Narrowing it down?

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kind of an odd year to say the least.
Due to obvious issues, teams are not having all the visitors they would normally have.
This normally would give us a little of a clue as to who the Cowboys are interested in drafting whether that be from the limited visits from prospects or the number of visits from players that are in the general area.

Also we have seen the Cowboys be more active in FA from outside FAs than we have seen in some time. Jason gone and or Mike M in seems to be a difference or just because they have such a large number of FAs from our own team either moving on or yet to be signed means a larger influx to come onto the team.

So now we have to try and get information about who they met at the combine. We also might try to figure out what positions of need could still be pressing AFTER signing FAs.

So let's look at a few positions of need, look at who they may have talked to at the combine that might be first round targets and look at how those positions may or may not have been filled via FA to get a possible Idea of who they might be targeting with their first pick. And unless things change with Mike McCarthy, they Cowboys usually have a few players they like and more often than not they zero in on a player they like and think will be available to them. (off the top of my head I know they pretty much had T.Smith, LVE, T. Hill) But that is not always the case.

Looking at a list of who they have talked with our shown interest in ( https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/27/2020-nfl-draft-cowboys-pre-draft-prospect-visit-tracker/ )

It would appear they have looked at more DL than any other position.

However they have brought in McCoy, Poe, Looks to be bringing in Aldon Smith and probably bringing back Gregory. That is 3 players on the D line being brought back and one that was suspended that should be brought back with the NFL rule changes.

So even if they are still thinking about using a first round pick on the D Line lets look at who they have shown interest in who would be considered a first round option. Keep in mind by saying interest or no interest I am just going by that list as we really do not know how interested they might be in other players not on the list.

Javon Kinlaw and K Chaisson seems to be the only first round options that they have visited with.
Most think D. Brown would be long gone. We are not even sure that Kinlaw will be there.
The only other two options that could be there AJ Epenesa or Y Gross-Matos. And those last three names are NOT on the list of players they have shown interest in. The only viable first round DL they have shown interest in is Kinlaw who might not be available by the time the draft rolls around.

They have not shown any interest in any first round OL. I doubt that has changed even with Fredbeard retiring.

They have not shown any interest in any first round WRs however I would imagine that if one of the top three did fall to our draft slot they would have to consider it.

There should probably only be one LB taken, Simmons, before our slot so Murray or Queen should be there but they have shown no interest in any first round LBs. I read that they were going to have Murray be a visit so even though he is not on that list there was word that he was going to be one of the visits.

The only first round S they have shown interest in is Grant Delpit. No connections to McKinney.

The only CBs that could be considered first round that they have shown interest in is CJ Henderson, C. Fulton and T.Diggs. Very Small chance that Okudah would fall. Some have linked us to CJ but I don't know that he falls either with Jacksonville and Atlanta needing CBs.

There are no first round TEs they have shown interest in and I don't know that there are any TEs in this draft that would be considered options at 17.

And sorry for any Dak haters...chances of them taking a QB in the first round are slim to none. So don't even argue that in this thread.

Now unless a few players happen to drop who most do not consider dropping (like Okudah, D. Brown, Chase Young they top couple of WRs JJ or CeeDee ) I think we can rule them out. One of those two WRs MIGHT be there but I don't think they plan on it happening. It would be hard for them to pass up on those players but I don't think that they think they will be there. I would also include 2 or possible 3 of the top OTs that are not expect to fall. If it was too good to be true that they were available than they would have to entertain the idea of taking one if nobody else is there they like.

With all of that said I think we could argue that the following players could be there and could be an option with some of them having been shown they have had interest in them and a few not. This is also without the idea of a possible trade up or down.

Players that they could choose at 17 that could be available and they have shown some interest in...

Javon Kinlaw (and as the draft draws close he seems to be climbing up the boards)
K. Chaisson
CJ Henderson (same as Kinlaw)
K. Fulton ( could be considered a first or second rounder)
T. Diggs (could be considered a first or second rounder)
G. Delpit

Players that could be available but they have not shown interest in

AJ Epenesa
Y Gross-Matos
X. McKinney
K Murray (word that he was going to be a visit)
P Queen

So I don't think they will take an Oline unless the picks they wanted are gone and/or one of the top 2-3 happen to fall to them.

