upside guys that fit the scheme on defense with Covington at DT and Ryder at DE as both can play DT/DE although I believe the Cowboys see them as rotation DT types, Covington with Woods and Ryder with Collins, at least for now. We did sign Cobb who for practical purposes replaces Beasley. So not flashy but upgrades over last year and that includes Beasley as with Cooper and Gallup and Witten targets are going to be fewer than last year as the ball will get spread around much more.

But Dallas needs to take the next step in free agency to secure the take the best available that fits your schemes in the draft. Trading for Quinn is one of the steps. What Quinn gives us is a legit RDE especially with Gregory status unknown and even if Gregory gets back then a great rotation at RDE. Forget Taco being a RDE, he never was or will be. He is a LDE and a rotation guy with Lawrence. Alexander is unknown at this point but just might be a player we want which we will find out in training camp. Getting Quinn allows Dallas to not have a better defense overall but allows the draft to come to them with maybe the exception of safety.

Safety is the other position Dallas needs to fill soon. We all wanted Thomas, and now its wanting Berry. Berry would be fine but only if his health checks out and the contract is structured to not hamstring Dallas. There is still problems with his heel, possibly bone spurs so why would anyone want a safety that can only play a few games if any. There are still a few options in free agency and fit what Dallas is apparently looking for in a strong safety, i.e. an upgrade over Heath. Even in the draft it appears the guys they are looking to bring in can play FS and SS, much like what Woods can do. The good thing for draft is unless a SS is exceptional, those FS usually are drafted first so it could very well play into better draft decisions. The fact is though, they really need to sign a safety in free agency if only for depth purposes.

Dallas could possibly also sign another DT in Malik McDowell. Another of those super talented guys with all the measurables and lacking something in the smarts area. His health, both physical and mental really need to be checked out before signing him though. He is a wait and see situation although he is a classic case of feast and famine.

The last thing before the draft is getting Lawrence resigned. Hoping it happens soon because he does need shoulder surgery and frankly Dallas needs him for a variety of reasons. First, he shores up the defense that needs to take the next step to being better. Second, it shows Dallas really does care about there own. Sure injuries can and will happen where you then wonder why you signed a guy long term. Those happen to every team and it is a risk you live with on all players. Third, the respect from the team and locker room will grow and if you have ever been part of a team you know it does make a difference in wins and losses.

Sure all of us would also like to see the extensions on Dak, Zeke, Cooper and Jones (and possibly Jaylon Smith) happen so we can debate how wonderful or stupid we believe Dallas is for extending them for that ungodly amount of money. Isn't that what keeps fans invested though, right or wrong. The free agency period is about setting up depth or filling holes so you make much better decisions on draft weekend. You know on April 25th, there will be trades for QBs that opinions vary on and frankly just for me, none of them should be 1st round picks especially with the talent at QB coming out in 2020 and 2021 but hey I'm not a GM for any of those teams. What those trades and other trades for guys many believe should be 2nd or 3rd round guys, is that it will most likely push players Dallas has rated down the board maybe just maybe into our laps. Now that is what I want to see.

I suppose you mean Armstrong and not CZ Poster "Alexander"?