Nate Newton sees it. Why don't they?

movaughn88

Reaction score
I'm not sure its a matter of not seeing that these guys are average-to-below average, it's that talent at some of these positions is very thin across the league, particularly OT.

There are decent teams out there with ideas of competing this season that can't fill their starting OL with decent players, especially at the Tackle position. It's very tough to have depth on the OL, and while I agree we could possibly have someone else besides Looney (who's at least average, adequate for spot duty) and Fleming, when you're paying massive dollars to 3 of your OL you can't afford to spend on depth. Hence you have to draft well. I can't argue that missing on Green is affecting our depth.

If they don't try to address some vet depth at OL this when final league cuts come around, I'll agree more with the sentiment on this thread.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
S and T needed seem to be elsewhere at present. They can get both but it may cost them esp S as other teams now in need as well.

I'm wondering if someone like George Illoka might be a S that's in the cards for us but yes, the cost might very well be prohibitive. Perhaps the Dallas FO would see fit to dip into their savings a bit if he's not overly demanding . . . to be continued. I'm also wondering if a suitable backup at OT will turn up. They don't usually come cheap, either. Let's hope this is one of those rare years when we'll get more than our share of breaks. ;)

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Here's an article discussing very much the same thing after the Atlanta debacle:

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...-Chaz-Green-mentally-going-forward-110472208/

Pollack mentions "losing the player". And ultimately, he lost far more than that, he lost his own job. And I think that was directly connected to Chaz Green. I've gone back and read and watched video from draft day, and the Green pick had Pollack's fingerprints all over it. And it appears that Bryan Broaddus was Pollack's Buddy and chief cheerleader along the way too.

But that fact is that he is, was, and always will be a fragile player, both physically and mentally. Weak on both areas, heck the guy can't even make it through practice! And then he gets into games and is routinely abused by second and third string players. Teams have to be licking their chops when they see him out there

The guy has never recovered from the Atlanta game and he never will. Why this stubborn team continues to try to delay the inevitable is beyond me. Cut the bum now and bring in someone else who hasn't proven themselves to be a failure. Give the team a chance at finding someone who might be able to play.

Time to stop beating this dead horse and just admit your mistake.
This same moronic idea kept us from taking a 1st or 2nd for Mike Jenkins after we acquired Carr and MO and Jenkins was going to be gone after the season anyway, kept us from taking Antonio Crommartie for Tashard Choice, and kept us from taking a 2nd for Marty Bennet after it was clear we weren't going to play him much.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it if you think we've been making smart decisions before the last few years.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Because you need bodies in preseason games. Just because he won’t make the final 53, he’s still good enough to play in the 4th quarter of preseason games.
Correct. Someone has suit up in these games. At this point in the preseason, it isn't easy to bring someone in off the street. Chances are that anyone that is worth replacing him is already on some other team. We would be best to wait until other teams trim their roster to find someone to replace him with. I think the final cuts are the sweet spot that the Cowboys are waiting for.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Here's an article discussing very much the same thing after the Atlanta debacle:

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...-Chaz-Green-mentally-going-forward-110472208/

Pollack mentions "losing the player". And ultimately, he lost far more than that, he lost his own job. And I think that was directly connected to Chaz Green. I've gone back and read and watched video from draft day, and the Green pick had Pollack's fingerprints all over it. And it appears that Bryan Broaddus was Pollack's Buddy and chief cheerleader along the way too.

But that fact is that he is, was, and always will be a fragile player, both physically and mentally. Weak on both areas, heck the guy can't even make it through practice! And then he gets into games and is routinely abused by second and third string players. Teams have to be licking their chops when they see him out there

The guy has never recovered from the Atlanta game and he never will. Why this stubborn team continues to try to delay the inevitable is beyond me. Cut the bum now and bring in someone else who hasn't proven themselves to be a failure. Give the team a chance at finding someone who might be able to play.

Saying a guy has lost confidence is a nice way of saying that he sucks. He has sucked since day #1. Although some will laughably point to a game or two where he filled in that he didnt get mauled.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Saying a guy has lost confidence is a nice way of saying that he sucks. He has sucked since day #1. Although some will laughably point to a game or two where he filled in that he didnt get mauled.

That's the sad truth. A two-game anomaly out of a busted four year career. But that's all that the few defenders left have to grasp for. Two games against lousy competition where the guy didn't embarrass himself or get hurt. Yay.

Call up the Bangladesh and Frank Pollack and see if they'll give you anything for him. Oh, never mind, they were the most recent team to abuse him. You can't even think that even they would give you anything for him now. Just cut him and bring in an unproven guy, someone not proven to suck.

J-man

Reaction score
He will not make this team as an OT. a OG? I doubt it but you never know. To bad M Martin went down, I liked the depth he gave us. K Edwards looks like he may be a decent option.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Chaz Green is a waste of a roster spot. Why is he still here?

I never agreed with a post more than this one.

I cant believe he was brought back after last year.... wait.... cant believe he was brought back after the Atlanta game!

He doesn't belong anywhere near a football field.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Chaz Green is a bizarre story...........

Green has the foot quickness, size and strength required but his technique is horrible.

....and so is his durability.
Even if they figured out how to cure his technique, they'll never be able to cure all his ailments.

Last edited:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
You know what concerns me, 15 years ago, many fans on the message boards wanted Andre Gurode on a noose. He moved to a different position, then becomes a 5X pro bowler. Put Green back at guard and see what happens.

What will happen is he'll still spend the majority of time injured. "Guard" doesn't change injury prone.
In Oxnard, he took a cart ride back to the locker room because of the heat. But......that day in Oxnard the temp was only in the 70s.
Chaz Green can't even practice in the 70's?

They need to dump this guy and get somebody who can handle the job.

Buzzbait

Reaction score

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Bolt/Dallas-Cowboys-afraid-of-losing-tackle-Chaz-Green-mentally-going-forward-110472208/

Good article Stasheroo. Not only does it lower the boom on Green, but it also shines the light on the HC who allowed his 2nd year QB to get mauled for 3 qtrs. against Atlanta before waking Chaz Green up from his nap and replacing him.
Garrett was almost as much to blame as was Green.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
....and so is his durability.
Even if they figured out how to cure his technique, they'll never be able to cure all his ailments.
I agree. They could deal with one or the other but not both.

a. Great player but struggles with injuries.
b. Bad technique but always healthy.