I don't think they take LB unless Simmons falls to them. However if they are wiped out and/or they don't think LVE will be back they could take Murray.

They attacked the D Line in FA but they are all short contracts to that does not prevent them from taking a D Line here. Doubt Brown or Chase fall to us. Kinlaw might not fall to us but I think he would be a strong consideration if he does. K. Chaison, could be there and could be a consideration. Although I have not seen any interest in Epenesa or Gross-Matos..those would be the three others that could be considerations.

No to QB at this time...sorry haters.

If Jerry or Ceedee fall that could be a consideration although this is a strong WR class so I imagine they would wait to 2nd or later. Not ruling out Ruggs but I think it would be the other two that would give them pause and consider.

That leaves us with CB and S

They brought in HaHa but are still thin in this area

I think it is reasonable to think that barring some players possibly dropping that the first round pick with be a DB whether safety or Corner back or DL/DE

I think Okudah does not drop far enough but if he did maybe they trade up. I think CJ Henderson might go a few picks before us but they could consider a trade up. If he falls to us I think they take him.

I think they may have a player they really like and a player that they really believe will be there and plan on taking.

I think the player will be one of the following if available.

Kinlaw
Chaisson
Delpit
Fulton
Diggs

And it might be a slight shock to some but I do think that they may be falling for Fulton or Diggs because it is a position of need, they think it is a player that will be available to them and they start falling in love with the player to the point it might take some players out of consideration.

I think they had this idea with LVE in the draft. They figured he would be available and they loved him and instead of trading down and taking a chance of losing him they took him where they were and passed on some players they may have had rated higher.

I think the same thing happened with T. Hill. I think they fell in love with him and thought he would be available to them at that spot.

So don't be shocked if Diggs or Fulton will be the pick.

Just saying.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
This draft just reeks of a trade down. I think there is little chance Henderson or Chaisson are still there at 17. Reaching for Diggs or Fulton would be awful IMO. I don’t think either are a first round talent. Starting to see Delpit fall into the second so I think you can trade back and get him as well.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This draft just reeks of a trade down. I think there is little chance Henderson or Chaisson are still there at 17. Reaching for Diggs or Fulton would be awful IMO. I don’t think either are a first round talent. Starting to see Delpit fall into the second so I think you can trade back and get him as well.
How much do they like Kinlaw? I personally think if you just take in to account in field ability, he would go ahead of Brown. But that knee is an issue that could drop him to 17. And how concerned would the Cowboys FO be with that knee? He could fall to 17, and they could still pass

cnuball21

Reaction score
My short list at 17 is a bit different, I’ll include both Brown and Kinlaw bc DTs sometimes fall due to teams reaching on premium positions.

Lamb
Juedy
Brown
Kinlaw
Baun
Henderson

I think with the run on WRs, QBs and OTs early we might be surprised by who is available. If not, I’d prefer we try and trade down and not reach on someone like Fulton, Diggs, Chaisson, Delpit etc...

tm1119

Reaction score

Cant go into the draft looking only for a certain position. If both Henderson and Chaisson are gone as you suspect there would almost have to be very good prospect left at 17

Young
Simmons
Brown
Okudah
Kinlaw
Henderson
Ruggs
Jeudy
Lamb
Chaisson
Wirf
Becton

In no order, Those are the 12 prospects we absolutely shouldn’t pass on. I’ll be pretty shocked if 1 isn’t available.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I would love for a trade down for Diggs or Fulton in the 1st. Then trade back up for Delpit in the 2nd. I know the opinions on Delpit are negative but he played most of the season with a high ankle sprain. The guy was top 10 in everyone’s ranking because of his 2018 season and then suddenly dropped to the 2nd round in most mocks.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One other thing to consider.
Perceived strength of position in this draft.

