MySa Blog: Ratliff off to fast start... Tank "more fable than fact"

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ratliff off to fast start

MILWAUKEE - Cowboys nose tackle Jay Ratliff is off to a fantastic start, a fact that has Packers coach Mike McCarthy worried.

"I think he's a hell of a football player and the anchor of that 3-4 defense," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said.

Ratliff logged a career-best five tackles and one sack against Cleveland in the opener. Last Monday night, he recorded five stops, one sack, one tackle for a loss and a quarterback pressure against the Eagles. He topped that outing by recovering Donovan McNabb's fourth-quarter fumble, a play that allowed the Cowboys to escape with a 41-37 victory.

Asked why Ratliff is so good, NBC analyst John Madden said simply, "He's no blob."

Madden makes a great point. At 300 pounds, Ratliff is lean and mean, a perfect fit for Wade Phillips' one-gap system.

Now if the Cowboys could only get something out of Ratliff's backup, Tank Johnson. As one NFL offensive assistant told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, "He's more fable than fact. He's the one guy that we felt we could double team."

Comments [0 Posted]: Read - Post

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2273449 said:
Ratliff off to fast start

MILWAUKEE - Cowboys nose tackle Jay Ratliff is off to a fantastic start, a fact that has Packers coach Mike McCarthy worried.

"I think he's a hell of a football player and the anchor of that 3-4 defense," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said.

Ratliff logged a career-best five tackles and one sack against Cleveland in the opener. Last Monday night, he recorded five stops, one sack, one tackle for a loss and a quarterback pressure against the Eagles. He topped that outing by recovering Donovan McNabb's fourth-quarter fumble, a play that allowed the Cowboys to escape with a 41-37 victory.

Asked why Ratliff is so good, NBC analyst John Madden said simply, "He's no blob."

Madden makes a great point. At 300 pounds, Ratliff is lean and mean, a perfect fit for Wade Phillips' one-gap system.

Now if the Cowboys could only get something out of Ratliff's backup, Tank Johnson. As one NFL offensive assistant told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, "He's more fable than fact. He's the one guy that we felt we could double team."

Comments [0 Posted]: Read - Post
the film don't lie...which is why I was always concerned when i hear tank and/or pac man have become leaders on this team....really concerned when i hear that

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
bbailey423;2273529 said:
the film don't lie...which is why I was always concerned when i hear tank and/or pac man have become leaders on this team....really concerned when i hear that

Why is that concerning?

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
tomson75;2273531 said:
Why is that concerning?

Well, they have been here for a year, and 4 months. Neither one of them have played at a level a leader should.

I dont think either is a leader. We have our leaders. Tank and Pac aren't one of them.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2273708 said:
Well, they have been here for a year, and 4 months. Neither one of them have played at a level a leader should.

I dont think either is a leader. We have our leaders. Tank and Pac aren't one of them.

Well the team disagrees. It doesn't take away from our other leaders...it adds to the character of our team. I'll take that anyday.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
tomson75;2273734 said:
Well the team disagrees. It doesn't take away from our other leaders...it adds to the character of our team. I'll take that anyday.

Then why isnt Tank or Pac one of the 8 captains on this team?

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2273774 said:
Then why isnt Tank or Pac one of the 8 captains on this team?

My bad. I didn't realize that we were only allowed a certain number of leaders. :confused:

Why in the hell does it bother you that some of our backups want to step up and lead younger players? How does this bother anyone? It makes ZERO sense.

I'm confused.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
tomson75;2273782 said:
My bad. I didn't realize that we were only allowed a certain number of leaders. :confused:

Why in the hell does it bother you that some of our backups want to step up and lead younger players? How does this bother anyone? It makes ZERO sense.

I'm confused.
Not to mention these are low dollar guys we picked up. The risk reward is in our favor. Typically you have to give players a year or two to settle in on their new team.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
tomson75;2273782 said:

I'm confused.

Maybe because of their of production thus far.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2273844 said:
Maybe because of their of production thus far.

:banghead:

Then ***** about their 'production', rather than them wanting to help lead the team. Make sense?

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
tomson75;2273782 said:

I'm confused.

Dont assume that I'm "bothered" by this. Or that I dont want them to lead younger players. I simply stated I do not think they are leaders on the team as a whole. They havent been here long enough, and their play does not merit the respect from their teammates to be called a leader.

