My Wish: Preseason starting OL for each game

50cent

Reaction score
Would love to see the coaching staff give an open competition and break down the preseason starts with the skilled 1s like this.
HOF vs MIA
Smith - Livings - Fred - Mack - Free
Put your shiny new toy on display surrounded by experienced vets

Game 2 vs OAK
Smith - Killer - Costa - Leary - Parnell
Time to see what we have in Killer and Leary. Costa gets his chance to prove his worth by directing some pup guards.

Game 3 vs ARI
Smith - Leary - Fred - Arkin - Free
It's Fred's turn to lead a couple of pup guards as well as taking a look at Arkin with Leary showing if he can be a viable option at the LG spot.

Game 4 vs CIN
Smith - Living - Costa - Mack - Parnell
Dress rehearsal with most of the '12 designed starters protecting Romo. Parnell gets the long rehearsal. Time for him to ____ or get off the pot. Same for the staff on making a decision between he and Free!

Game 5 vs HOU
Smith - Arkin - Fred - Killer - Free
Orton starts!! LAST chance for Arkin to secure a future with this franchise. Also Free and Killer get extensive work to evaluate their potential roster spot or role with the team in '13

IDK, just a thought!

blindzebra

Reaction score
Can not disagree more.

They need to pick the starts as soon as possible and let them gel as a unit.

50cent

Reaction score
Its more for psyche purposes. Not one player on the line is head and shoulders better than their competition outside of Smith. Right now we have a bunch of backups at every other position with the exception of center and hes a rookie. Some of these guys had 16 weeks to gel and ruined their chance. Next backup up until we draft real OL talent.

blindzebra

Reaction score
50cent;5088806 said:
Its more for psyche purposes. Not one player on the line is head and shoulders better than their competition outside of Smith. Right now we have a bunch of backups at every other position with the exception of center and hes a rookie. Some of these guys had 16 weeks to gel and ruined their chance. Next backup up until we draft real OL talent.

OL gels as a unit, not individually.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
blindzebra;5088792 said:
Can not disagree more.

They need to pick the starts as soon as possible and let them gel as a unit.

This.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I would rather see Smith Travis, Costa, Livings/Leary Free/Parnell unless Killer is ready to step in I would go with Smith, Killer, Travis, Leary, Parnell A very good agile line that works hard and aren't lazy. I doubt they would put that much youth on the field but I think that could shape up to being a very solid line. I think Killer makes a huge jump this year and actually might push for a starting spot.

50cent

Reaction score
And how do you evaluate which guys should gel, by the way they blk Ratliff and Hatcher in practice?! The same guys that you know their tendencies from practicing vs them day in and day out. They need to be judged by what they do vs unfamiliar competition because not one of them has skins on the wall or draft status to warrant a starting spot via PRACTICE! Especially after that performance last season.

blindzebra

Reaction score
50cent;5088813 said:
And how do you evaluate which guys should gel, by the way they blk Ratliff and Hatcher in practice?! The same guys that you know their tendencies from practicing vs them day in and day out. They need to be judged by what they do vs unfamiliar competition because not one of them has skins on the wall or draft status to warrant a starting spot via PRACTICE! Especially after that performance last season.

Seriously did you watch last season?

Our starters played 1.5 games together all season.

They were not all together in preseason either.

We need Leary, Kolwalski and Arkin getting as many first unit snaps as possible through the HOF game and after that I want the starters in place.

50cent

Reaction score
blindzebra;5088817 said:
Seriously did you watch last season?

Our starters played 1.5 games together all season.

They were not all together in preseason either.

We need Leary, Kolwalski and Arkin getting as many first unit snaps as possible through the HOF game and after that I want the starters in place.

Like I said, we don't/didn't have STARTERS last year. We had a starter (Smith) and a gang of backups and they played more than enough last year together sans Costa (the position we drafted this year to replace him) to gel. With that being said, there are 3 weak/uproven spots on the OL and training camp isn't enough time to see if you have something in Leary, Killer, Arkin, Parnell. We know what we have in Mack and Livings. And if you're saying OTA and training camp are enough to eval and improve this line, then you're saying its based on what they do vs guys theyve practiced against on their own team. BAD IDEA!

I'm all for gelling as long as you select the best INDIVIDUALS for the positions, then let them gel. We don't know who the best INDIVIDUALS are for those 3 spots. How can you determine which individuals deserve those 3 spot with the season fast approaching?

blindzebra

Reaction score
You had all last season to see them in practice or in games. OTA, Mini Camp, Training Camp, our usual scrimmage with another team and our extra preseason game. If starters have not shown themselves by then, they won't and we'd still be better off picking 5 and rolling.

A unit on the same page can cover up individual inadequacies, a constantly shuffled unit leads to players trying to do too much and multiple individual breakdowns.

50cent

Reaction score
blindzebra;5088826 said:
You had all last season to see them in practice or in games. OTA, Mini Camp, Training Camp, our usual scrimmage with another team and our extra preseason game. If starters have not shown themselves by then, they won't and we'd still be better off picking 5 and rolling.

A unit on the same page can cover up individual inadequacies, a constantly shuffled unit leads to players trying to do too much and multiple individual breakdowns.

True for those guys active last season, but guys like Arkin, Leary and Killer didn't get to prove what they could do in this system last year in games. If you want to give them a fair chance then they need as many game reps vs other teams 1s as possible to get a true eval. Not one player outside Smith on the line should just be handed 1 reps. Spread them evenly and if you want to take the first 3-4 preseason games to determine the GELLERS, fine, just base it on who earned it in game-like situations.

50cent

Reaction score
As for the same page theory, what good does it do to have a guy that can think the game, but can't play dead? This is how I view Livings, Mack, Costa and Free, smart guys that just are overmatched too often. Time to see if the other guys can think, carry out their assignment and physically dominate more often than not.