We know in the past when they wanted DE and CB that they rolled the dice and took DE first because the depth in the draft at CB was greater. Hence the reason to take Taco in the first and taking Chido and Lewis later in the draft.

This is what makes me think they don't take a WR in the first unless one of the three fall. This seems to be good draft for WRs.

Do THEY think this is a good class for DE, DL and DBs and which do they think has more options for them. That very well could also play into who they take in the first.

If they feel that DE is weak in this draft they might take a Chaisson, Epenesa or Gross-Matos in the first and gamble on getting a CB later.

If they think that they need DB more and feel they want to take a Fulton or Diggs because they don't think they will be available later and they see them as much better prospects than others later...well you get the picture.

Also will not rule out a trade up or down.

They have not done much of that in the first round the last few years.

But I could see them possibly trading up to 14 if Henderson or Kinlaw is there and they want to jump atlanta and or denver to get one.

They could get a good trade option if Herbert or Love fall to them but I am not sure either actually do fall to them and that would probably be our best chance to get decent value in a trade down.

morasp

Reaction score
We lost Jones and haven't replaced him. We lost Quinn and haven't replaced him. We lost Cobb and haven't replaced him and the depth behind Cobb before we lost him was pretty thin.

We need a CB1, Edge rusher unless your comfortable with Simth (hasn't played for five years, Greogory (hasn't played for two years), and Crawford (injury prone and not really a pass rusher type), and slot WR. The WR class is deep so they should look at CB and Edge. Chaisson and Young would be the top two followed by Gross-Matos and Baun. At CB they've said they want ballhawk DBs and that would be Gladney and Johnson followed by Diggs and Terrell. Fulton seems like a boom/bust type player to me.

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My short list at 17 is a bit different, I’ll include both Brown and Kinlaw bc DTs sometimes fall due to teams reaching on premium positions.

Lamb
Juedy
Brown
Kinlaw
Baun
Henderson

I think with the run on WRs, QBs and OTs early we might be surprised by who is available. If not, I’d prefer we try and trade down and not reach on someone like Fulton, Diggs, Chaisson, Delpit etc...
DT has actually replaced CB amoungst the money 5 positions

cnuball21

Reaction score
One other thing to consider.
Perceived strength of position in this draft.

We know in the past when they wanted DE and CB that they rolled the dice and took DE first because the depth in the draft at CB was greater. Hence the reason to take Taco in the first and taking Chido and Lewis later in the draft.

This is what makes me think they don't take a WR in the first unless one of the three fall. This seems to be good draft for WRs.

Do THEY think this is a good class for DE, DL and DBs and which do they think has more options for them. That very well could also play into who they take in the first.

If they feel that DE is weak in this draft they might take a Chaisson, Epenesa or Gross-Matos in the first and gamble on getting a CB later.

If they think that they need DB more and feel they want to take a Fulton or Diggs because they don't think they will be available later and they see them as much better prospects than others later...well you get the picture.

Also will not rule out a trade up or down.

They have not done much of that in the first round the last few years.

But I could see them possibly trading up to 14 if Henderson or Kinlaw is there and they want to jump atlanta and or denver to get one.

They could get a good trade option if Herbert or Love fall to them but I am not sure either actually do fall to them and that would probably be our best chance to get decent value in a trade down.

Excellent point. The Taco draft would’ve been a grand slam if he wouldn’t have been a bust. I loved the strategy, and still feel like we did well getting Chido and and Lewis after.

DE is slim this year, and there’s solid depth at CB in mid rounds.

It doesn’t have to be the same strategy, but we should be thinking like this to max out value.

JBS

Reaction score
I've been saying this for a while. Credit to the OP, you broke it down incredibly thoroughly for the board..thank you, as that was a good read...whispers are starting to filter down, they really like Diggs..

I don't necessarily approve of this selection at 17

But T. Diggs is my guess for who our pick will be

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
McCarthy all but said they're going BPA, and I very seriously doubt that Diggs/Fulton are the best players on the board at 17.