Do you think Tank or Pac is truly a leader on this team? Seriously. And I mean a LEADER. Not someone who is outspoken with the media, and has a loud personality. A leader. Because there is a big difference between the two. Maybe we just have different definitions of a leader.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2273875 said:
Dont assume that I'm "bothered" by this. Or that I dont want them to lead younger players. I simply stated I do not think they are leaders on the team as a whole. They havent been here long enough, and their play does not merit the respect from their teammates to be called a leader.

Do you think Tank or Pac is truly a leader on this team? Seriously. And I mean a LEADER. Not someone who is outspoken with the media, and has a loud personality. A leader. Because there is a difference between the two.

Ok, I'm just going by what I've read...things that other people closer to the team have noted, but when a player goes out of his way to help younger guys, that's pretty much the definition of leadership. They might not be Micheal Irvins, or even Captains on this team...but they can lead. you don't have to be a starter to be a leader.

You can lead by your actions. You can lead through emotion. You can lead through sharing experience. It's not usually frowned upon if you do these things and you aren't a face of the franchise.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
tomson75;2273893 said:
Ok, I'm just going by what I've read...things that other people closer to the team have noted, but when a player goes out of his way to help younger guys, that's pretty much the definition of leadership. They might not be Micheal Irvins, or even Captains on this team...but they can lead. you don't have to be a starter to be a leader.

You can lead by your actions. You can lead through emotion. You can lead through sharing experience. It's not usually frowned upon if you do these things and you aren't a face of the franchise.

I'm not saying you have to be the face of a franchise. But Tank has been here a year. PacMan has been here 5 months. Do you really think they've established themselves as a leader in that short amount of time? I dont. And as I've said, their play sure does not merit them to be a leader, so that aspect is ruled out.

I've heard the same thing about Tank emerging as a leader, but I take it with a grain of salt. I've heard the same thing about Spears, Hamlin, Newman, and so forth. But im my opinion none of those players are leaders on defense. The leaders on defense are Bradie James and Greg Ellis, and thats it in my opinion.

It seems we just have a different view of what a leader is. I do not view Tank or Pac as leaders of this team at all. They may grow into a leadership role, but right now they havent been with us long enough, nor has their play been to the standard that a leader should be held to.

Just my .02

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
tomson75;2273865 said:
:banghead:

Then ***** about their 'production', rather than them wanting to help lead the team. Make sense?

how are you going to try to be a leader when your play on the field is suspect

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2273924 said:
I'm not saying you have to be the face of a franchise. But Tank has been here a year. PacMan has been here 5 months. Do you really think they've established themselves as a leader in that short amount of time? I dont. And as I've said, their play sure does not merit them to be a leader, so that aspect is ruled out.

I've heard the same thing about Tank emerging as a leader, but I take it with a grain of salt. I've heard the same thing about Spears, Hamlin, Newman, and so forth. But im my opinion none of those players are leaders on defense. The leaders on defense are Bradie James and Greg Ellis, and thats it in my opinion.

It seems we just have a different view of what a leader is. I do not view Tank or Pac as leaders of this team at all. They may grow into a leadership role, but right now they havent been with us long enough, nor has their play been to the standard that a leader should be held to.

Just my .02

You're missing my point.

It doesn't matter whether or not YOU think they've been here long enough to act as leaders on this team. It matters whether or not the team feels they are acting in such a manner. Whether or not they actually are is debatable, but most reports have disagreed with what you think.

I'm not saying you're opinion is wrong, as you're entitled to it, but it seems that the people that are actually effected by the players in question wouldn't agree. It just seems like you're elevating these particular player's 'leadership' reports to a level that isn't intended. they aren't taking leadership roles away from James and Ellis, but rather helping James and Ellis in leading the team.

Personally, if we have 53 players on this team with leadership qualities, I'm cool with it...but thats just me.

Brandon

Benched
Reaction score
Tank Johnson wont be back when his contract runs up, and thank God. Let him collect his guns somewhere else, what a pathetic hobby anyways. "Guns" get real.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2273938 said:
how are you going to try to be a leader when your play on the field is suspect

You're right. I'm sure that the young receivers in Denver were completely ignoring Jerry Rice his last year in the league.

...and no, I'm not comparing Tank or Jones to Rice. I'm simply providing an example of why your comment is silly.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
tomson75;2273948 said:
You're right. I'm sure that the young receivers in Denver were completely ignoring Jerry Rice his last year in the league.

...and no, I'm not comparing Tank or Jones to Rice. I'm simply providing an example of why your comment is silly.

it is silly your comparison that is

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
I would rather have the term "leader" attached to Tank and Pac, than say, "distraction", or "thug".

And like tomson said, it really doesn't matter what we think. If the other players and coaches look to them for some leadership, that's fine enough with me.