NASA Names Astronauts to Next Moon Mission, First Crew Under Artemis

joseephuss

Reaction score
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/...to-next-moon-mission-first-crew-under-artemis

NASA Names Astronauts to Next Moon Mission, First Crew Under Artemis​

NASA and the Canadian Space Agency (CSA) announced the four astronauts who will venture around the Moon on Artemis II, the first crewed mission on NASA’s path to establishing a long-term presence at the Moon for science and exploration through Artemis. The agencies revealed the crew members Monday during an event at Ellington Field near NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston.

“The Artemis II crew represents thousands of people working tirelessly to bring us to the stars. This is their crew, this is our crew, this is humanity's crew,” said NASA Administrator Bill Nelson. “NASA astronauts Reid Wiseman, Victor Glover, and Christina Hammock Koch, and CSA astronaut Jeremy Hansen, each has their own story, but, together, they represent our creed: E pluribus unum – out of many, one. Together, we are ushering in a new era of exploration for a new generation of star sailors and dreamers – the Artemis Generation.”

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Maybe I'll do it. I just hope they can get the crew back safely. I'm just not real confident in NASA or military leaders of today.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Why are we going to the moon again? Just asking for a friend.
“We’re going back to the Moon for scientific discovery, economic benefits, and inspiration for a new generation of explorers: the Artemis Generation. While maintaining American leadership in exploration, we will build a global alliance and explore deep space for the benefit of all.”

That’s what NASA says.

The Artemis program is a plan to build a base there, both to learn more about the Moon and to study how to live elsewhere for an extended time - knowledge that will be useful for a mission to Mars in the future. This couldn't be done with the technology of 1970.

Eventually the moon is going to be mined and have military bases on it, maybe not in our lifetimes. But you can imagine the first country to have that is going to have a major influence on future space travel.

nobody

Reaction score
Why are we going to the moon again? Just asking for a friend.
$$$ That's why. It can be mined....also tech developed from it can be used in the future to colonize the solar system, assuming that ever happens. Personally, I don't think humanity can survive long off of Earth. Biologically we're too intrinsically linked.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Around the Moon? why just around?
wake me up when they have a live stream from there

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“We’re going back to the Moon for scientific discovery, economic benefits, and inspiration for a new generation of explorers: the Artemis Generation. While maintaining American leadership in exploration, we will build a global alliance and explore deep space for the benefit of all.”

That’s what NASA says.

The Artemis program is a plan to build a base there, both to learn more about the Moon and to study how to live elsewhere for an extended time - knowledge that will be useful for a mission to Mars in the future. This couldn't be done with the technology of 1970.

Eventually the moon is going to be mined and have military bases on it, maybe not in our lifetimes. But you can imagine the first country to have that is going to have a major influence on future space travel.
$$$ That's why. It can be mined....also tech developed from it can be used in the future to colonize the solar system, assuming that ever happens. Personally, I don't think humanity can survive long off of Earth. Biologically we're too intrinsically linked.
I get all that. But if it was so important, why did they wait this long? If they had gone just 20 years ago look how far advanced the entire program would be by now.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe I'll do it. I just hope they can get the crew back safely. I'm just not real confident in NASA or military leaders of today.
It will be safe. There is no way NASA will take shortcuts on this. If something bad happens and it was later discovered the accident was easily preventable it would shut NASA down for a very long time.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
This thread will take a wrong turn, just a question of when! :laugh:
I heard Tom Cruise was offered a role, but turned it down because he didn't want to share the spotlight with so many others.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I read about Jonny Kim the other day. Makes me feel like a waste of space. He’s a decorated Navy Seal, medical doctor, and astronaut.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I read about Jonny Kim the other day. Makes me feel like a waste of space. He’s a decorated Navy Seal, medical doctor, and astronaut.
Check out his interview on Jocko Willink's Youtube channel if you haven't yet.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Don't feel bad. Probably 99.99% of us would feel the same way if we were honest about it.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I get all that. But if it was so important, why did they wait this long? If they had gone just 20 years ago look how far advanced the entire program would be by now.
Budget problems; the Orion program sucked up a lot of the budget getting it going.

I am not really all that impressed with any of NASA's manned programs anymore. So cautious; so slow and so EXPENSIVE.

nobody

Reaction score
Budget problems; the Orion program sucked up a lot of the budget getting it going.

I am not really all that impressed with any of NASA's manned programs anymore. So cautious; so slow and so EXPENSIVE.
Heaven forbid they should be cautious and actually care about the astronauts' survival.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Heaven forbid they should be cautious and actually care about the astronauts' survival.
There speaks someone with no knowledge of the Apollo Program.

Bluntly speaking if you are exploring and taking risks then loss is INEVITABLE..

I had to work with NASA on Orion about 10 years ago; I was horrified at the waste and lack of willingness to take ANY RISKS at all.

You are not going to explore the COSMOS with that kind of attitude. Which is why its been 50 years since we were on the moon.

And NO its not because we did not have the tech. 30 years ago we had the tech to do what we are doing now just as well.

nobody

Reaction score
There speaks someone with no knowledge of the Apollo Program.

Bluntly speaking if you are exploring and taking risks then loss is INEVITABLE..

I had to work with NASA on Orion about 10 years ago; I was horrified at the waste and lack of willingness to take ANY RISKS at all.

You are not going to explore the COSMOS with that kind of attitude. Which is why its been 50 years since we were on the moon.

And NO its not because we did not have the tech. 30 years ago we had the tech to do what we are doing now just as well.
Okay, but if you know you can reduce the risk by a significant percent by delaying a year or two, what's the rush?