NASA video showed debris falling off Discovery.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
NASA video showed debris falling off Discovery.
Discovery roared into space today, carrying the first crew to orbit on a U.S. spacecraft since the 2003 Columbia disaster. Commander Eileen Collins described the ascent as her smoothest yet and said: "I couldn't ask for a better flight." But video from the liftoff showed what appeared to be a piece of debris falling off Discovery.
www.cnn.com

From me

Nasa said there is no way to completely keep debris from falling during launch but would look over all the video they have of the launch to make sure no damage was done to the shuttle.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
It happens - I would bet money they expected it to happen. But this time, I hope that they have taken the proper precautions.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
They also installed a boom arm with a camera so they could inspect the shuttle for damage. Also the space station crew are supposed to visually check the shuttle while it's docking. Hopefully there is nothing to it.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
There is a picture of the peice of debris on CNN's front page. its not a very clear shot.

They had planned on practicing repairs to external damage during this flight and hopefully know what to look for and how to repair any damage done.

EDIT: if any