MySa Blog: Can Cowboys duplicate Texas Stadium success?...Jerry talks suites

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can Cowboys duplicate Texas Stadium success?
By Tom Orsborn on May 27, 09 09:25 PM | Permalink | Comments (2)

ARLINGTON - Ring of Honor member Cliff Harris said he hopes Tony Romo and Co. take ownership of Cowboys Stadium that same way Harris and his gang did Texas Stadium when they moved there from the Cotton Bowl during the 1971 season.

Harris said playing in a new stadium was a factor in the Cowboys reaching the Super Bowl that season. Dallas shredded Miami 24-3 in Super Bowl VI.

"We felt like, 'This is our new home and we have to make the most of it,' " Harris said. "Hopefully, this team will feel the same way."

Harris was one of several former players in attendance at the ribbon-cutting ceremony Wednesday. Others on hand included Drew Pearson, Jethro Pugh, John Niland, John Fitzgerald, Bob Lilly, Michael Irvin, Chuck Howley, Mel Renfro, Rayfield Wright and Chad Hennings.

Jerry Jones talks suites
By Tom Orsborn on May 27, 09 09:09 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

ARLINGTON - Cowboys owner Jerry Jones stressed several times during Wednesday's ribbon-cutting ceremony at Cowboys Stadium what an accomplishment it is to build such a costly structure during a recession. The tough economic times has prevented him from selling the stadium's naming rights and selling all of the suites.

"I sold one today," he said with a smile. "As sensitive as we are with the economy, our fans realize this is a long-term commitment. We're probably pushing 280 (luxury suites sold) and that's for a total of probably a little over 300, probably a little closer to 315-320."

It could be a long time before Jones gets finds a partner for the naming rights. As one industry expert said recently, the smart move is to just wait out the recession rather than take whatever comes along.

Remember, naming rights helps pay for signing bonuses. With that in mind, don't think for a minute that Jones isn't concerned that many analysts predict the economy won't rebound fully until well into 2010.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2790339 said:
Harris was one of several former players in attendance at the ribbon-cutting ceremony Wednesday. Others on hand included Drew Pearson, Jethro Pugh, John Niland, John Fitzgerald, Bob Lilly, Michael Irvin, Chuck Howley, Mel Renfro, Rayfield Wright and Chad Hennings.
With the exception of Lilly, Irvin, Renfro and Wright, there were several candidates attending the ribbon-cutting ceremony who could easily be inducted into the new Cowboys Stadium Ring of Honor. My personal favorite would be Pearson. I wonder if that crossed anyone's mind during the ceremony?

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
DallasEast;2790587 said:
With the exception of Lilly, Irvin, Renfro and Wright, there were several candidates attending the ribbon-cutting ceremony who could easily be inducted into the new Cowboys Stadium Ring of Honor. My personal favorite would be Pearson. I wonder if that crossed anyone's mind during the ceremony?

I think Jerry has some beef with Pearson, or the other way around, not sure what it is though.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PullMyFinger;2790751 said:
I think Jerry has some beef with Pearson, or the other way around, not sure what it is though.
DallasEast;2607927 said:
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/93762

Dispute Between Pearson, Jones Over Trademark Examined
Monday, May 9, 2005

Drew-Pearson.jpg

Men Of Honor: Pearson Says
Trademark Was Not Producing

The dispute over the trademark to the Cowboys’ Ring of Honor between team Owner Jerry Jones and Drew Pearson Marketing, the licensing company of former Cowboys WR Drew Pearson, was examined by Tom Orsborn of the SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS-NEWS. In ’93, Pearson, without Jones’ knowledge, gained the trademark from the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. Pearson: “We presented the Cowboys a proposal of what we wanted to do. Jerry was interested, but he wanted to study it himself.” While Jones “eventually decided to produce his own Ring of Honor merchandise,” Pearson said, “We told him he couldn’t because we had the trademark.” Pearson gave up the trademark in ’95. Pearson: “It wasn’t producing for us. There was no need to re-register. The only way we would have done something with it was if it was in connection with the Cowboys, and we had a difficult time getting them to do that.” Univ. of Texas law professor Ronald Mann said that it is “unlikely Pearson could have profited from the trademark.” Mann: “Under trademark law, the Cowboys would get an exclusive right to use ‘Ring of Honor’ in the market in which they were using it as soon as they used it enough for consumers to identify that name with the Cowboys” (SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS-NEWS, 5/7).

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Jerry, if you want the audience to concentrate on you, don't use two hotties as a backdrop.

610x.jpg

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
More Landry players than Jimmy/Jerry players in attendance? Who would have thought?