MySa Blog: Hurd has plenty of catching up to do

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hurd has plenty of catching up to do

IRVING - With his breakout two-catch, 115-yard, one-TD performance against Green Bay, Miles Austin has clearly established himself as the team's No. 3 receiver.

Unless, of course, Sam Hurd returns with a vengeance.

Hurd, a graduate of San Antonio Brackenridge, doesn't have Austin's speed, but he's a better possession receiver who runs crisp routes and has good hands.

But Hurd lacks Austin's explosiveness and big-play ability, something the offense needs to stretch the field.

Hurd told reporters on Monday he's been cleared to play Sunday against Washington. Hurd miss the first three games with an ankle injury sustained in preseason.

"I'm 99 to 100 percent right now," Hurd said. "I can break and do everything."

But can he regain his job as the No. 3 receiver?

Comments [0 Posted]: Read - Post

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I know many fans hate this idea, but i don't think we will be in bad hands with a top WR , Hurd, and Austin as our Top 3 WR.

Is it ideal? no

But can we win in december and january, and feb? I believe so. Hurd is a good #3, and Austin can be the speed threat, with a top WR(Roy W?) that can be the TO we have now

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The depth at wide receiver was a lot deeper than it first appeared to some when the injuries began. Austin has really developed into a solid receiver and Hurd was looking very good during preseason. We have Terrell Owens at number one. Crayton and Austin possibly competing at number two. Austin and Hurd possibly competing for number three. That's quality depth through and through. Add a Roy Williams to the mix and it's as solid as any wide receiver corps during this decade.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Very good to see Austin and now Hurd back.

Nexx

Reaction score
yep, i wanna see hurd push crayton for the #3 spot.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Hurd's impact will be bigger helping us with coverage on ST units than at WR. Still a very valueable player.

ddh33

Reaction score
Their jobs should be pretty simple. Just get open and catch the ball. TO and Witten are going to get all the attention.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Hurd has plenty of catching up to do

IRVING - With his breakout two-catch, 115-yard, one-TD performance against Green Bay, Miles Austin has clearly established himself as the team's No. 3 receiver.

Unless, of course, Sam Hurd returns with a vengeance.

Hurd, a graduate of San Antonio Brackenridge, doesn't have Austin's speed, but he's a better possession receiver who runs crisp routes and has good hands.

But Hurd lacks Austin's explosiveness and big-play ability, something the offense needs to stretch the field.

Hurd told reporters on Monday he's been cleared to play Sunday against Washington.

Hurd miss the first three games with an ankle injury sustained in preseason.

"I'm 99 to 100 percent right now," Hurd said. "I can break and do everything."

But can he regain his job as the No. 3 receiver?

sbark

Reaction score
ddh33;2283690 said:
Their jobs should be pretty simple. Just get open and catch the ball. TO and Witten are going to get all the attention.

thats right.......simply beat 1 on 1 coverage consistently and in the same read as Romo see's from behind center......

we hear all training camp on how kids who have since been cut abuse our cb's in the 1on 1 drills..........well it then should be acheivable for the wr's that made the roster.........

consistently and in the read of the offense.....it simple

Crayton has not proved he can "consistently do it", Austin has shown a 1 game flash he can...........the trend is your friend....let it roll

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
if we get our hands on chad johnson or roy williams....crayton will not be here next year

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
bbailey423;2284732 said:
if we get our hands on chad johnson or roy williams....crayton will not be here next year

why do you think that? Crayton is a great #3,